Author Topic: Freelancer under Win 7 64bit  (Read 16298 times)

Offline SF-Junky

• Bread can mold, what can you do?
Freelancer under Win 7 64bit
Installing the game and launching it workst quite fine. But when I go to "new game" it just drops back to desktop. I already tried different combatability modes plus "execute as administrator" and all the stuff they tell you in various forums, but nothing works. When I install a patch it tells me the patch was installed successfully, but when I go to the game it still says Ver 1.0. This is odd.

Any suggestions? I'm not interested in any multiplayer action, I just want to play the campaign.

AMD Athlon II X2 260 Processor 3.2 GB
Nvidia GeForce GT 240

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Re: Freelancer under Win 7 64bit
One random thing that comes to mind is making sure you didn't install it in program files or something silly like that.

Aside from that, yeah, it's an old game with utterly sh*tty compatibility with recent OSes and/or hardware. Seems like you just got unlucky.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 12:53:11 pm by MatthTheGeek »
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grĂ¢ce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline SF-Junky

One random thing that comes to mind is making sure you didn't install it in program files or something silly like that.
Nope, didn't do that either.

This is really frustrating, because there are a lot people in the www telling that it works just fine for them. Even Microsoft themselves state it to be running under Win7 64bit.

Meh, and I even bought the english version... had I idiot just tried out the german version before... *ARG* :mad:

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
OK, so after installing patch, version remains 1.0?  Try running the patcher program in Administrative mode.   Also, try running the game in Administrative mode.  Have you updated your graphics drivers?

Offline SF-Junky

As I said, I already did that. If I try to install the patch another time it sais to me the patch has already been installed. Though the game doesn't seem to know that. :D

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Is the patch pointing to the correct .exe/filepath?
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
I'm thinking somehow Windows 7's virtual alternate filesystem is being employed, but I don't know.  Usually that only happens if things are installed to \Program Files

Offline SF-Junky

Is the patch pointing to the correct .exe/filepath?
How can I check that? When I execute the patch file, it installs itself automatically. Perhaps that is part of the problem.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
You caught the fact that I was saying to run the patch in administrative mode, right?  So that it can actually modify files in the \Program files directory instead of the MS VirtualStore in \Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files // \Program Files (x86)?  Check that folder and see if you have Freelancer data there.

Offline SF-Junky

I did execute the patch file in administrative mode.

There is no appdata folder in my users folder. I can't find any virtual story in my.

I'm either too dumb for this or the game just doesn't work on my fu**ing machine. Or both. Bad luck.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
appdata is a hidden folder.  To view hidden files/folders, in Windows Explorer (Winkey+E) hold down Alt key and press T (tools), then O (Folder options), then go to the View tab, and select "show hidden files, folders, and drives" (I would also un-check "Hide protected Operating System files (recommended)" (I like to see everything in my computer), as well as "Hide extensions for known file types", which allows you to see and change file extensions, e.g., from my_batch_file.bat.txt to my_batch_file.bat

Like this:

Offline SF-Junky

Okay, that worked. There is no Freelancer stuff in that VirtualStore folder.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Alright, I had to bust Google out.  Searching for

freelancer won't patch update windows 7 64 bit

2nd result:

http://the-starport.net/freelancer/forum/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4756

Quote from: Elite
Hey there, I've been a lurker for a few years and played Freelancer when it first came out. Now i'm trying to share the amazing experience to some friends of mine.

I'm having some trouble setting up a simple LAN on my pc that we can all play on. Its a simple setup of a few computers connected to the same router.

I've have Tomato installed on my router and forwarded ports 2200-2300. Everyone can see my server, including me, but I cannot connect to it, it always fails.

I have tried installing the 1.1 patch, and it works successfully. However, when I launch the game, it says 1.0 in the right hand corner. The installer won't let me install again and claims that it is installed.

I also went ahead and installed the 1.4 unofficial patch, in case it would help.

I have Windows 7 64bit. All my drivers are updated, firewall permits the server and game.

I've heard about not allowing IPv6 or something. How does that affect my computer and regular internet usage? Could this solve my problem?

Thanks!

Edit: You can play the singleplayer campaign co-op on a server right?

Quote from: rik_starkiller
Hey Elite,

Welcome to the Starport.

I have some answers for you.

You need (from memory) ports 2302-2304 TCP & UDP open, rather than 2200-2300.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814550

The 1.1 patch is a server-side patch, so it doesn't update the Freelancer.exe version number (Freelancer.exe isn't included in the patch) so no problem that the version number doesn't change there.

I would not use the "official 1.4 patch", it's buggy. I would highly recommend Adoxa's JFLP patch instead. There's a number of great fixes in it (including widescreen support), you can find that here:
http://adoxa.3eeweb.com/freelancer/dl.php?f=jflp

You're absolutely right about IP v6. If you're going to run a server you need to disable IP v6. I'll leave that to you to google (seems there's a lot of resources out there). Also try here:
http://the-starport.net/freelancer/forum/viewtopic.php?topic_id=3897&forum=11&post_id=41466#forumpost41466

No, you can't play the singleplayer campaign co-op.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Rik

Quote from: Elite
Thanks! that helps alot

EDIT: Have a look at their FAQ here: http://the-starport.net/freelancer/forum/viewforum.php?forum=21
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 03:14:39 pm by jr2 »

Offline SF-Junky

Well, I tried to find a solution via google before and only found stuff relating to multiplayer trouble. Maybe I'll give it another shot. Thanks anyway.