Author Topic: High-poly Apollo  (Read 28972 times)

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I'm all over the place!

http://p3d.in/mV7pj
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
Lookin' good! Looks like you've just got the side arms to finish?
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Hades

Indeed! Some smaller stuff is needed on all of the parts but the last major bit are the arms.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
dat cockpit.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Hades

Yeah, apologies to Esarai, he modeled the majority of that section from my request, it is based off of the concept art cockpit/head and I'm horrible at modeling perspective shots (esarai is a magic man)

Kudos to him!
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I'm not a big fan of the shape of that cockpit... it's very bulbous and looks too big. But I'll wait and see I guess...

Otherwise, it looks good.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
What's up with those holes in the engines?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Looks interesting... I Just hope this thread doesn't go to heck like the last ones, I'm all for changing the Apollo to have more details.

Also, YU COPY NEXUS SHIP?

EDIT: The holes in the engines look like a perfect place to have some sort of exposed engine wiring and guts for quick maintenance if you ask me.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 11:18:31 am by An4ximandros »

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
I don't know.  They're kind of like rocket nozzles, and I don't think you're supposed to have wiring in those.

Offline Hades

EDIT: The holes in the engines look like a perfect place to have some sort of exposed engine wiring and guts for quick maintenance if you ask me.

Also, YU COPY NEXUS SHIP?
Not a copy, remodel of the ship for fun. Named carrier as that's what it is in Nexus.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 01:07:30 pm by Hades »
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline BrotherBryon

• Resident Lurker

I imagine it will be filled in with greebles, much in the same way he and VA did on the Medusa engines.

Nice work there Hades.
Holy Crap. SHIVANS! Tours

Well, that looks.... advanced.

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Front of the engine pods and midsection is overly smooth. Cockpit and nose is right on.

Only really glaringly NO issue for me is the width of the engine gap. They were much, much tighter in the vanilla model, I don't think they were as tall either, though that's less of an issue. That area doesn't look finalized anyway however.

As for the gaping holes in the engines, it'd be cool if - and I assume you intend to - fill that area with pipes and other various internal-y looking bits.

Anyway, I'll be checking this thread.

Offline Hades

As for the gaping holes in the engines, it'd be cool if - and I assume you intend to - fill that area with pipes and other various internal-y looking bits.
Yeah, I'll be doing that.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
I like what you did with the head instead of the rough, low-poly head of the original.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
The good
I really liked what you did with the forward engine nacelles, keeping the shape smooth but emphasizing the underlying complexity by adding all that detail.

Some nitpics:
Something feels just a tad "off" about the current cockpit and head... the cockpit is too flush with the fuselage around it, making it seem smg. like the Russian interceptors.

The original model and the concept art always gave me the idea of a more "bubble" like cockpit, the kind you have on glass-cockpit fighters, like the F-16 or the Raptor.

IMHO it could be rounder, "bulging" out a bit and departing from the smooth lines of the surrounding fuselage.

Some quick and dity GIMP edits:

"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
It is technically stunning as usual!
I really like what you did with the neck and wings, as well as the greebling! :)

My crits are more on the "big shapes" and design side of things. Some proportions look off: someone pointed that the main engines look too tall, and I can definetly see that.

Also, the Apollo has this look about it, where each individual parts seem to "blend" into each other, whereas this htl design feels more like each part looks tacked on to the next. It is more prominent on the main engines: in the original, they look like a single piece (with a cool looking triangular shape in the middle - red lines on the image I've attached), but on your design they definetly are 2 different parts. Same reasoning goes for the underside (main interesting shapes signaled in blue).

Also, the lack of harsher lines. I know that part of your style lies in having many chamfered and smooth edges, as well as sweeping curves. So far on this Apollo it is working allright in all honesty. However, I think that it isn't really working on those holes in the engines (where you'll model some machinery). The original lozenge shape looks far more interesting and doesn't break the "visual read" of the design.

This one is a nitpick: I traced in green an interesting shape the original implies to my eyes. You somewhat have that in your version, but I think it would gain a lot if you really make it look like there's a division there.
Another nitpick is the gun pods. Right now they look like a smooth edged box. I think the shape could be more interesting (maybe lozange?).

Finally, the cockpit. It has been mentioned before, so I'll keep it short: I really find the original head and cockpit very appealing! :D

EDIT: These might sound like "purist" comments. They're not, it's just that I'm very fond of the Apollo. :)

[attachment deleted by a basterd]
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 04:09:43 pm by Raven2001 »
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline Hades

http://p3d.in/mV7pj

Focused on getting the nacelles done, I'll take a look and see what all I can do to use your crits Raven and which ones look better on it, thanks. :)
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
The lower pair of intakes look like they're blocking the missile launchers.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
Yeah I was gonna mention that...
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that