Author Topic: Trauma Center  (Read 2096 times)

Offline Agent_Koopa

• These words make the page load that much slower.
I just want to know- has anyone here played Atlus' excellent Trauma Center "series"?

(The series consists so far of Trauma Center: Under the Knife, for DS, and Trauma Center: Second Opinion, a Wii remake of Under the Knife, except for its chapter 6, which replaces Under the Knife's chapter 6 with one that picks up the story from where Under the Knife left off.)

I only have Second Opinion, and I'm trying to convince my friend to lend me Under the Knife so I can watch the ending for it, as Second Opinion glosses over UtK's chapter 6 in a few sentences.

For those who haven't played it, it is a heavily simplified surgery sim; at least at first. Soon, you are thrown into the realm of fiction as Derek Stiles, one of the few surgeons skilled enough to combat the terrorist-engineered disease GUILT. (Don't ask what it stands for, because it's just technobabble.) Working for the semi-covert international medical organization Caduceus, which has the authority to operate outside government control, you take on the varying strains of GUILT one case at a time.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 08:10:52 pm by Agent_Koopa »
Interestingly enough, this signature is none of the following:
A witty remark on whatever sad state of affairs the world may or may not be in
A series of localized forum in-jokes
A clever and self-referential comment on the nature of signatures themselves.

Hobo Queens are Crowned, but Hobo Kings are Found.

I've played it.  It was fun once though, at least on easy, though the trick ending was very annoying, and the special levels were well beyond I had any hope of doing.

It was worth the run, but I won't it.

Offline Agent_Koopa

I've played it.  It was fun once though, at least on easy, though the trick ending was very annoying, and the special levels were well beyond I had any hope of doing.

It was worth the run, but I won't it.

By "trick ending" I assume you mean that you thought "Death Awaits All" was the ending? I did too, but I knew that was a chapter six, so whatever.

No, I meant that the very last mission of the plot absolutely requires you not use your healing touch until the finale, with no clue that you will absolutely need it at the last moment or your screwed, in a generally hard mission where it would come in handy, and then you need to use it on top of the automatic one.

Offline Agent_Koopa

No, I meant that the very last mission of the plot absolutely requires you not use your healing touch until the finale, with no clue that you will absolutely need it at the last moment or your screwed, in a generally hard mission where it would come in handy, and then you need to use it on top of the automatic one.

Actually, during Death Awaits All, Derek constantly says "I just have to...concentrate!" if you don't use the second Healing Touch. That, and the hand icon changes automatically to the Healing Touch icon in Under the Knife. Playing on Second Opinion's Normal difficulty, I didn't need to use the Healing Touch until the end, but then again, I already knew that you had to save the Healing Touch until the end. You have to admit, forcing the use of the Healing Touch twice in a row was a stroke of genius.

No, it would've been a stroke of genius if they had allowed you to active your own personal one at will, or at least given it back to you when you reached that last step.  Since it's a one shot deal, and since you get precisely zero indication that you absolutely must have it at the very end to beat the mission until you get to that last step, and since it's not an otherwise super easy mission, the net result is that chances are very good the first time you reach the last step, you'll have already used your healing touch, and thus will be totally ****ed.

Having to do a hard mission twice because I wasn't precognitive is many things, but genius ain't one of em.

Now mind you, the game as a whole was fun.  That last bit just really pissed me off, because I really hate it when "do well, fail, do again now that you know X" is used as a design.

Offline Agent_Koopa

No, it would've been a stroke of genius if they had allowed you to active your own personal one at will, or at least given it back to you when you reached that last step.  Since it's a one shot deal, and since you get precisely zero indication that you absolutely must have it at the very end to beat the mission until you get to that last step, and since it's not an otherwise super easy mission, the net result is that chances are very good the first time you reach the last step, you'll have already used your healing touch, and thus will be totally ****ed.

Having to do a hard mission twice because I wasn't precognitive is many things, but genius ain't one of em.

Now mind you, the game as a whole was fun.  That last bit just really pissed me off, because I really hate it when "do well, fail, do again now that you know X" is used as a design.

Generally, they're pretty good about that. But giving you your Healing Touch back would constitute using his superhuman life-threatening power three times in a row, which would probably kill him or something.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 09:05:12 pm by Agent_Koopa »

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I did. I sucked at it. But my friend was so good I couldn't even follow what he was doing.

Offline Agent_Koopa

Well, I just got Under the Knife, and it's much, much harder. Almost unfairly hard. Like, stupidly unfairly hard. I'm on episode 6-3 and it's hard.