Author Topic: AoA ending questions (spoiler warning)  (Read 10497 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: AoA ending questions (spoiler warning)
...wut.

Didn't we already establish that para-Eriana could have been born the exact same year as our Eriana? Aboard the Sanctuary?

Offline Leeko

• Computer ketchup
  • Lurking since 2009
Just because Tell and Iwakura are sons of Great War vets doesn't mean everyone on the sanctuary is. :P

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
;-)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 01:38:33 am by High Max »
;-)   #.#   *_*   ^^   ^-^   ^_^

Offline Leeko

• Computer ketchup
  • Lurking since 2009
...instead of Bei's parents being in Capella or whatever system they lived in, they returned to Earth as it was being destroyed and stayed on that side of the node. Then the young parents boarded the Sanctuary and gave birth to Eriana later on.

Wait what? Eriana didn't become Eriana Bei until she married Sam. They're not siblings. :wtf:

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
;-)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 01:38:44 am by High Max »

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Eriana is Sam's wife.
Wasn't this discussion went over a while ago?

EDIT:
Before we go any further, Eriana was Sam's wife.  :P

Funnily, we also went over the "Terrene" thing.

I was going to say the same thing. 'Terrene' isn't exactly wrong in this sense, but it is rather like using a sentence like "I would as lief drive the Haywain to town as the Phaeton" in the 21st century.  It made me think of old science fiction novels such as something by E.E. Doc Smith when I saw it here. :)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 05:34:35 pm by Droid803 »
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Leeko

• Computer ketchup
  • Lurking since 2009
Eriana was his wife, she died on the transport exiting Capella. His mom, Mei Ling, was also on the transport. They both died. :(

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
;-)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 01:38:57 am by High Max »

As long as they had a soul and are not deleted from existance, we can feel a little better about it, and this campaign isn't supposed to be pure sci-fi and physical, I feel.

It was a sad part of the campaign when you combine the sad scenes with the sad music of BPtheme3.

His mom's last name looks Chinese, though in that era, they wouldn't be called Chinese, probably.

Plenty of religious people today believe in a soul and/or afterlife, but that doesn't stop them from being sad when people die. :p

Sam's parents both have Chinese names, or at least romanizations of Chinese names. In that era, they might not be called Chinese, but Sam does state that he had family living in Guangzhou, China. Sam's grandparents may or may not have been Chinese, depending on how many generations of his direct bloodline weren't born on Earth. I find it interesting that even when the GTVA hasn't even had contact with Earth for 50 years, they still have Arabic, Japanese, Chinese, and Indian names amongst their ranks. And presumably Terrans have been spacefaring for much longer than that.

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
;-)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 01:39:09 am by High Max »

You don't have to be religious to believe in something non-physical. So many people get religion confused with belief and spirituality. Religion is just the practices and rituals and belief the story happened exactly the way it is said to, but not a belief in something after death. But also, some people can believe in a story of a religion and not be religious.

Right, but I never said that one has to be religious to believe in something non-physical. I've recently begun to think of myself as a pantheist, which does involve a sort of belief without any religion. Anyway, you're right, the campaign definitely has spiritual overtones. (Just look at the whole Vishnan-Shivan thing.)

Offline Luis Dias

I'll probably get heavy flames for saying this, but I really don't mind. Eriana's story sounds to me completely deus ex machina. It's an impossible story. OK, I get that probably a girl was conceived in different universes at somewhat the same hour of the same day, some time after Lucifer did destroy the Earth in one of them and didn't in the other. Just the chance of this event was staggering low. To call her that name was also improbable, but bearable. In very different situations, parents would give their kids different names, but it could be argued that such name was decided many years before in her mother's head (or her father's).

What's really inconcievable is that it would be exactly the same Eriana with the exact same genes, with the exact same education (read, "brain states"), that is, the same person. This because every fertilized egg is different than any other. So the chance of Eriana being in one universe and in the other is too friggin small to be left as "luck". There's luck and there are miracles. And then there are badly placed deus ex machinas, in "oh well, isn't that lucky, you found your girlfriend here too!! And she loves you!"

Impossibly convenient... Not the only thing that erked me in a beautiful campaign that TBP is, but since people are discussing it, I thought I should say what I thought about it.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Man has a point. Mainly about education, mind.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Darius

One person in one reality does not necessarily have the same education and experiences as the other person in another reality. It actually runs counter to the mythology of the BP universe. Genetics and physicality is one thing, shared experiences among dimensions is another.

It's also not stated that she is the same person inside as the woman Sam knew. Indeed, he's most likely going to have to start from scratch regarding any developing interpersonal relationships as he would any other person he has just met. At the most basic level, he's getting to know a person who bears a striking resemblance to a person he once loved, which is enough to spark an initial interest in that girl. :)

Offline -Norbert-

What's really inconcievable is that it would be exactly the same Eriana with the exact same genes, with the exact same education (read, "brain states"), that is, the same person.
It wasn't even mentioned wether she looks similar to Eriana or not.
The only thing Sam mentioned in his diary is, that he met a girl called Eriana, that they seem to have hit it off and that he is going to show her the town his ancestors came from.

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
;-)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 01:39:25 am by High Max »

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Yes, we have established that she is not the same person.

For the most part, protons are the same.  They are all made up of two up, and one down quark.

Here's a question: Is every proton the exact same? I know there are many more than just one and that makes them seperate and different in that sense, but I'm wondering, are they all the same in every other way?

Depends on what you mean by "the exact same". Protons are fermionic and thus obey the Pauli exclusion principle, so their quantum properties must be different. (The exception would be in a singularity such as the center of a black hole.) However, every proton is composed of two up quarks and one down quark, as Scotty said. So your question is a bit like asking whether two identical cars (of the same model) are the same: yes, they're the "same", but at any given time they are in different places, with different passengers inside, moving at different velocities, and filled with different amounts of gasoline.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Your body at time A is made of enough different material from your body at time B to be considered 'a different person'. But the patterns of information are conserved. That's what qualifies the car, or the protons, as 'the same'.

Offline eliex

I've noticed that Darius' dual Eriana's twist is similar to the X-Men's aftermath Dark Phoenix Saga where the protagonist somehow meets a near exact copy of their deceased lover and eventually turns it into a relationship.