Author Topic: Is the Inferno campaign your type?  (Read 15294 times)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: Is the Inferno campaign your type?
No, I thought atmosphere was one of the areas where it fell down pretty hard.
Wait, really? Then what was good about it?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Maybe you're right, atmosphere was pretty good. I suppose I'm thinking about 'story execution' or somesuch other subset.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Maybe you're right, atmosphere was pretty good. I suppose I'm thinking about 'story execution' or somesuch other subset.
Yeah, the story execution was kinda bad. The early EA missions were pointless... Apart from taking the HQ installation (which was done the worst mission in the campaign) the early missions were just about killing convoys and silly stuff like that.

But the atmosphere was a-1 supar.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Is the Inferno campaign my type? Hm...
* Androgeos Exeunt glances at his screen name.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Launching Armageddon from a teeny Vesuvius with some zod thing attacking with a beam at 100 metres is a nasty Ancient hellfire to run away from -_-||
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Marcov

• Chicken Little
  • My Sig Is Spam
I always keep getting pwned by the Nemesis' beam cannons while trying to disable them  :lol:

Also, I tried using a subspace weapon on the Sol gate just to watch the huge thing explode.
With the rapid increase of FS fan-made campaigns, we're giving the GTVA a harder time with more violence and genocide.

~FreeSpace: The Battle of Endor (voice dub)~
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9K9-Y1JBTE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtQanXDRAXM
Part 3/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoBLKYt_oG0

Old (original) videos:
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ygskaoUtE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0uoPTksBlI

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
We (even the newer members) learned a lot from past experience so we believe the next releases will solve most, if not all, of the problems you mentioned.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

IT'S MOBIUS! Welcome back!

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
you've been away quite a while, welcome back :yes:
el hombre vicio...

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Hi... :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Mugsy

A long winded post abounds.

I remember i downloaded the modification several years ago. The fact that i caught wind of people still keeping the game alive through campaigns and modifications made me dust off the CDs and try it one more time. Inferno was the biggest thing for Freespace 2 then, and it reminded me of Half-life...people still keeping the game going strong despite it's age showing.

For it's time, Inferno was exactly what we wanted. Freespace 2 for all it's upgraded glory, still had missions where there would be two (at best four) large capital ships present in one mission. And people wanted more. The story was the biggest thing for me. Contact with Earth is finally possible, and in standard Freespace fashion, not everything is sunshine and rainbows, and really depressing **** happens. I couldn't wait to get my hands on this mod then.

Unfortunately, Back then (for me at least) the original game handling total conversion mods was pretty wonky, and i was lucky to make it past a mission without receiving some puzzling nameless error that would boot me back to the desktop. I remember the EA installation base where you meet the shivans for the first time was that exact mission where i received the dozenth error message and decided to give up entirely out of frustration.

So fast forward years later, 2010, with SCP fixing several things wrong with the original, and i get a chance to try it out in it's entirety. So now that i am older, what did i think of it?

I know what it was trying to do, but some aspects made me wonder how it was possible to win some missions without relying on luck or without playing it beforehand. The mission involving the Independence versus several EA capital ships, with your wing being charged with disabling the station took me several tries, and it was because the Independence made some crucial misses with it's beam cannons. My successful run ended with the Independence having 3 hull integrity left.

It felt like in some missions that you needed to be absolutely perfect to succeed. Even in the battle for Earth (which was bar none the best mission for me in the mod), you had very little time to destroy the extremely durable beam cannons off the Nemesis. And to have these last minute objectives get you felt a little disheartening.

But it was a Total Conversion mod, and it did the best it could to keep the Freespace 2 feel, and at the same time keep things fresh. A more specific example for me was the newest Space Superiority fighter (Vesuvius, correct?) for the GTVA made dog-fights feel even quicker and more adrenaline pumping than before...And all the capital ship designs were completely new and fresh. I'm sure i failed a mission because i was busy looking at how unusual and awesome the EA ships were, especially the Destroyer.

It Isn't a perfect mod, no mod ever is, but it is a great modification that offered fans what they wanted, and it was to carry on the legacy of Volition and Interplay, because as sad as it is, a Freespace 3 will never be made, and lord knows i can't contribute to a mod to save my life, so all i can do is cheer for the mod makers still soldiering on.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 02:48:56 am by Mugsy »

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Nice comment. :)

Yeah, I remember quite a few "luck is required / you need to play the mission at least 2 times" moments. The most memorable one in my mind is the arrival of the Undaunted in "Fenced In". At least two times (with the last one being earlier today :nervous:) I was about to disable the Lindos, but it departed and my torps followed the destroyer while it was jumping out.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Snail

• SC 5
A few of the missions in INFR1 were a bit shoddy, but I think "Nemesis" makes it entirely worth it.

EDIT: emissions? lol wtf? typo
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 01:59:23 pm by Snail »

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
A few of the emissions in INFR1 were a bit shoddy, but I think "Nemesis" makes it entirely worth it.

This.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I need to see if R1 still works on anything resembling a recent build just to replay that.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
INFR1 works with the latest MVPs. You get a number of warnings about a music tbm (not a real issue if you press "Ok" ad nauseam), but INFR1 is definitely playable.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
OH NOUS!
Now I'll have to test that :C
el hombre vicio...