Author Topic: Will FS2 work on Vista-64?  (Read 2266 times)

Will FS2 work on Vista-64?
It works fine on Vista-32... I just got the CD for Vista-64. Will this game still work?
Just don't give away the homeworld...

Re: Will FS2 work on Vista-64?
I dont know if I clarified this or not, but I mean 64-bit Vista and 32-bit Vista.

Offline hip63

• The DVD Builder Guy
    • hip63's Groovy Galaxy
no problems in Vista x64 for me :)

hip63 :p
operator: "So what do you need? Besides a miracle. " hip63: "Games. Lots of Games. "
EVGA X58 Motherboard, Intel i7 920 @ 3.8 (OC) GHz Quad Core, Zalman Copper Cooler, 6GB OCZ DDR3 memory, EVGA Nvidia GTX275 (1.8gb mem onboard), 4x 1TB Western Digital SATA II Drives + 1 WD Velociraptor HDD (OS), DVD Drive, Zalman 1000w PSU, Antec Twelve Hundred Case, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Dell 2007WFP Widescreen Flat Panel Pure Gaming Evil Baby!

Sort of unrelated, but would any program that works on 32-bit Vista work on 64-bit Vista?

Like Launchy?

Why wouldn't it?
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Something my friend said about 32-bit libraries and 64-bit libraries or something.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
32bit application programs (freespace2, office, paint) can run in x64 OS's.
32bit drivers (graphics, sound, etc.) can not run on x64 OS's.

Since x64 OSs allow you to have an ungodly amount of ram, i may want to direct you to this thread: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,52777.0.html
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

so will 32bit drivers work in running 32bit games? ;7
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
how does one go about compiling for x64. i use xp pro 64 and fs runs fine. but it seems it would be more optimal to run an x64 build. vcpp6 doesn't seem to offer 64bit mode.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Since x64 OSs allow you to have an ungodly amount of ram, i may want to direct you to this thread: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,52777.0.html

Yeah. The only reason I want 64-bit Vista is because I am ordering +2GB of RAM for a total of 4gb, which 32-bit Vista cant take advantage of. The 64-bit DVD arrived yesterday, the RAM is arriving from Newegg today.

Thanks for the link.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
how does one go about compiling for x64. i use xp pro 64 and fs runs fine. but it seems it would be more optimal to run an x64 build. vcpp6 doesn't seem to offer 64bit mode.

i think you need VC2005.

FS2 won't compile in x64 because of the way pointer math is done, it assumes 32bit memory sizes in many places, say about 700 or so.  I think all that needs to be done is to change the array index variables from int to size_t and you'd be good to go.

Also it doesn't like inline assembly, which is used in the voice code, but that can be pragma'd out.

I'll look into this more.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 11:11:29 pm by phreak »
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me

Yeah. The only reason I want 64-bit Vista is because I am ordering +2GB of RAM for a total of 4gb, which 32-bit Vista cant take advantage of. The 64-bit DVD arrived yesterday, the RAM is arriving from Newegg today.

Thanks for the link.

i think 32 bit has come about as far as it can. most cpus out there are now 64 bit and the typical amount of memory in a system is on the rise. add that to video cards with more and more memory (it counts up to the 4gb limit) upwards to a gig. that means youre pretty much capped at 3gb memory.

i dont remember doubling the bits ever taking this long in the past. the moves from 8 to 16 pretty much happened overnight, mainly because of the simple operating systems in use at the time, and 16 to 32 moved pretty quickly because windows NT4/95 was actually an improvement over win3.1/dos.  now with a ton of microsoft ****ups piling up over the last 1.3 decades, culminating in an operating system nobody wants to use, and still they offer a 32 bit version of it. they could have saved everybody a ton of grief by making vista 64 bit only. then hardware manufacturers would have been forced to get their act together and prioritize 64 bit over the older technology.

all this means is were gonna have to wait till the low end computer users get pissed off because they don't have enough memory to run newer software before 64 bit truly takes off and makes 32 bit a thing of the past (save running old software of course).
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN