Author Topic: Robert Space Industries. From the Wing commander + sequels makers  (Read 73951 times)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Re: Robert Space Industries. From the Wing commander + sequels makers
FS is FS, WC is WC.
SC will be SC. Anything else is just projecting and raising a ruckus over nothing.

FS had a different atmosphere, but FS is hardly a perfect game/setting/story. Every story has concessions to make. FS was about the atmosphere, and it had few characters to speak off. Some may like it, some may not.

Personally, I'm glad SC is doing it's own thing. Trying to emulate FS would feel restrictive and Chris has made some great games (Cionquest: Fronteer Wars, Starlancer, Freelancer, etc..).
I doubt I'll be dissapointed.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
So long as he emulates nothing of Freelancer, it should be an alright game.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Deathsnake

• Again there
    • German Wing Commander Site
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 02:01:42 pm by Deathsnake »
Star Citizen No. 250

Offline Gray113

• There comes a time when the odds are against you,
From the DC of the 300i promo Video.

I do love that video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTBzrUwB6Qo

Offline Patriot

So long as he emulates nothing of Freelancer, it should be an alright game.

What was so bad about freelancer?

I liked that game :(

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Yeah, I wouldn't mind some similarities. FL was a great game, if rough along the edges.

Offline Luis Dias

I find it really doubtful they are doing that video with the in-game render engine. The clouds are just too perfect, which is a detail that a space sim wouldn't bother much to go into... specially given that the anonymous pilot doesn't even have any hair yet.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I find it really doubtful they are doing that video with the in-game render engine. The clouds are just too perfect, which is a detail that a space sim wouldn't bother much to go into... specially given that the anonymous pilot doesn't even have any hair yet.

There is nothing in that video that is beyond the demonstrated capabilities of the CryEngine. Personally, I found the cloud interaction to be a bit basic (they didn't react to the ship passing through or near them). regarding the pilot: I'm pretty sure that's a conscious decision.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Luis Dias

Yes, I was too quick to judge there. Forgot they are taking this out of an immense library of ready-made effects in their disposal. About the baldness, of course it's a conscious decision, now one can be slightly cynical and say they haven't a good hair physics yet, or one can be less cynical and say they are going this route because it will be less demanding on the design cycle and after all, air force pilots do usually have small hair.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
100?

Well, this will be interesting to see.
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I just hope they're not gonna make all those misc animations a mandatory part of making a ship. This would make the ship import process ridiculously painful for modders. Adding a basic interior will be painful enough.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
I just hope they're not gonna make all those misc animations a mandatory part of making a ship. This would make the ship import process ridiculously painful for modders. Adding a basic interior will be painful enough.

As an amateur modeller myself, those animations would be the death of my time and work flow.

While the level of detail can be appreciated, I just wonder how much is actually necessary.
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Offline Mikes

As an amateur modeller myself, those animations would be the death of my time and work flow.

While the level of detail can be appreciated, I just wonder how much is actually necessary.

They are aiming for maximum immersion.

But that does not mean that you can't simply make mods where you have regular ships without interiors or moving parts Freespace style.
They do have singleplayer options and the ability to host your own servers after all.

What is kinda cool is that if you do manage to make a model that is on par with what they have in game you have the otption of submitting it for review to be included officially in the game.
They have some fans going for that already.

Offline Patriot

What is kinda cool is that if you do manage to make a model that is on par with what they have in game you can submit it for review to be included officially in the game.

Kinda cool? That's seriously cool right there :D

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
But that does not mean that you can't simply make mods where you have regular ships without interiors or moving parts Freespace style.
I doubt gameplay would work at all without at least a working modelled cockpit that your character can go in and out of. Too many gameplay mechanics seem to rely on that. And this is already making ship conversion a whole larger pain in the ass than necessary.

What is kinda cool is that if you do manage to make a model that is on par with what they have in game you have the otption of submitting it for review to be included officially in the game.
Honestly, couldn't care less about what goes or doesn't go in official servers.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
They are aiming for maximum immersion.

They do have singleplayer options and the ability to host your own servers after all.

They have some fans going for that already.

The level od fidelity is ridonkolously high.

I might be able to model a ship mesh to their standard... but then acomes animation and then texture work.
They have an entire team of experts working on a single ship. One guy matching that...is a VERY tall order. Maybe if several people band together, but it's hard to do that for one model.

I was so hypes when SC was announced I immediately started to work on modeling ships.... but when the sheer vastness of the task finally downed on me I kinda stopped. By that time I modeled a modular corridor and rooms and a simple cockpit.
... kinda a bumer
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

I doubt gameplay would work at all without at least a working modelled cockpit that your character can go in and out of. Too many gameplay mechanics seem to rely on that. And this is already making ship conversion a whole larger pain in the ass than necessary.
Wouldn't we be able to slap a generic modelled cockpit on every new ship? Like when we import the same pilot model for FS strikecrafts?

Offline Luis Dias

What is kinda cool is that if you do manage to make a model that is on par with what they have in game you can submit it for review to be included officially in the game.

Kinda cool? That's seriously cool right there :D

I have some pity for those who will be reviewing every attempt at creating these ridiculously detailed and animated ships. "Sigh... no, you got the wheel animations wrong. And no, flaps aren't rotating properly because you got the axis wrong..."

Offline Luis Dias

I also seriously doubt anyone can mod this game into a Freespace mod without serious limitations. I mean, I am not expecting anyone to model the insides of an Orion hangar and its bridge anytime soon....

This is the problem of too much detail. Freespace 2 has the advantage of being a simple world with no "world polygons" whatsoever (just some skyboxes and perhaps some asteroids), where one could focus on modelling two or ten ships, a new gameplay and some cool new missions quite easily. Star Citizen ups the ante and rises expectations. I can imagine how it is now possible to create a new Freespace title using this engine, but that would mean modelling the insides of big and small ships to a detail never before seen. That would require a complete full time development team fully monetized and with a ****ton of resources to pull that off.

How it is.... I can't really see it. What is your general idea, Matth?