Author Topic: BSG:BTRL Demo release!!!!  (Read 25911 times)

Offline Cyker

Re: BSG:BTRL Demo release!!!!
Wow... this is just awesome!

The voice acting detail alone excels even most professional games (The paper shuffling, ambient sounds, processing for different environs... Superb!)

I was expecting it to control like Freespace... boy was I wrong!
The quasi-Newtonian thing they got going actually does change the game a fair bit. I had to reconfigure my controls from my usual 'Freespace 2' mode, to my 'Descent' mode!
And even then, for a while I kept mis-judging a lot of the close-cut skims I'd normally do.

(If anyone's taking requests for additions, heres mine: A Velocity Vector and Slide-mode-on indicators!!!)

Skimming the *huge* asteroids in a dogfight was FANTASTIC! jinking and twisting through the canyons to evade missiles and evade groups trying to shoot me down... last time I played ANY space sim where I had the opportinuty to pull stunts like that was the Death Star Trench Run in the original X-Wing!!

Can't wait for the next releases!!  :yes: :D
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 03:12:21 pm by Cyker »

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
wooo-hoo! my high speed internet is finaly getting put to good use!

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
say, in the name of framerate, How do you turn of the shinemaps!

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Same way you do in Freespace 2...in the Launcher.

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
which flag?

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
You asked this a few days ago, and I told you in the launcher also....

should be under GRAPHICS...
[] specular (correct?)

"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline CKid

Don't forget guys, There are already six singleplayer missions created and ready for download.
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
without spec the ships still reflect things and kill my 64mb gfx card.....

*goes to mess around in the .vp*

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
They reflect things because you have environment mapping on - you just turned off specular mapping. Duh.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
So the current environment mapping doesn't require -spec to be activated to work?

That's news to me as well.

:nervous:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
If you look at the Launcher graphics list, you'll see "Enable specular" and "Enable environment maps" - the former controls specular highlighting, the latter environment maps (which I turn off because of the system slowdown they cause).

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Yeah, I know, but I had a mental image that [in the days when only envmapping was on D3D] envmapping required specular lighting to be turned on to work in the first place.

That may be either my wrong memory (very possible), misconception (highly likely) or simply that the current OpenGL env mapping doesn't need -spec to be activated to work. Which is a change to better methinks...

So, which is it? It's apparent that the current envmapping code doesn't require it, but the question remains - did the old D3D envmapping require -spec to work? :nervous:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
back to the topic of the game?

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Ok, finally found the time to play through the demo.

I really like how the pseudo-newtonian physics are implemented. Together with the long range/high rate of fire primary weapons, it makes for quite a different dogfighting experience than FS2.

I'm not a big fan of protect capship-from-asteroids missions. I had to reduce the difficulty, because on medium it's way too frustrating trying to protect the Monarch. Otherwise, I was quite impressed with the asteroid environment, captures the visual feeling of "Scar" very good. The tunnel system is a nice touch and should make for some interesting multiplayer matches :)

Overall an excellent experience, looking forward to the main capaign :yes:
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
The tunnel system is a nice touch and should make for some interesting multiplayer matches

tunnel + afterburner = bad :ick:

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
The tunnel system is a nice touch and should make for some interesting multiplayer matches

tunnel + afterburner = bad :ick:

So I noticed. I also thought that it would be cool to skim over the big 'roid at high speed and low altitude (in the first patrol mission). It was there that I noticed the effect of the low movement damping values, when I created a new Viper-shaped crater on the rock.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline AnD

Wow. I would just like to take this time to say that the BTRL demo was an excellent play. Naturally it has a similar setup to Freespace briefings, ship and weapon selection, but it was awesome! The animations in briefings were awesome. The interface at startup as well as in various other parts of the game was also awesome. The voice acting: amazing. Whoever was responsible for the voice acting, the background chatter, and the seamless and believe transitions in conversation/arguing (which was funny as hell) put it miles and miles above Freespace 2 chatter.

So, all in all, an awesome experience and looking forward to more. To BTRL creators: if you're looking for assistance with sound mixing, editing, and/or original effects, feel free to PM me. I have a good amount of experience with editing, mixing, and mastering.

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
i added "show ship" to all the player ships, and wow! how could they not make those beutiful cockpits default!?

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Because they're too low poly for close viewing.

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
you realy were spoiled by SCP, werent you?