Poll

Would you be interested in participating in organised battles?

Yes, I'm down for Aus/Pacific time slot
Yes, I'm down for USA time slot
Yes, i'm down for UK/Europe time slot
It's a dumb idea.

Author Topic: Multiplayer battle-nights!  (Read 30138 times)

Re: Multiplayer battle-nights!
Since it -IS- a fast game, you'll probably need a fast connection of 1mb+ . Check with your ISP to see which your speed is. Like i said, i'd host , but by the proper time for US gamers to play i'd be reading the insides of my eyelids.  ;)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
My connection is 6m down and 768k up, but it can sometimes be unreliable. I can probably host if nobody else is there to, however.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Problem is, I'm a complete n00b at hosting; I know how to do it now, but not how to configure missions etc, etc.  ie, I've never done it.  Turey & SuperNova told me how it's done as far as connection settings & object updates though.  Do I actually have to be there?  ie, sitting at my computer?  Prolly.  Hmm.  Problem is the first & last night I will have to leave for work @ 10:20 PM or so, so unless there is a way for me to leave my computer on, and let you guys use it, I'd have to close down at that time.  The 2nd night, I have off, so np there.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I have spent several hundred hours playing this online, but the last time I played was in 2002 or something. I know my way around the game itself though and actually still have my old pilot with all the PXO stats.

Retail FS2 allowed you to set up standalone servers, but I've heard that it does not currently work in FSO. You may need to be there in that case.

As for object updates, everyone had that on low in the PXO days as that was the only way to get things playable, but it made primary weapons quite a bit harder to use. I don't know if it's still done this way though.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
They said if you were playing, keep it at low, if hosting, set to high.  Standalone servers will be fixed in 3.6.10

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Yes, that was the same thing people did back then. It means that you typically need to fire primary weapons a bit in front of your target lead indicator (so that it looks like they're passing in front of the ship) to actually hit them.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
...With explains my arse being handed to me.  I usually end up a bit behind the lead indicator.  Why can't the lead indicator take current net conditions into effect, and adjust accordingly?  C'mon, you programmers & math wizzes.  *cracks whip*  I'm lazy!!!  :( :( :( pleeeeeeeaasseeee!  I'm begging, is that good enough?  :( :( :(

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I'm the resident math guy, but I hardly know anything about the code. :p

You get used to it after a while. The only annoying thing is that you need to adjust the lead distance based on the ping time, so if the ping is varying a lot it's nearly impossible to hit anything with primaries.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
My ping usually bounces between 70 and 95 within 1 or 2 seconds, back and forth all the time.  Is this bad?  I can adjust in Halo, because I get the hit sounds.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
It should be good enough for a client. I played on a 56k with 250-ish pings for the majority of my time and somehow still managed to do well. :p I played FS2 a lot back then since it was one of the few games that ran well online with dialup.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
If a lot of you are going to play I recommend using the BtRL executable instead of 3.6.9 Official.  That way the host can use -cap_object_update 0 instead of having to scream at everyone else to pick low object updates.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Hmm.  Good idea.  VC, can you make sure everyone does this?

Hmm.  Good idea.  VC, can you make sure everyone does this?

It'd mean everyone would have to go download BtRL though, and thats up to them to do.

Otherwise, no problems.  :yes:

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
It would mean that the hosts need the file. You can simply pass it out to everyone.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

It would mean that the hosts need the file. You can simply pass it out to everyone.

Fair enough.

Still, the fact is that most people are from US, and i'm from AUS.  Kinda sad that i got this ball rolling, but i cant kick it.  :blah: I'll need a host

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
Why can't the lead indicator take current net conditions into effect, and adjust accordingly?
Because the current net conditions are already outdated information? I bet it would just end up making the manual lead estimation even harder.
It would be interesting to see someone try it though :nod:

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
It would need to be an average value, like when you are downloading and it give time remaining.  Say your download starts at 825 KB/sec.  Yay!  Only 30 mins left... then it drops to 400 KB/sec... but the time left value is still incorrect for a while longer, because it's an average value.  This would be a good thing, because it keeps your estimated time / lead indicator from fluctuating all over the place each time your connection speed has a .5 second glitch... you wouldn't be able to read the time left / lead indicator, because it'd be bouncing all over the place.

Still in need for a UK/Europe time slot host, preferably someone on the +5 GMT time zone, and someone to host USA forums.

Can't believe i havent had any offers..... you lazy bums!  :hopping:

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Well, the 2nd night I should be able to host.  :p

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
I'll probably be able to host for the U.S. block, but I can't guarantee it.