Hosted Projects - Standalone > Fate of the Galaxy

Hitting craft with Xwings and TIE Interceptors

<< < (2/10) > >>

chief1983:
Well then, how are those convergences set?  I haven't seen a place to edit a static convergence yet.

Herra Tohtori:

--- Quote from: Darkhill on February 04, 2007, 03:26:57 pm ---I don't know if you guys have this problem, but something that has plagued IA is Xwings can't hit anything.  Its because of the wide spread of the lasers on the model.  Have mostly fixed it by adding some code to do auto convergence but its not a perfect solution.  Just wondering if this happens to you and found a way to get around it.

--- End quote ---

My suggestion would be to increase the size of shield bubble somewhat. That's how they did it in XvT. There's no convergence, and usually quad linked lasers is the best way to hit the target at least with some of the cannons. But as long as the target has shields, it's not necessary to hit the hull area of the target to reduce the shields. Hitting TIE Fighters is supposed to be difficult.

Obviously if you want XWA-like behaviour, auto-converging lasers are an acceptable solution. I myself would prefer XvT way of things. Usually you can get at least one side of the lasers to hit, full four-laser hits require a target at least as big as the wing span of the X-Wing, and some good aiming of course.

Also, how fast are your craft going? 100 m/s or 100 km/h? In X-Wing games I think their speed is announced in km/h, so the fighters are actually very slow in those games...

MetalDestroyer:

--- Quote from: Herra Tohtori on February 05, 2007, 05:50:51 am ---My suggestion would be to increase the size of shield bubble somewhat. That's how they did it in XvT. There's no convergence, and usually quad linked lasers is the best way to hit the target at least with some of the cannons. But as long as the target has shields, it's not necessary to hit the hull area of the target to reduce the shields. Hitting TIE Fighters is supposed to be difficult.

Obviously if you want XWA-like behaviour, auto-converging lasers are an acceptable solution. I myself would prefer XvT way of things. Usually you can get at least one side of the lasers to hit, full four-laser hits require a target at least as big as the wing span of the X-Wing, and some good aiming of course.

Also, how fast are your craft going? 100 m/s or 100 km/h? In X-Wing games I think their speed is announced in km/h, so the fighters are actually very slow in those games...

--- End quote ---

Well, the fact is Tie Fighters don't have shield so If we want to hit them, we should increase a little the laser radius.

About the craft speed, in X wing vs Tie Fighter, the speed are in mlt/s or something like that but not in 100 km/h nor in meter/s.

Herra Tohtori:
Actually, I recalled wrong. I did a quick test. Took a TF and flew to >3.0 distance from an installation. Then turned and took the time (approximately) it took for the craft to get from 3.0 distance to 1.0 distance. Speed was announced as constant 100 units during the test. Results:

s = approx. 2.0 units (I suppose those are kilometres, judging by the size of the ships)
t = approx. 19 seconds, and because I was using just a simple wrist watch to define the time there may be some inaccuracy.

By these parametres, the craft's speed was

v = s / t = 2.0 units / 19 seconds = 0.105 units per second.

If the distance is indeed announced in kilometres, then the speed of the craft should've been about 105 m/s. Which is well within error bars of the time measurement - I think it's safe to say that the speed indicator in the XvT game announces speed in metres per second. And thereby it's well within borders to directly convert the ship stats from the old game to FS2 metres per seconds.

It might say the speed is something in craft database, but if the empiric test shows something I'd rather trust it.

Here's some interesting stuff about the "MGLT" unit, and some others too.

And yeah, TF's have no shields in which case the solution to increase the shield bubble size won't work...

But I actually think that hitting TF's is supposed to be difficult so it's not automatcally a bad thing if it's hard. That's why the TF can have such weak armour. It can take two good starfighter laser hits in XvT, no more. Grazing shots it can withstand perhaps three.

Just how hard exactly is it to hit the TIE Fighters in an X-Wing? :nervous: Is it like "impossible" or just "takes a lot of practice" type of difficult?

Darkhill:
For one thing people are used to the old games where I think they used bounding boxes for hitzones.  A TIE Fighter may have been the hardest to hit but it wasn't that hard.  The major complaint with out little multiplayer demo was you can't hit anything when flying the TIE Interceptor.  Flying 10 minutes to score one kill between two people is a little unacceptable for me.

Both ships sitting still with convergence of 500m and you'll never hit a ship if your range is less then that.  I can be less then 5m from a ship and the lasers will go right around it.  In Xwing Alliance some of the ships have an auto convergence feature you can turn on.  What it actually does I don't know.  Its worth not being quite cannon if it makes the game a little more enjoyable for anybody to play.

The code is less then 20 lines, wouldn't be that many more to do add the nearest hostile to the distance.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version