Author Topic: Go...ASA save the children  (Read 1224 times)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Go...ASA save the children
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/21/crazy_frog_off_air/

[q]The UK's Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) has banned Crazy Frog adverts from appearing on British TV before Nine O'clock in the evening in an effort to protect children from his tuneless squeaking.

VeriSign subsidiary Jamster, the company behind the amphibian, says it intends "to pursue all legal means to overturn the ASA's unjust and unfounded decision about its past advertisements". It described the ASA decision as "flawed".

Jamster complains: "The ASA fails to adequately consider the well-established fact that the overwhelming majority of Jamster's customers are above the age 16."

In fact, the ASA devotes some time to this "well-established fact". Jamster provided the ASA with a survey which they said showed less than 3.87 per cent of their customers were under 16.

With restrained dryness the ASA judgement reads: "We appreciated the efforts taken by Jamster to initiate a survey to provide us with customer figures, but we did not consider that the internal survey had been adequate show the age of Jamster customers. It was based on calls to the customer service department over a six-day period." The ASA was satisfied that the product was of interest to children.

The judgement also said: "The 40,000 TV broadcasts in a one-month period made it most unlikely that a child would not have been aware of the characters."

Eighty people complained that Jamster adverts did not make clear they were selling a subscription service rather than soliciting a one-off payment. Some 244 people complained that the ad was aimed at children; 33 complained that their kids had downloaded ringtones and they had subsequently received large phone bills. ®
Cultural observation

Nine pm marks "the watershed" in the UK, the time when British kids are assumed to be in bed leaving their parents to watch all kinds of filth on the telly.
[/q]

Not really important, i just like gloating over the shower of ****e that sell subscriptions to kids too dumb to know better.

Good to hear this.

If only they banned the stupid things alltogether, then that'd be an example for the Dutch advertising boards.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
Oh how I loathe that damned frog and all who use it...

Offline Ford Prefect

• 8D
  • Intelligent Dasein
Could someone fill me in on what this thing is, and why children need to be protected from it?
"Mais est-ce qu'il ne vient jamais à l'idée de ces gens-là que je peux être 'artificiel' par nature?"  --Maurice Ravel

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
The Crazy Frog is a - now with gentals removed - 'cute' thing used to advertise an incredibly annoying ringtone based upon a scandinavian bloke impersonating a moped.  It's even spawned an album.

Jamster, who are responsible for flogging this horse, run adverts which ask people to sign up to receive a ringtone, etc.  What these people don't know - because there is only tiny small print rapidly scrolling across the screen - is that they're signing up to a subscription service where they receive a shedload of premium rate text messages before they can (struggle to) unsubscribe.  'Fashion conscious' (read: whores to what's hip in the media or playground) teenage kids, being thicker than the usual, tend to fall for this.

Offline Ford Prefect

• 8D
  • Intelligent Dasein
Well that's one of the more depressing things I've heard in my time on this earth.
"Mais est-ce qu'il ne vient jamais à l'idée de ces gens-là que je peux être 'artificiel' par nature?"  --Maurice Ravel

Offline Wild Fragaria

• Geek girl
I found that frog funny the first couple of times I saw it (because his private's was 'cover up' in the advertiment), but later it just got annoying.

Offline Fragrag

+500000000000 respect to ASA, just for banning Crazy Frog ads, now, if the Belgian counterpart can do the same... I would finally be sane
"On this day...my pants are filled....with joy" -Singh, doing the pants game
My blog, with 'gorillarape' in the url, who wouldn't visit it?!

Good riddance. Well, for most of the day, at least.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
You know, apparently that damn frog is catching on over here as well.  I just saw a commercial for it a few weeks ago.  You Brits always complain about the crap that American TV exports, but we've never given you something one-hundredth as bad as this thing.  Thanks for nothing :p

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Wait, you brits are responsible for this abomination?

*plots revenge*
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
I never expected so see 'Frog' and 'genitals' in the same post on HLP. :wtf:
-C

Offline neo_hermes

• MmmmmmNode!
  • What the hell are you lookin at?
*attempts to say something, but can't.*
Hell has no fury like an0n...
killing threads is...well, what i do best.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
I must be one of the few remaining internet-capable people on earth to not know anything about this frog.  Because I know exactly nothing about any of this.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
*Massive Cherring in background*

"CMN news reporting, today is a day that will go down in the history books as the day the frog finally died!"

*Band Starts* (tune of bye bye miss american pie)

Bye, bye stupid froggy like guy
I used my chevy which was heavy but it still didn't die
But the good ol' brits with a gleam in their eye said
"This'll be the day that frog dies, oh this'll be the day that frog dies"

Copyright 2005 Swantz Records. :D
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
I've seen the ******* frog here too in Sweden, and from the first time I heard it, I knew it was a rip off from that internet moped crap.

I thought that someone stupid enough to commertialise that would go down the drain in an instant with regards to the coroporate world, but alas I have been mistaken, because I didn't factor MORONS WHO BUY THAT SHIT into the equation.

My bad.

ASA :yes:

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Ghostavo
Wait, you brits are responsible for this abomination?

*plots revenge*

Noooo.... I think it was a swede.  And the company (Jamster) is German.  Their revenge for Dresden, I guess.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
http://www.frenzy.com/~jester/racecar.html

That's where I heard the sound first.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill