Author Topic: FS1 Campaign missions buggy  (Read 3911 times)

Offline Redstreblo

• Darth Lobster
  • Current Project: Vasudan Imperium (\/) (;,;) (\/)
FS1 Campaign missions buggy
I am surprised that the FreeSpace 1 campaign missions have not been debugged with the FSPort. I finally got FSO on my computer up and running and played part of FS1 and found many bugs with the missions (mainly no RTB directives - or the directive shows up after a while of time lapse).

There are several mission specific bugs that I have found, such as when the Galatea is making a quick stop in "Tenderizer." The Galatea jumps in and stops in the middle of the jump node where it flys around a bit and when the mission calls for it to depart it jumps out heading in whatever direction it happened to be pointed at the time. I'm sure the developers meant for it to jump in some distance from the node - fly to the node- then jump out in the node.

I finally got FreeSpace up on my computer and was planning on working on Vasudan Imperium some more, but came across these and thought that I would be able to quickly re-FRED these to get rid of some of the bugs.

Please tell me if somebody has already done this so that I know if I'm wasting time or not.

If nobody has done this are there any volunteers? (we could make this thread into a "post your FS1 bug finds here and we'll fix 'em" type thing).
I, Aries one, have proved myself superior to the legendary Terran pilot Alpha one! Let the Vasudan people take pride in this accomplishment, and take the Parliamentary Vasudan Empire to victory over the inferior Galactic Terran Alliance! Long live the Emperor!

Offline Qent

Re: FS1 Campaign missions buggy
Not sure, and you didn't say differently, but these sound like things that FSPort never intends to "fix."

Still, sounds like a good plan.

(BTW, FSPort does have its very own forum. :P)

Offline Redstreblo

• Darth Lobster
Not sure, and you didn't say differently, but these sound like things that FSPort never intends to "fix."

Still, sounds like a good plan.

(BTW, FSPort does have its very own forum. :P)

Well I know FSPort has a forum, but I think they are more about porting it to FS2. I figured that squishing bugs in the original campaign would be more appropriate for the "Campaign restoration project" because I would be fixing a campaign that is already released and working fine with FSO. (Some may call it "restoring the FS1 Main Campaign" :P ).

I'll leave it to the moderators.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 12:18:44 am by Redstreblo »
I, Aries one, have proved myself superior to the legendary Terran pilot Alpha one! Let the Vasudan people take pride in this accomplishment, and take the Parliamentary Vasudan Empire to victory over the inferior Galactic Terran Alliance! Long live the Emperor!

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
Changes to FS1 have been made exclusively by the FSPort team.  We only deal with user made campaigns at the FSCRP.
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Goober and Galemp. Ask them. Also.. you have an FSPort badge, you could have put this in internal.. or read the internal posts we've had discussing issues like these...
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Redstreblo

• Darth Lobster
Goober and Galemp. Ask them. Also.. you have an FSPort badge, you could have put this in internal.. or read the internal posts we've had discussing issues like these...

LOL I just went into the private boards and noted that this has been addressed.  :banghead:

[PRIVATE] Editing retail missions

Seems to me like people like it just the way it is even though it is buggy. - but I also get the feeling that it is just that nobody wants to have to FRED all of the missions all over again.
I'll get started on it by myself and we can have our cake and eat it too.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Redstroblo, keep in mind that there's a VAST difference between missing RTB directives and the Galatea's behavior in Tenderizer.  The Tenderizer jump is fundamental to the mission, so we don't want to change it.  But we're perfectly fine with adding missing RTB directives.

In fact, in Galemp's most recent pass through the missions he verified the presence of RTB directives in all the right places.  Where do you see them missing?

Offline Redstreblo

• Darth Lobster
the tenderizer jump is fundamental to the mission? is it mission breaking to have it jump out into the node instead of somewhere outside of it? (They do say that it is jumping to the other system - meaning it is using the node (which it isn't).

And the RTBs do exist, it's just that some of them come in 20 or so seconds later than they should. I wasn't playing FS1 specifically to look for bugs so I forget which missions specifically.

But I'll leave it alone...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Well, considering how everything else in the mission is laid out, making the Galatea start much further from the node would completely change how the attack plays out.  I'd guess that :v: originally positioned the Galatea like they did so that the player wouldn't have to fly several kilometers back towards it after examining the sentries.

Offline Redstreblo

• Darth Lobster
well it takes some time for the ship to come to a complete stop after jumping in, we could move it back, have it stop in just the right place where we can have it jump out into the node properly. It doesn't have to be moving forward at all, it could just sit still right next to the node (not far from where the player is at all) instead of in the node.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
the tenderizer jump is fundamental to the mission?
Yes, if you know what "fundamental" means.  By "fundamental to the mission" I don't mean "it's the best part of the mission".  It's not; it's pretty goofy.  But it is fundamental because if you changed it you'd have to rewrite the entire mission.

is it mission breaking to have it jump out into the node instead of somewhere outside of it? (They do say that it is jumping to the other system - meaning it is using the node (which it isn't).
Irrelevant.  We don't know the actual effective radius of a jump node.  And take a look at "Paving the Way" for an instance of the Galatea jumping out way outside the node after moving in a straight line for the entire mission.

And the RTBs do exist, it's just that some of them come in 20 or so seconds later than they should. I wasn't playing FS1 specifically to look for bugs so I forget which missions specifically.
If you or anyone else posts a list of the mistimed RTB events, I'll look into fixing them.