Author Topic: Dogs are people, too?  (Read 2957 times)

Consecutive reports in tonight's Channel 4 news:

- Mental health funding in the UK has been slashed, patients are being detained indefinitely in police cells because there is no space on wards.

- Someone set fire to a dog shelter yesterday. Donations have already topped £1 million.

**** that.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Lorric

I'm the complete opposite of you people, it seems.  Animals provoke no emotional reaction in me whatsoever.  I find it amusing when a game or movie (or a non-fictional thing) presents the death or suffering of an animal as a tragic thing because I quite simply don't care.  There has never been an exception to this.
That's unusual.

I might be another unusual one in that the distinction is not animal or human it's circumstance. An animal and a human in the same circumstances would elicit the same emotional reaction as a general rule.

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
I'm the complete opposite of you people, it seems.  Animals provoke no emotional reaction in me whatsoever.  I find it amusing when a game or movie (or a non-fictional thing) presents the death or suffering of an animal as a tragic thing because I quite simply don't care.  There has never been an exception to this.

Well, sure, that sounds rather unusual. How does it work with humans, then? Would you care (more) about a human in those same situations, or do you only care about specific humans (and if so, how do you choose which ones), or do you not care about the death or suffering of other humans either?

I watched Seven Psychopaths recently and, well

Quote from: Billy
You can't let the animals die in a movie... only the women.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Aesaar

Well, sure, that sounds rather unusual. How does it work with humans, then? Would you care (more) about a human in those same situations, or do you only care about specific humans (and if so, how do you choose which ones), or do you not care about the death or suffering of other humans either?
I definitely care more if it's a human (or intelligent aliens) involved.  Animals just completely fail to get an emotional reaction from me.  Hell, I had a greater attachment to the tank in Halo 1 than I had to, say, the Mabari hound in Dragon Age: Origins (though, to be fair, that could be said about most of DA:O's characters).
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 08:54:16 am by Aesaar »