Author Topic: Terran, Vasudan and Shivan Technology  (Read 20152 times)

Offline eliex

Terran, Vasudan and Shivan Technology

Maybe it's just the gameplay, or perhaps when Alpha 1 is first introduced into the Freespace Universe  (the FS1) actually the Terrans are whipping up the Vasudans (and I'm just sitting back watching the screen).

I've just got several points - WHY do the Vasudans and the Terrans during the Great War have exactly the same weapons, like Huge Terran or Terran turret. Set aside of course for the more distinctive ones like the Vasudan flux cannon.

And in FS2 - It's weird that the Shivans actually share the same missiles as the GTVA? It's not like the GTVA stole the technology of them in FS1.

And IF the Shivans were so fantastic as the Freespace 2 review indicates (that in order of most technologically advanced S,V,T)
the only reason why they technically win the Second Incursion was because there were more of them + the fact that solely, that their warship beams are the most powerful.

Am I wrong - or am i going sidetracked?
Ok . . . i'll just zip it now . . .  :eek2:

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Re: Terran, Vasudan and Shivan Technology
Well, it's been a while since I played FS1, but if I remember correctly, the War was not going so well for the GTVA at that point, they had been successful in pushing back the Vasudan Navy right up until the point that they revealed a new class of Destroyer, the Typhoon. As far as I remember, you start FS1 just as the GTVA is on the recoil from having its ass handed to it by the new Vasudan Destroyers.

Edit: I suspect that the weapons are all based on particle acceleration physics, whilst it's not certain, the chances are most races would develop weapons in more or less the same order we did. Kinetic, chemical, hydraulic and electromagnetic energy can all only be used in a certain number of ways, there's only so many designs for a gun that actually work. as it were.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 05:24:36 pm by Flipside »

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
The war was in a stalemate. The exact year a Typhon appears is unknown IIRC.

And the same weapons are used prolly becoause someone at [V] was lazy to make new weapons.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
And the same weapons are used prolly becoause someone at [V] was lazy to make new weapons.

We all know that, but why ignore the chance to have three pages of discussion? ;)

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
If i recall correctly, Vasudans are better at making engines, Terrans are better at making armor and warheads, and the Shivans are better with beams.
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline eliex

That's not exactly true in general, about the Shivans having the best beams.
Alright, the Supa Sathanas BF Red has given the idea to everyone that Shivies are the ultimate beam owners.
But there's only about . . . hmmmm . . . 80 Sathanas juggernauts and not many of them participated in open combat.  :p
But when a Sobek or Deimos confronts a Moloch it get's it's butt whipped.
Same goes for the Rakshasha vs Aeolus (the Mentu doesn't count because it doesn't even have a SVas).

Seriously, Vasudans are way better at beams - no wait that's not right.

VASUDANS ARE good at winning because they have the highest armour in FS2 right?
Look at the Hecate - 4 BF Red salvo and it's gone. GVD Hatshepsut - no way.

:lol:

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Shivans DO have the best beams, but my theory is that they use ALOT of energy, as most shivan ships have weak beams, or not many.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Over 14 years, the two races would have stolen each others designs and technology anyway, or at the very least developed similar things on their own by observing each other.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline eliex

But that's a bit weird if the Interceptor missile was developed after the alliance between the vasudans and the terrans were formed; i mean how difficult is it to have a good technician's look at an engine?

Over 14 years, the two races would have stolen each others designs and technology anyway, or at the very least developed similar things on their own by observing each other.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Well, it's been a while since I played FS1, but if I remember correctly, the War was not going so well for the GTVA at that point, they had been successful in pushing back the Vasudan Navy right up until the point that they revealed a new class of Destroyer, the Typhoon. As far as I remember, you start FS1 just as the GTVA is on the recoil from having its ass handed to it by the new Vasudan Destroyers.

You mean the GTA. The Typhon was a powerful warship but I don't recall dialogues about the Typhons overwhelming the GTA in FS1. They were difficult to destroy but they weren't defeating the GTA. I personally thought that the Typhon appeared a few years before the Great War, not right before it.

8th December: Holy Mary & Sathanas Day

9th December: GVD Typhoon Day

Alright, the Supa Sathanas BF Red has given the idea to everyone that Shivies are the ultimate beam owners.
But there's only about . . . hmmmm . . . 80 Sathanas juggernauts and not many of them participated in open combat.  :p
Same goes for the Rakshasha vs Aeolus (the Mentu doesn't count because it doesn't even have a SVas).

The Sathanai(:P) didn't engage the GTVA for obvious reasons. The Moloch is more a small combat unit capable of launching fighters rather than a corvette designed to destroy other warships. I think :v: didn't give it LReds to make it defeatable. The Rakshasa has 3 SReds when it should have 4 of them. There are no beam cannons in the Mentu's table entry but they're mentioned in the tech description.

Vasudan beams are better, if I remember well.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
IIRC, Vasudan and Terran beams are so-so. Rather similar. Methinks vasudan slasshers are better, but it's been a while since I looked at the numbers :P

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
The BVas is better than its Terran counterpart.

I don't know why both the SVas and the SGreen have a long recharge time :mad:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I don't know why both the SVas and the SGreen have a long recharge time :mad:

The SRed also has a long recharge time in comparison to the LRed and BFRed.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce

Right but then how many Hatshepsut class destroyers are there versus Hecate?  The Hecates may be more numerous.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started

:v: might have wanted to balance small battles involving small vessels, who knows...

Right but then how many Hatshepsut class destroyers are there versus Hecate?  The Hecates may be more numerous.

No, there are more Vasudan Hatshepsut-class destroyers than Terran Hecate-class destroyers. Read the Tech Descriptions...according to them the Hatshepsut is the main Vasudan destroyer and only a handful of Typhons remain in service. The Hecate class destroyers are more recent, the 53rd Hammerheads is transfered to the Aquitaine when the player joins it.

All Orions have been succesfully refitted with new weaponry while the Typhons had problems. The Vasudans needed new destroyers while the Terrans might have realized that the Orion was still effective thanks to its compatability with beam cannons. This explains why the Orion is so common... :rolleyes:
The Lightblue Ribbon

I'm also thinking of the GVD Hatshepsut being a better destroyer because it's better anti-cap armament, smaller profile, and, well, it looks SO much better.
And this ain't no ****. But don't quote me for that one. - Mika

I shall rrreach worrrld domination!

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Depends...the high poly Hecate is the way the best looking destroyer in circulation, though D.G.N.D.E.

(De Gustibus Non Disputandum/a Est)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Wasn't there a HTL Hatshepsut WIP  around a while ago? What happened to it anyway?

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce

:v: might have wanted to balance small battles involving small vessels, who knows...

No, there are more Vasudan Hatshepsut-class destroyers than Terran Hecate-class destroyers. Read the Tech Descriptions...according to them the Hatshepsut is the main Vasudan destroyer and only a handful of Typhons remain in service. The Hecate class destroyers are more recent, the 53rd Hammerheads is transfered to the Aquitaine when the player joins it.

All Orions have been succesfully refitted with new weaponry while the Typhons had problems. The Vasudans needed new destroyers while the Terrans might have realized that the Orion was still effective thanks to its compatability with beam cannons. This explains why the Orion is so common... :rolleyes:

But there are absolutely no numbers either way so its really difficult to say.  Its speculation and aside from some vague meanings in a tech room there isn't anything that definitively says one way or the other.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Desert Tyrant

• Meh.

But there are absolutely no numbers either way so its really difficult to say.  Its speculation and aside from some vague meanings in a tech room there isn't anything that definitively says one way or the other.

The probelm is this: Even assuming the GTVA names the first ship in the class the class name, there would only be about three Hecates we know of: GTD Hecate, GTD Aquataine, and the GTD Phenocia.  Aquataine survives Capella, and we know that Phenocia is destroyed, or at the least badly damaged.  (There is also a GTD Independance, but that's a muti-player mission, so its canon status is questionable to say the least.)