Author Topic: What do you want in the rest of War in Heaven?  (Read 186807 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: What do you want in the rest of War in Heaven?
If there's no heavy bomber, who carries the Helios/larger bombs?
SSM deployment?

Exactly. You don't need heavy bombers when an Ares or Herc 2 wing can deliver more firepower in a more survivable package.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yeah, we're pretty sure at this point that heavy bombers are a dying breed.

We're experimenting with some interesting alternatives.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I actually think something as simple as a few wings of Herc2s armed with Maxims could completely replace bombers against the majority of Federation targets. They're not as vulnerable, their payloads can't be shot down and they don't even need to get in close.

I know when I played I was a lot more worried about the Herc 2s than I was about the traditional bombers. Even the Artemis goes down so quickly and all its torps are typically splashed by point defense turrets. The Herc 2 however can melt a civie transport faster than you can blink.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Like how they raped the Argent Mist?
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline kyp275

The one thing 1 want to see in WiH2...

oh yea, an Adm. Steele punching bag mini game :P

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I actually think something as simple as a few wings of Herc2s armed with Maxims could completely replace bombers against the majority of Federation targets. They're not as vulnerable, their payloads can't be shot down and they don't even need to get in close.

UEF ships may start rolling with Maxim-resistant armor, though.

Offline sgtbeil

HINT HINT. He's on the BP team

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer

UEF Panzer IV ???  :p
Never far away from HLP and from a computer with an installed FreeSpace.

Offline sgtbeil

UEF Panzer IV ???  :p

UEF Panther II :O

Offline Snail

• SC 5

Oh, snap...

Well the UEF have torpedo resistant armor and beam jamming technology, doesn't stop them from being somewhat effective.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo

I must say, that sounds inherently stupid. The Maxim is shooting a pretty large caliber projectile made of U-238 (depleted uranium) at (for FS speeds) very high velocities. The notion that you could just pass off the tremendous kinetic energy and momentum from those weapons is just silly - even something like ERA (Explosive Reactive Armor) is pushing it as, hey, it blows up to prevent an incoming round from making contact! Destroyable armor plates are one thing, but armor "resistant" to physics and/or common sense is entirely different. And, as a disclaimer, I will note FS makes legendary stabs against physics, but simultaneously it has a sort of believable gameplay to it (thus not conflicting with common sense).

*EDIT: Thanks, Klaus, I can't belive I stuck the fissionable uranium isotope in there! U-235 changed to 238. :)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 06:47:15 pm by Thaeris »
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
U-238*

sorry.  though i don't really have a huge problem with maxim RESISTANT armor.  if we go maxim-PROOF, then yeah.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Snail

• SC 5

I must say, that sounds inherently stupid. The Maxim is shooting a pretty large caliber projectile made of U-235 (depleted uranium) at (for FS speeds) very high velocities. The notion that you could just pass off the tremendous kinetic energy and momentum from those weapons is just silly - even something like ERA (Explosive Reactive Armor) is pushing it as, hey, it blows up to prevent an incoming round from making contact! Destroyable armor plates are one thing, but armor "resistant" to physics and/or common sense is entirely different. And, as a disclaimer, I will note FS makes legendary stabs against physics, but simultaneously it has a sort of believable gameplay to it (thus not conflicting with common sense).
That was a pretty violent outburst, huh.

I really don't see what's so unbelievable about armor that is resistant to being shot.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I really don't see what's so unbelievable about armor that is resistant to being shot.

Its really hand-wavy and magic. "we can make armor resistant to anything you throw at us, without sacrificing resistance to anything else!"

Unless of course, your maxim-resistant armor melts uber-quick to subachs or something.

No magic everything-proof armor plz. That's just dumb.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Quote from: Nobody!
we can make armor resistant to anything you throw at us, without sacrificing resistance to anything else!

Nobody said it was more resistant to anything but Maxims.

Edit: oh hm, that subach comment... perhaps i was too hasty

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Yes, but maxims is just the first (second? since they already have the bomb-resistant down) step towards that! :shaking:
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

Actually the concept of just slapping new armor with radically different material properties sounds a bit crazy in itself. If it were just extra material of the same type that would be reasonably permissible since, y'know, multi-megaton forces and all that. But replacing it with something totally different can't do anything good for the ship's overall structural dynamics.

...and if it's turret, how are you going to protect it any better without altering its field of fire or ability to react to new targets? The muzzle has got to stay uncovered...
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Yes, but maxims is just the first (second? since they already have the bomb-resistant down) step towards that! :shaking:

...and I did not speak out, for I was not a GTW-66 Maxim Cannon

I suppose you COULD just build new transports. Kinda like how the U.S. started rolling out new vehicles capable of (hopefully) withstanding IEDs.

But that's expensive, the logistics of distribution are a nightmare, and I doubt it's commercially viable to outfit civie ships like that. Really if you're in a civie and GTVA shows up and tells you to cut your engines you should probably do as your told. Wonder how GTVA handles UEF prisoners or civilian detainees.