Author Topic: Manipulating FS2 models  (Read 2208 times)

Offline morris13

• New Marshal in town...
Manipulating FS2 models
I've been asked to put together a model  that uses sections from other ships, in this case a Fenris. But try as i might I can't seem to get TS to let me REMOVE the sections of the model that I don't need. I decomposed it into surfaces and still it won't let me delete individual faces or vertices. Does anyone have any advice as to how I might go about this? The Fenris model is simple enough that it might be easier for me to just rebuild the hull sections from the ground up in Blender and work from there, but for accuracy and detail it would be nice if I could use the existing models. Any advice from experience would be appreciated greatly. =)
If it aint broke, break it!

Offline The Claw

• Run! Chickens Incoming!
Manipulating FS2 models
After you decompose it, don't forget to use the hierarchy navigate down button. After that, do what u will, although I'm not sure how to edit it, I'll play around with it for a while and see if I come up with an answer  

------------------
"Supernova, ya supernova, supernova goes pop
supernova, ya think it's over but the supernova don't stop" PM5K
Death:"Arnold Judas Rimmer... your life is over. You will travel with me to the-"
#knees death in the groin#
Rimmer:"Remember matey, it's only the good that die young"
"Do not fear the chickens. Become one with the chickens. Respect the chickens and... #BOK!# LEG IT!!!"
The Claw- Project Coordinator and modeller of Alternate Reality and official spare wheel of The Perfect Storm...
"I love the English for three reasons. One, we always beat you at rugby. Two, your wives are always friendly. Three you fought like devils to save us" Old French bloke at my uncles pub.
"One has plenty of time for contemplation while waiting for the endless waves of bad doggie werewolf monsters that chew your toes while you sleep"-Dradeel, BG2

Offline Jabu

• One of our many cases
Manipulating FS2 models
Well, you COULD just convert it to .dxf and work with it in Blender sans textures.

Offline morris13

• New Marshal in town...
Manipulating FS2 models
Um. That would be l33t. How do I convert it to DXF???

Offline Jabu

• One of our many cases
Manipulating FS2 models
Do you have TrueSpace 1? I'm not sure, but I think that can save an object as .dxf

And if not, 3DExploration is good, if your trial still has days left  

Basically is pof -> cob with pof2cob, then cob -> dxf with TS or 3DE. The next version of Blender is rumored to have cob and lwo import.

Offline wEvil

• The Other Good Renderer
    • http://www.andymelville.net
Manipulating FS2 models
get 3dsmax or lightwave.

readily available on Bad Thing servers.

:P

[This message has been edited by Setekh (edited 05-21-2001).]

Offline Jabu

• One of our many cases
Manipulating FS2 models
Okay, now I'm willing to admit my own inferiority when it comes to TrueSpace. I got the Orion into TrueSpace, and I want to delete the larger turrets. Now I'd like to know how the hell I can do that as easily as possible. There has to be a much quicker way than selecting each face one by one...

Offline morris13

• New Marshal in town...
Manipulating FS2 models
Okay, yeah. 3dExploration easily converts the cobs into DXFs, and then I can do whatever I want to with them in Blender. If you decompose into surfaces and then move down in the hierarchy, you ought to be able to select individual submodels and delete them as a group. It certainly works that way for thruster flames, but I haven't tried converting a model with turrets yet.

Offline Jabu

• One of our many cases
Manipulating FS2 models
I hope "Decompose into surfaces" is the same as "Decompose into objects". TS 4.2 is slightly different.

And I prefer to have TrueView open, much better than just using the hierarchy buttons  

And this is so nice... I didn't even want to delete the turrets in the first place... now they're seperate, and everything is fine.

Hmm... this sucks, the Orion split more than just the turrets... guess I'll have to get glueing  

[This message has been edited by Jabu (edited 05-21-2001).]

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Manipulating FS2 models
DXF doesn't store textures, does it? Because I have some software I can build good DXFs with.

Btw, wEvil, stop talking about Bad Things.  
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline morris13

• New Marshal in town...
Manipulating FS2 models
I'm not quite sure if it does or not. If you paint your model in blender and convert it to DXF to Cob to Modelview, its still painted in modelview, even if you didn't do anything to it in TS.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Manipulating FS2 models

Originally posted by Setekh:
DXF doesn't store textures, does it? Because I have some software I can build good DXFs with.

It definately stores basic colours (i.e. the "Fisher Prices My First Fenris" effect   ), but I'm not sure about proper maps.

Starwing

Manipulating FS2 models
DXF does NOT store texture maps. I don't know how often I already said that...  
That's because it was invented solely for construction purposes, not 3D art.