Author Topic: Joystick?? Agh!  (Read 1888 times)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
How do you people play with these new-fangled things...(and by new-fangled I mean anything with more than 2 bottuns)

On the keayboard, I'm a lean, mean, killing machine.
I was competent with a regular joystick in ye olde games.
But I now bought a new one, with 13 bottuns, and I'm flying everywhere. I keep overshooting the target...
I just can't seem to get accustomed to it. I move it to the left...nothing. I move it to the left a bit more.. ZOOOOM. It's...jumpy, for the lack of a better word.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
first and foremost, calibrate.  second, check your sensitivity setting.  the lower you have sensitivity, the more of the effect you described you will get.  full sensitivity will give you an even response, but peronsally i find it hard to fine-tune aiming that way.  mine is a few clicks below full, and varies based on the fighter.  also set your deadzone as low as possible without the ship moving with the stick centered.  that is 2 clicks for me.  as for the buttons, that just patience in getting accustomed, and finding the right layout for yourself.  don't just stick with default or your first setting, if something doesn't feel right, change it around and try something else out.  it was a good while before i settled on the mapping i have now, and it still may change.  especially when i give gliding a go :)
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Also, check your dead zone, you seem to have it pretty high.

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
I tried a joystick once a few years ago and never got the hang of it. So I stuck with keyboards.

Wow that sounds kinda dirty.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I tried a joystick once a few years ago and never got the hang of it. So I stuck with keyboards.

Wow that sounds kinda dirty.

I did the same, except with a gamepad. I couldn't get used to it at all.

And I remember how I used to want a joystick so badly...
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Set deadzone to as low as it goes, then adjust sensitivity as high as you're comfortable with. In best case scenario your deadzone is as low as it goes while sensitivity is as high as it goes. Personally I leave sensitivity to about 1/3, 2/3 or 1/2 depending on joystick. Never been able to use full sensitivity.

I've also tried keyboard, I don't understand how anyone can play using a keyboard. It's same as using full sensitivity on joystick, I can't hit any moving target if I use keyboard. With mouse it's a bit better, but default mouse control sucks and mouse script isn't very good and is even broken at the moment.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
If we need to do slight turns on the keyboard, we tap the keys very lightly, or use the opposite turn to offset.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Fury is absolutely spot on, 100% sense 0% deadzone, only way to use a joystick properly, keyboard will always be better otherwise.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."