Author Topic: Go Ugly Early!  (Read 2426 times)

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Figured you chaps might like to see one of those rare endangered tiger still hunting in its natural element.

DCS: A-10 Warthog
-Review
-Trailer
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Glowing Amraam makes some really good videos.

Think I'll stick with the A-10 in LockOn: Flaming Cliffs 2 for the time being, as it's more of a mid-fidelity sim. Although I am looking forward to seeing how Combat Helo will turn out, as well as Jet Thunder.

Gah... If only I can fix my Saitek joystick without causing anymore breakage to it. Haven't played any sims for a while now, including FSO.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i hope they ditched the starforce this time around.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature

StarForce is determined by the publishing distributor, not the creator, sadly. I wanted to enjoy Flaming Cliffs, but I can't because of it.

In any case, this reminds me of what would happen if you applied SCP and FSU to something like Janes: USAF. Pity that it so far only has a single plane to show for it, so it's probably more like "F-15", just up to speed.

Either way, I'm happy as hell to see it.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Being a natural air-to-mud person, I'm curious.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
This thread title misled me :p
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature

This would be even better if the camera man focused on the screen instead of deciding to show off how big it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-LNm60np9U&hd=1
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
If I wasn't posting from a dial-up connection, I'd remove my jeans and fap to this video.

Offline Davros

Just a warning, its incredibly difficult like 5x more than lomac
and it has a bad fov with eyefinity notice how the above vid show no cockpit views and this is not a game you can play from the exterior view ;)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 12:55:50 pm by Davros »

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature

Le whut? That -one- vid had no cockpit view, but from that you extrapolate bad FOV?

There are cockpit views as demonstrated by OTHER vids explicitly showing the cockpit and they don't have FOV problems, but a fully customizable FOV system, so what you see is not what you are stuck with, merely what they set it to.

And they are not using eyefinity, if you bothered reading the vid description details.

Srsly....what? About the only thing you got right was that yes, it's much harder than LOMAC will ever be, because it's detailed for realism.

¤[D+¬>

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
It's a sim from creators of Falcon series, so I didn't expected anything less than "5 times as difficult as LOMAC".
FreeFalcon 5 is, in general, about as close to flying an actualy F-16 as you can get without joining the Air Force. I would be suprised if DCS was less detailed.

Offline Davros

Le whut? That -one- vid had no cockpit view, but from that you extrapolate bad FOV?

Srsly....what? About the only thing you got right was that yes, it's much harder than LOMAC will ever be, because it's detailed for realism.

Er no I know it has a fov problem because i have the game
and yes i know the vid was using warpalizer (which is designed for curved screens and therefore has a compensation mechanism)
but i was pointing out that there is a problem with eyefinity/nv surround because not being designed for different curvature of screens dont have a compensation mechanism

As dcs appears on eyefinity/nv surround (notice the horizon)

what you willl see on a in normal widescreen

what you will see with eyefinity on the center monitor (notice the low vertical fov and this is zoomed out as far as it will go)

ps: sorry about the blur its because its not an actual screenshot just a faked one to show the problem

pps: actual screenshot

@Dragon this is not a sim from the creators of the Falcon series (that was microprose) its from the creators of the Flanker series
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 05:57:48 pm by Davros »

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
It's a sim from creators of Falcon series, so I didn't expected anything less than "5 times as difficult as LOMAC".
FreeFalcon 5 is, in general, about as close to flying an actualy F-16 as you can get without joining the Air Force. I would be suprised if DCS was less detailed.

I'm confused at what you're saying here Dragon:

(a.) Falcon 4.0 was originally released by MicroProse, and the licence was then later bought by Atari.

(b.) FreeFalcon, Open Falcon, and all other source code leak derivatives of Falcon 4.0 are independently developed and all are, as far as I know, freeware.

(c.) LOMAC is made by Eagle Dynamics, a company made famous by the Flanker series of flight simulators. They're a Russian firm, and have no affiliation with Spectrum Holobyte (the original creators of the Falcon series) or MicroProse/Atari. LOMAC to my understanding has been accused of being a pretty mediocre sim - I have it, but bloody hell, I've never gotten it to work properly. I tried re-binding the keys so I could use the program more effectively, and then the program didn't even respond accordingly. I've not touched it since. And the DRM pissed me off to no end, either. That said, they also make the DCS series, and I've heard mixed reports on their quality. But... that's going off topic. However, now that the record is set straight, onward, chaps. :)

*EDIT - Davros beat me to it. You sneaky ninjas, you... :p
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke