Author Topic: MechWarrior Online  (Read 270108 times)

Offline Black_Yoshi1230

• Fat and lazy glory hound, mooch, narcissist.
    • Black Yoshi's YouTube Page
Convert maps from Mech2 and Mech3, there, I said it.
The MechWarrior 2 Resource Forum / Flyboy's Flight Sim + Aviation Page / Falcom Sound Team JDK / Jane's F/A-18 - Resources

&& "LAUNCH! LAUNCH! S__T WE'RE HIT! WE'RE TAKING CANNON FIRE! GET US THE HELL OUTTA HERE!" - The best Jane's Longbow 2 Co-Pilot Audio Clips.

|| BEAMS! DEATH BY BEAMS! <- Blue Planet: War in Heaven in a nutshell. (Phrase is adapted from the Freeman's Mind spinoff Barney's Mind, Episode 14: BEES! DEATH BY BEES!)

^ Give a kid a stick and tell him to beat up his enemies, he'll do it without a second thought. Give a kid a book and tell him to defeat his opponent, and he'll read the book, defeat the other's mind, and smack him on top of the head. Give a kid a flower, he'll force his opponent to eat it.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

Said what? All I see here is some goofy technical impracticality, I'm confused

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
Thanks for leaving out Mech4, those maps were epic turdburgers.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

If you said you were a complete derp, I heard you.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Aesaar

With the Cataphract arriving on Tuesday, I'm definitely going to see if I can make a quad AC2 build.  Rumour has it the 4X will have the hardpoints necessary, and all in the arms.

In other news, my CPLT-C1 is still tearing **** up.

Thanks for leaving out Mech4, those maps were epic turdburgers.
Most were still better than what we have now.  At least the better mech4 maps didn't have everyone start within a stone's throw of each other.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 08:11:19 pm by Aesaar »

Offline Black_Yoshi1230

OK, fine, I'll explain. In Mech2, we had a LOT of maps for instant action and multiplayer. We had the canyons in Twycross and Alshain (affectionately called DFA Alley), the high-rise towers of Setubal, the high ground of Avon the night urban city in Devin, the frozen cliffs near Morges, the Lost Woods, the open team-on-team maps. And Outer Volta... minefield. Minefield. MINEFIELD!

Mech3 is pretty much open valley and underground caves. Good for traps, and direct "face me!" combat.

th-th-the-the point is, we need more pylons maps from the games of old for sheer nostalgic factor. I-if the maps from old can be adapted for use of MWO (whether they are "direct" ports or graphically updated), th-then... dammit, I can't finish.

EDIT: There was another field I wanted to nominate for adaptation into MWO:

A freaking moon map (example for those of you who have played Mech2, Satellite MacDuff in the Devin System, Falcons had "Bouk Obelisk", Wolves had "Sable Flame"). Virtually cold, hostile atmosphere (if your life support system gets shot up, you're dead). Open field, only craters can remotely cover you, oh, and starfield sky.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 01:05:04 am by Black_Yoshi1230 »
The MechWarrior 2 Resource Forum / Flyboy's Flight Sim + Aviation Page / Falcom Sound Team JDK / Jane's F/A-18 - Resources

&& "LAUNCH! LAUNCH! S__T WE'RE HIT! WE'RE TAKING CANNON FIRE! GET US THE HELL OUTTA HERE!" - The best Jane's Longbow 2 Co-Pilot Audio Clips.

|| BEAMS! DEATH BY BEAMS! <- Blue Planet: War in Heaven in a nutshell. (Phrase is adapted from the Freeman's Mind spinoff Barney's Mind, Episode 14: BEES! DEATH BY BEES!)

^ Give a kid a stick and tell him to beat up his enemies, he'll do it without a second thought. Give a kid a book and tell him to defeat his opponent, and he'll read the book, defeat the other's mind, and smack him on top of the head. Give a kid a flower, he'll force his opponent to eat it.

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
Well with the time gap between 2 & 3 and Online, those maps would require some serious upgrading.  And as the timeline hasn't hit the Clans yet, no Twycross and Alshain, but that ****'s gonna be epic when it does arrive.

In general, yeah, they need more maps.  I think the maps are a decent size for 8v8 battles--you aren't within immediate weapons range (exception being Forest Colony--usually see gauss and AC2 fire in the first 20 seconds of the game... mostly because I'm the one shooting  ;)), there's enough room and variation that strategy is different every time and you don't have to worry about things getting too clustered or spending ages hunting the other team down.  I do think the maps could stand to be expanded if they ever decide to have larger battles.  A 12v12 or (god help us) a 16v16 would be a nightmare in the current battlespaces.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

OK, fine, I'll explain. In Mech2, we had a LOT of maps for instant action and multiplayer. We had the canyons in Twycross and Alshain (affectionately called DFA Alley), the high-rise towers of Setubal, the high ground of Avon the night urban city in Devin, the frozen cliffs near Morges, the Lost Woods, the open team-on-team maps. And Outer Volta... minefield. Minefield. MINEFIELD!

Mech3 is pretty much open valley and underground caves. Good for traps, and direct "face me!" combat.

th-th-the-the point is, we need more pylons maps from the games of old for sheer nostalgic factor. I-if the maps from old can be adapted for use of MWO (whether they are "direct" ports or graphically updated), th-then... dammit, I can't finish.

Oh, yeah, totally, both games had some great maps. I just thought you meant literally convert the meshes.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Indeed.  "We should take <asset x> and just add it to <game y>" has a couple different ways of being interpreted, and the majority of them are really bad ideas.

Offline Aesaar

In general, yeah, they need more maps.  I think the maps are a decent size for 8v8 battles--you aren't within immediate weapons range (exception being Forest Colony--usually see gauss and AC2 fire in the first 20 seconds of the game... mostly because I'm the one shooting  ;)), there's enough room and variation that strategy is different every time and you don't have to worry about things getting too clustered or spending ages hunting the other team down.  I do think the maps could stand to be expanded if they ever decide to have larger battles.  A 12v12 or (god help us) a 16v16 would be a nightmare in the current battlespaces.

Don't forget River City (which is my favorite map ATM), where you start within ER Large Laser range.  Frozen City is of a similar size, but there's a glacier in the way.

PGI have said they're going bigger, at least.

Even though I signed up a while ago, I just barely started actually playing. This is a lot of fun!
I like that the battles are a lot faster than MWLL, and the persistence is nice.

I'm Scourge of Ages in game if anybody wants to add me. I'm the guy in the Commando.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 02:42:25 am by Scourge of Ages »

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I want my Commando back but getting through it my CPLT is killing me.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
Guys I have a dilemma.  I have a considerable sum of cbills... and I don't know if I should invest in a Commando with Artemis and a f**kton of SRMs, buy the CPLT-C4, or hold onto it for when they release the Cataphract and/or Highlander.  What do?

The problem with the Commando, is none of the chassis have enough hardpoints for a truly crushing salvo of SRMs. There's one with 3 missile hardpoints, but I doubt that'll be enough for anything too amazing.

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
Lol it's the commando, it's not supposed to be crushing anyone.  Really, I see that one as a cost-effective method to score spotter assists and annoy the f**k out of assault pilots.  But commandos don't have jump jets :(

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Indeed.  I'm pretty sure that putting a trio of SRM-6s on the thing is already more than it can handle without seriously compromising things like durability or speed.

Offline Black_Yoshi1230

Lol it's the commando, it's not supposed to be crushing anyone.  Really, I see that one as a cost-effective method to score spotter assists and annoy the f**k out of assault pilots.  But commandos don't have jump jets :(

Um... I know someone in my unit that actually backstabs and holds his own in a Commando against Hunchback and Dragon pilots. (Yeah shame, but I'm not going to bring up those critical slots/hardpoint debates again.)

Indeed.  I'm pretty sure that putting a trio of SRM-6s on the thing is already more than it can handle without seriously compromising things like durability or speed.

Raven with a PPC/AC-20 would like to have a word on that, being slow-ish (86 kph out of the box for some variants) and all. (Unless you manage to bring something lighter and can fit an XL engine with CASE...)

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Raven with a PPC/AC-20 would like to have a word on that, being slow-ish (86 kph out of the box for some variants) and all. (Unless you manage to bring something lighter and can fit an XL engine with CASE...)

I was talking specifically about the Commando, not a 'Mech that's 40% larger than the Commando.

What I'm running now: Cicada with a AC-5 (60 rounds) and trio of machine guns. Good for sniping and backstabbing heavies, not good against light and quick mechs.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 01:36:38 pm by Scourge of Ages »

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
I retooled my Dragon from a Gaussdragon into a dual AC2 Dragon w/ML.  It's so satisfying to encounter someone piloting the same mech, only tricked out with XL engines and 2x the firepower (Gauss, SSRM2, 3xMPL), enter into a strafing duel with them, fight until they attempt to disengage, and just as they're about to duck behind the prow of the wrecked tanker on Forest Colony, shoot 'em in the back for a killing blow.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 01:27:41 pm by esarai »