Author Topic: Question - FS1 nebulas?  (Read 5384 times)

Offline Alikchi

• Neo-Terran
  • Spooky ghost (RIP)
Question - FS1 nebulas?
Is there any way you can get the FS1 nebulas out of the  .neb files? I liked those, they were lots easier to place than the FS2 "chunks"..
"Going too far and caring too much about a subject is the best way to make friends that I know."
- Sarah Vowell

I have a feeling that you can't get the FS1 tupe nebula's to work in FS2. They did once though, look at some early FS2 screenshots, so the code might still be there. But I wouldn't hope too hard.
'Honour the valiant who fall beneath your sword, but pity the warrior who slays all his foes' - G'trok, in the poem lu geng

'Clarification is not to make oneself clear, it is to put oneself in the clear.' - Sir Humphrey Appleby

Why not visit the Time of Change website?

Or perhaps my own website - Telencephalon

Offline Skippy

• It's not a bug, it's a feature™
    • FS/FS2 Campaigns List
Maybe you could try ;)
MACHINA TERRA | FS/FS2 Campaigns list
Specs: Core2 Duo 2GHz, 2GB DDR2, 160GB HD, gfg7700 (Asus G1 Laptop)
Q9550, 4GB DDR2, 2x500GB HD (RAID1), RHD4870, X48-DS6, Corsair 620HX (Desktop)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Re: Question - FS1 nebulas?
Originally posted by Alikchi
I liked those, they were lots easier to place than the FS2 "chunks"..

Ditto. The FS1 DVD-ROM had afterburner trails, too, which I miss. For the backgrounds I've just copied and pasted the nebulae from some of the FS2 campaign missions. It looks fine.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline wEvil

• The Other Good Renderer
    • http://www.andymelville.net
im sure you can replace the nebula textures with some smooth shaded types.

Failing that just get your hex editor out and poke around a bit.

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
Failing that just get your hex editor out and poke around a bit.

:doubt:

WARNING: This program has performed an illegal operation and may have damaged the following files:
kernel.exe
*.cab
*.dll
Please reboot and run scandisk to check for errors

;)
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline wEvil

• The Other Good Renderer
    • http://www.andymelville.net
Originally posted by an0n

:doubt:

WARNING: This program has performed an illegal operation and may have damaged the following files:
kernel.exe
*.cab
*.dll
Please reboot and run scandisk to check for errors

;)

only if you don't know what your doing *shines tuxedo lapel*

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Re: Re: Question - FS1 nebulas?
Originally posted by GalacticEmperor

Ditto. The FS1 DVD-ROM had afterburner trails, too, which I miss. For the backgrounds I've just copied and pasted the nebulae from some of the FS2 campaign missions. It looks fine.

Afterburner trails!! Who would've thought it! Can you get a screenshot..? :D
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
OOOOHHH IDEA!!! Make a huge cube with about 700 seperate planes all along only 2 axis, each with the nebula texture shifted slightly, and make the texture interspersed with loads of 1pixel dots of that green colour making them semi-transparent. Then in the tbl files make in non-crash-into-able. Then stick 3 of them in mission and rotate so that the planes cover all axis. Tada, nebula.

Basically just a mess of faces that are partially see through and non-crash-into-able. The further away you were the more non-transparent texture in the way and the fainter the ship.
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Re: Re: Re: Question - FS1 nebulas?
Originally posted by Setekh

Afterburner trails!! Who would've thought it! Can you get a screenshot..? :D

I'll try, but I uninstalled the DVD-ROM version because it wasn't compatible with Silent Threat. (Of course, I could do it now because I know how it works...) I'll try to get a screenie or two.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Oooh afterburner trails.

I was thinking one part of the port would be to have continuity in mission backgrounds. You might want to talk to IceFire on nebulas since he did some for Antares and other systems in Over the Top.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Weird, AB trails have gone off. Maybe it's because I installed Silent Threat... dunno, I'll have to check it out. Perhaps it's a flag in the ships.tbl that we don't know about? I'll investigate.

As far as nebulae go, I'm not concerned about continuity, except in Reaching the Zenith and Running the Gauntlet, where I use the same background.

On a similar wavelength, can I get anyone to convert the FS1 subspace node model to FS2 format? You know, like the shockwaves: not needed, but just to lend a little more FS1 feel to it.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by GalacticEmperor
Weird, AB trails have gone off. Maybe it's because I installed Silent Threat... dunno, I'll have to check it out. Perhaps it's a flag in the ships.tbl that we don't know about? I'll investigate.

Odd. If it's anything like the neb trails, it'll be in the ships.tbl. What does it look like? Is it an animation or is it more static, like the neb trails...?

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Okay, I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that I found the code for the afterburner trails. It's right after the $Score flag, and it reads

$Etrail: 100
$EtrailAB: 100

for every fighter and bomber.

The bad news is that it doesn't seem to work in Freespace 2. Sorry. :(

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
:(

No prob. Still wish I could get a screenie, though. Maybe I'll go buy the DVD edition. :D