Author Topic: So TotalBiscuit has a new subreddit  (Read 10659 times)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
So TotalBiscuit has a new subreddit
So revising the disconnect policy TB has created with Genna and Zooc to create a "safe zone" for TB to interact with his fans which I think is pretty cool and I know a few here follow him so figured I would drop the link here

https://www.reddit.com/r/cynicalbritofficial/
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: So TotalBiscuit has a new subreddit
Tell me about all the drama behind this

Offline qwadtep

I don't think there's any particular drama behind it. He's a mildly controversial LPer who occasionally does hypocritical stuff and catches flak for it. He left social media due to the constant criticism and this is just an outlet for him to interact with his fans again.
Normally I don't approve of echo chambers, but SJWs harp on him for being a straight white male youtuber who defended the Gamergate movement, and I approve even less of such SJWs.

Totalbiscuit always has had a bit more toxic fanbase then he could handle and he has commented on this several times. Wanting to create a safe space for people who are simply fans of TB and are not toxic twats (and those two do overlap pretty horribly sometimes, see links) perfectly fits what TB has said earlier, and it really should not be a controversy to anyone. Unless you inherently object to the need of safe spaces, but well, then you'd be unrealistic.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I don't think there's any particular drama behind it. He's a mildly controversial LPer who occasionally does hypocritical stuff and catches flak for it. He left social media due to the constant criticism and this is just an outlet for him to interact with his fans again.
Normally I don't approve of echo chambers, but SJWs harp on him for being a straight white male youtuber who defended the Gamergate movement, and I approve even less of such SJWs.
It's more he has been naive about the movement like many people were*, also he tends to have what it's usually called the "pot seller" view on how to review games which is based on the delusion that's possible to be objective about reviewing a videogame.

*the movement has been naive and misguided since the start, instead of targeting big sites that have always been notoriously paid for reviews (like the magazines often were at the time of printed gaming press) they focused on boycotting indipendent sites like Gamasutra or RPS which were targeted more because of their oddball or semi-academical approach than because they were corrupt in any way, ifwe want a movie equivalent it would be like if movie-goers would make a riot against the Cahiers Du Cinema because Empire got paid to give a bad movie a good review.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 08:09:09 am by Det. Bullock »
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

It's somewhat possible to be objective while reviewing videogames, more so than with other artforms like books or films. While a fully "objective" review has questionable value, it's definitely possible to objectively go over the game's systems, performance, limitations like FPS or resolution locks, realistic hardware requirements, and a rough estimate on how many hours you can get from it. A lot of people are interested in these things and would like to know about them rather than just how good the game is overall(which is something you can't judge objectively).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 01:44:17 pm by FrikgFeek »
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
It's somewhat possible to be objective while reviewing videogames, more so than with other artforms like books or films. While a fully "objective" review has questionable value, it's definitely possible to objectively go over the game's systems, performance, limitations like FPS or resolution locks, realistic hardware requirements, and a rough estimate on how many hours you can get from it. A lot of people are interested in these things and would like to know about them rather than just how good the game is overall(which is something you can't judge objectively).
That doesn't make objective reviews possible, it only means that there are certain "objective" aspects to a videogame, nothing more, the game itself is still heavily subjective, exactly like any other form of art.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 04:51:01 pm by Det. Bullock »
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
That doesn't make objective reviews possible, it only means that there are certain "objective" aspects to a videogame, nothing more, the game itself is still heavily subjective, exactly like any other form of art.

The most objective thing you can say about most games is tied to performance and stability. Even image quality can be debatable depending on people's preferences for various settings. Some people like motion blur and DOF, others hate it.
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Offline Luis Dias

Total Biscuit does indeed try to be as objective as possible. The whole "objectivism is impossible, so I might as well just write anything I want" games journalism crowd is beyond the pale pretensious and asinine. It misses the entire point. The goal is never to write something "objective", for that, philosophically, is "impossible". What is possible is an objective method, a methodology of rigor, with a very simple but necessary template for what a games review should be. At the core of the analysis is the question, what the **** is X, what does it try to do, is that a good goal in itself and does it do a good job at the thing it set out to do. And then runs around all the technicalities - from graphics to gameplay to experience to etc. - that might help answer that question.

His format is clean and relatable. He asks the right questions and shows what matters in the games he reviews.

That's as objective as it can be, and it's as it should be.

Of course, he's no "brilliant" reviewer, and it's for the best he never tries to "sound" like one (just ask any Polygon pretensious twat for that kind of bull****), he just tries to be as professional as he can be.

For deeper analysis you might prefer someone like Campster (Errant Signal), although his analysis do trend towards the pretensiousness more than fairness or objectivity.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
For me I have followed TB long enough I know what he enjoys and what he dislikes so where he strays away from total objectivism I know how that relates to my own preferences so as an adult consumer I can use that to guide my own thoughts on what is interesting.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Total Biscuit does indeed try to be as objective as possible. The whole "objectivism is impossible, so I might as well just write anything I want" games journalism crowd is beyond the pale pretensious and asinine. It misses the entire point. The goal is never to write something "objective", for that, philosophically, is "impossible". What is possible is an objective method, a methodology of rigor, with a very simple but necessary template for what a games review should be. At the core of the analysis is the question, what the **** is X, what does it try to do, is that a good goal in itself and does it do a good job at the thing it set out to do. And then runs around all the technicalities - from graphics to gameplay to experience to etc. - that might help answer that question.

His format is clean and relatable. He asks the right questions and shows what matters in the games he reviews.

That's as objective as it can be, and it's as it should be.

Of course, he's no "brilliant" reviewer, and it's for the best he never tries to "sound" like one (just ask any Polygon pretensious twat for that kind of bull****), he just tries to be as professional as he can be.

For deeper analysis you might prefer someone like Campster (Errant Signal), although his analysis do trend towards the pretensiousness more than fairness or objectivity.

Pleas, cut it out with the anti intellectual bull****, videogames are a form of art and as such are heavily subjective by definition, you can't reduce them to the technical aspects, it denotes a basic lack of respect for the medium.
What you see as pretentiousness is just treating the medium with the respect it deserves, whoever has a modicum of culture and loves videogames is going to do something like that like it is done with music and movies because being an academic or having a certain degree of self-taught culture will inevitably influence the way you are considering videogames, deal with it and quit whining.

For me I have followed TB long enough I know what he enjoys and what he dislikes so where he strays away from total objectivism I know how that relates to my own preferences so as an adult consumer I can use that to guide my own thoughts on what is interesting.

Which is true for any critic, no matter how intellectual or anti-intellectual he or she is.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 06:25:22 pm by Det. Bullock »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I do think games have a particular accessibility to 'objective' statements of their technical facts, if only because film and books both have extremely fixed technical standards, so fixed that there is essentially no variation in almost all aspects of the presentation (and in fact it's seen as gimmicky to vary page structure/film framerate).

What's toxic is talking about these technical traits in and of themselves rather than in the context of the game's artistic goals.

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
My question is how long it'll last.

Definitely a TB fan, but I think he's better off keeping the fans at a distance.
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Offline qwadtep

Pleas, cut it out with the anti intellectual bull****, videogames are a form of art and as such are heavily subjective by definition, you can't reduce them to the technical aspects, it denotes a basic lack of respect for the medium.
You can't reduce them to the technical aspects, but they damn well lose points if they can't maintain a stable framerate or suffer gamebreaking bugs.

Offline Luis Dias

What you see as pretentiousness is just treating the medium with the respect it deserves, whoever has a modicum of culture and loves videogames is going to do something like that like it is done with music and movies because being an academic or having a certain degree of self-taught culture will inevitably influence the way you are considering videogames, deal with it and quit whining.

That's all fine and dandy, theoretically speaking.

Until you actually read the poop that comes out of the keyboards of these pretensious twats, who think they are all some kind of jedi masters of the english language (whose "command" amount to the total knowledge of their education, given how most of them come from english majors) and they'll shove that self-awareness to everyone's throats.

And this asinineness becomes too obvious to deny when they become so blazé to even admit how they don't even finish the games they are supposedly reviewing, for they were "too boring" or "too difficult" or whatever else excuse they bring forth, followed by a barrage of their own narrative building activism-of-the-day tirade of nihilistic hipster pretensiousness.

I can't even start to express the rage that goes through my head while trying to read some of those ridiculous conglomerations of "words" whose authors probably think are writing some kind of brilliant teatrises on gaming.

I also can't wait until another Peter Thiel tries to sue Vox Media or Vice out of existence.

Which is true for any critic, no matter how intellectual or anti-intellectual he or she is.

This is true. For instance, if Polygon trashes a given game, I can be assured I'll probably like it.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
There is truly no greater crime in video game journalism than publishing something a reader might disagree with.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I've split out the Orlando discussion into a new thread and moved it over here: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=92111.0
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns