Author Topic: Vishnans and Shivans  (Read 14460 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
How could the transport not jump out and just wait for the bombs to get to it? It could have jumped to somewhere safer. Somewhere with Alpha1.

Freespace ships can rarely just jump out at an instant's notice. It appears to take quite a bit of planning and warming up, at least in the case of larger ships.

In fact, Samuel mentions that larger vessels aren't supposed to have comparable 'subspace maneuverability' to a fighter, which seems to involve the time between jumps. I doubt an Elysium has a particularly well-rated jump drive.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Particularly considering the relative age of the class and the possiblity this one has been flying around since the T-V War...
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Romanmolf

• n00b... And loving it
Right. They couldn't escape.

I certainly hope the Vishnans and Shivans return to the Blue Planet continuity in the "main" GTVA timeline. I highly doubt the current civil war will be looked upon kindly by the Shivans, and Sammuel is going to have some convincing to do with the Vishnans if humanity wants their continued protection.

Plus, it would be awesome to return some cosmic payback to the Shivans for fragging Capella by downing the SSJ Dante. Immortal balancers of the cosmos? Nothing lasts forever, and the Shivans? They can be replaced.

I'm all for character growth and introspection, I just think us as players should get one final shot at the Shivans.  :mad:

I'm sure the Vishnans understand that humanity isn't perfect. They talk a lot about humanity's potential in AoA, but just potential. They didn't say humanity had achieved it, with the possible exception of Samuel Bei. If they are watching, they'll be looking to see if humans (either side) can find a way to end the conflict peacefully; whether they can or can't will speak volumes about the species's development as a whole.

And I'm sure the Shivans will return. They got booted from the Great Council because of us. They won't look too kindly on that, methinks. I don't have any idea what in the GTVA's arsenal could possibly challenge the Dante, but...

Furthermore:
:necro:
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

An epic, multi-stage showdown where you actually get to "chip away at the bolder" before delivering the final blow?

One can dream anyway.

Now what would really get crazy would be a multi-dimensional showdown between Shivans! So crazy they seek to destroy each other! ... Or maybe not.  :D

I'm told we can expect them again, but not in my lifetime.

Bumbumbum...BP tie in? After all, who would be telling Alpha 1 that he can expect the Shivans or not that he would trust?
[/quote]

Actually, if you listen to that audio clip closely, it is most definitely appended. I think that one particular quote just means that we could expect a sequel from Volition/Interplay set farther into the future....But that's just me spitballing based on one little audio discrepancy.
I shat all over that Shivan fighter....right up 'till his buddy got me.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I think that change in audio tone for that last sentence was deliberate.  "Alpha 1" is speaking in very abstract, cosmic terms throughout most of the monologue, but for that last sentence, he takes on a much more personal view.  The audio filter changes in time from some sort of echo distortion to a much more human tone.  I thought it was a nice touch myself.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Actually, if you listen to that audio clip closely, it is most definitely appended.

Nope. In the "FreeSpace Reference Bible" (basically just a transcript of some draft-versions of the cutscenes), it actually has a cue for a shift in his voice. Sort of like an aside in a play.

Or maybe we're talking about something else.

Offline -Norbert-

I think that one particular quote just means that we could expect a sequel from Volition/Interplay set farther into the future....
And I think that means, they originally planned FS2 to start out from Earth, but then changed their plans to what was actually released....
Though I'm fairly sure that, if there had been either FS3 or an addon to FS2 it would have reopened the node to sol.