Author Topic: W-H-I-Y-L - boom shake-shake shake the-room.  (Read 3009885 times)

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
Re: W-H-I-Y-L - boom shake-shake shake the-room.
Remember how I asked where that one bit of stock planet collision animation that's used in Devin Townsend's evermore music video (at 3:56) came from?

https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=95459.msg1890543#msg1890543

Well, I found it! It's from the Naked Science special "Catastrophe - Birth of the Planet"

In case anyone was wondering.
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
So, I finally committed to putting a new operating system on my new computer - went with Solus 4.1. Took a while to figure it out, but the initial install was finally completed last night. Don't know when I'll have the time available to fully kit out the machine, but all seems well.

WHAT IS WEIRD is the stuff that kept happening when trying to download the software. I went through multiple attempts to just download the .iso, and finally got a good connection through the Helsinki, Finland mirror. I swore the file downloaded properly earlier in the day, but it was then nowhere to be found on the machine. The confirmed good download eventually disappeared as well! 1.7GB... vanished! Searching through hidden files and running Recuva had no effect - it's the strangest thing I've seen in computing to date.

...All the while, I do not believe there was anything wrong with the files I downloaded. I even tried to figure out the security/checksum stuff that's provided for the .iso (and it seemed to check out... at least as much as you can check it out on Windows). The only thing I can figure is that some of the software I downloaded to flash the USB drive wiped out the download... perhaps it loaded the stuff into RAM, and eventually the RAM purged, and poof. But then, that's all speculation. Needless to say, I won't recommend Balena Etcher as a flashing program, and perhaps that's why none (or very few) of the tutorials I've seen suggested it.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Hey I've got a question for anybody living in a metric-using country:

So cannons mounted on British sailing ships were measured in pounds, by the weight of the ball they would fire: 6-pounder, 8-pounder, 12-pounder, etc.
If the British Empire had had only the metric system, and no concept of "the pound", how would they measure cannon sizes in this fashion?
3-kilo? 3-kiloer? Think they'd go straight for bore in mm or cm? Any ideas?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
So cannons mounted on British sailing ships were measured in pounds, by the weight of the ball they would fire: 6-pounder, 8-pounder, 12-pounder, etc.
If the British Empire had had only the metric system, and no concept of "the pound", how would they measure cannon sizes in this fashion?
3-kilo? 3-kiloer? Think they'd go straight for bore in mm or cm? Any ideas?

After the introduction of metric units of measurement, the german military switched to a pretty uniform designation system for its cannons that listed the gun caliber followed by its length expressed as a multiple of the caliber (for example, SMS Goeben's main guns were designated "28 cm L/50", meaning they were 28x50 =  1400 cm long).
The thing is though, the question is somewhat beside the point. Historically speaking, the switch from measuring guns by their weight of shot to measuring the bore diameter came about because gun manufacturing advanced to a point where ammunition could be centrally produced and standardized; specifying the ammo for a gun with the bore diameter as the primary measurement just made more sense than just giving people weights to aim for. Furthermore, with brown and later smokeless powder, the length of a barrel becomes a massive factor in determining the ballistic performance of a gun, so again a standardized formula established itself whereby gun length was measured in multiples of its bore diameter. Whether you're using metric or imperial measurements doesn't really matter - defining a gun as 16"/50 is just as clear as calling it a 406mm/L50.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

[...]specifying the ammo for a gun with the bore diameter as the primary measurement just made more sense than just giving people weights to aim for. Furthermore, with brown and later smokeless powder, the length of a barrel becomes a massive factor in determining the ballistic performance of a gun, so again a standardized formula established itself whereby gun length was measured in multiples of its bore diameter. Whether you're using metric or imperial measurements doesn't really matter - defining a gun as 16"/50 is just as clear as calling it a 406mm/L50.

Ok, yes, that definitely makes more sense. However, hypothetically, if a metric-using country was to rate cannons based on projectile weight, how would they be called? I'm asking for a fiction thing I'm writing.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Well we're a bit metric and a bit British imperial still.  30mm cannon on our IFV for instance.

But if you look here,
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Vanguard_(23)
The last battleship in the world to be made shows 15 inch equates to about 380mm so use whatever tickles your pickle 👍👍
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Ok, yes, that definitely makes more sense. However, hypothetically, if a metric-using country was to rate cannons based on projectile weight, how would they be called? I'm asking for a fiction thing I'm writing.

If you want to use metric, "3 kilo" would probably be the best. Not a "3 kiloër", becuase whilst in English "Pounding" is a word, "kiloing" isn't a word in any language that uses metric that I'm aware of - in no small part because the metric system's terms are derived from latin, so there's limited etymology going around: Until their respective countries introduced metric, no living languages were using words like "kilo", and a lot of people kept using the old terms for things. The Dutch kept using "pond" (pound) even after the introduction of metric. In no small part becuase the amsterdam pound is 497 grams, so we just rounded it up so that "pound" now means half a kilo and kept using it.

It could be worth looking at how metric countries classify their naval guns. The French version isn't that different from the Germans, being based on length rather then weight, and with a designation for the model year (138mm model 1893). Before that, the french also used pounds.

It seems like whenever people made the shift from the inprecise pounds (which before the introduction of metric used to vary per city) to the precise metric they also updated their gun calibre designations to be more precise. The very concept of metric invites precision as evidenced by the meter itself: "we take one ten-millionth of the distance between the North Pole and the Equator along the meridian through Paris and then adjust it so it becomes more precise" rather then "We take an average foot and work from there".

tl;dr: A metric using country wouldn't actually rate cannons based on projectile weight becuase metric is a language of precise science and rating projectiles by weight is born from a previous era where this precision did not exist.

The Dutch kept using "pond" (pound) even after the introduction of metric. In no small part becuase the amsterdam pound is 497 grams, so we just rounded it up so that "pound" now means half a kilo and kept using it.

That is great! Also everything else, thanks, it helped a lot.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
****. ****. ****.

You know.. just a few weeks ago I would have said 2020 is coming up all MjnMixael. I got a great job with people I care about doing something I'm good at (IT) at a company that actually gives two ****s about it's employees. My wife and I are happily expecting our fourth kid in September. My wife and I landed in some good financial fortune because of all the improvements I made to our home. We refinanced and paid off all our debt (except the mortgage, of course). I finally got over some depression I was dealing with and got back into my hobbies. I landed in an a-capella quartet of good friends and we're getting really good. I became president of the board in the chorus I sing with. That chorus qualified for international competition in first place. The kids were doing well in school and starting to build real childhood friendships. It's fun to watch them grow and live their lives.

Now it's all shut down. I mean, I still have my job and it's good. I'm working from home until further notice. I haven't left the house in about two weeks. The kids are out of school for the next month if not the rest of the school year. They can't have playdates either. All the quartet and chorus stuff is down. Contests and shows are cancelled for the rest of the year so that also means my vacation plans are scrapped. International contest was going to be in LA this year. I've never been to California and was looking forward to it. My wife has been so sick from the first trimester of the pregnancy that she goes to bed pretty much right after the kids do. We haven't really spent time together in at least a month. And here I am on the eve of my 33rd birthday drinking my favorite stout alone and posting on an internet forum. No plans tomorrow because of the quarantine/social-distancing. I'm trying to make the best of it all... but it's starting to take a toll on me. I needed to share. Thanks for listening.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Dude,  you're looking at this from the wrong perspective, you get to spend quality time with your family in a safe environment and that's something not everyone has the luxury of.   

Stay safe and look after them 👍👍❤️
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Dude,  you're looking at this from the wrong perspective, you get to spend quality time with your family in a safe environment and that's something not everyone has the luxury of.   

Stay safe and look after them 👍👍❤️

Yeah, and so what if school's closed? You are here; teach your kids a thing or two that they won't otherwise learn in classes. Alternatively, help your kids facilitate their real-life friendships online. It will work because they already know their friends in person.

Don't sit around and wring your hands; you are distracted from what you can do for yourself and your family right now with what you have.

I'm quarantined in a hotel room for 14 straight days, and I intend to make the most out of it - pound away at my university assignments, chat with my family on Skype and my online friends on Discord, and just observe covid-19 as it makes its rounds.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Anybody here play Urban Terror?  (free open source shooter sort of like CS:GO, mid-2000's tech, Q3A engine, new Unreal remake, UrT: Resurgence in the works but the original is still very playable, and if you've got less than stellar hardware it's really lightweight)  They've currently usually got 4-7 servers populated, but with a little coordination there's usually 10-20 empty servers as well if everyone ever wanted to jump on and shoot it out.  FFA, DM, TDM, CTF are supported modes, many many maps that can auto-download and apply in time to join if you don't already have them.  Worth a try, I've been playing a bit again recently.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Well, I haven't been hanging around these forums much over the last few years, the reason for this? I used to visit the forum often when I was in work (slacking off lol), however I contracted lung cancer and had to take early retirement, (with a nice big payout from my pension scheme :) ). So this self isolation during the corona virus lockdown has been same old same old for me as I have been receiving immunotherpay for the cancer and as my immune system w2as compromised I was some what self isolating for the past 2-3 years anyway. Good news is that I am now in recession, and although I have 2 more treatments left (which have been deferred during lockdown) I am free and clear of cancer as of now. Soon I shall only have to have a CT scan every 6 months to check I am still free of cancer.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Aw fuuuuuuck dude.  Massive hugs and here's looking forward to you seeing the end of it soon.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Well, I haven't been hanging around these forums much over the last few years, the reason for this? I used to visit the forum often when I was in work (slacking off lol), however I contracted lung cancer and had to take early retirement, (with a nice big payout from my pension scheme :) ). So this self isolation during the corona virus lockdown has been same old same old for me as I have been receiving immunotherpay for the cancer and as my immune system w2as compromised I was some what self isolating for the past 2-3 years anyway. Good news is that I am now in recession, and although I have 2 more treatments left (which have been deferred during lockdown) I am free and clear of cancer as of now. Soon I shall only have to have a CT scan every 6 months to check I am still free of cancer.
Really glad to hear that you're doing well.  **** cancer.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Aw fuuuuuuck dude.  Massive hugs and here's looking forward to you seeing the end of it soon.

Really glad to hear that you're doing well.  **** cancer.

Many thanks guys, and now I have a gaming laptop and gaming PC and a lot of free time, I may start hanging around these forums more often  :yes:
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline SL1

I've apparently lost a significant amount of weight by accident due to depression draining my will to do much of anything, and suddenly none of my pants fit right. It's extremely irritating.

On the plus side, I recently discovered that Pluto TV exists and has a 24/7 American Gladiators channel. Does anyone else find that when you see the same ads over and over again, you start to kind of miss them when they're not showing anymore, even if you didn't even really like them? I've been having that experience watching Pluto over the past month.

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
I've apparently lost a significant amount of weight by accident due to depression draining my will to do much of anything, and suddenly none of my pants fit right. It's extremely irritating.

On the plus side, I recently discovered that Pluto TV exists and has a 24/7 American Gladiators channel. Does anyone else find that when you see the same ads over and over again, you start to kind of miss them when they're not showing anymore, even if you didn't even really like them? I've been having that experience watching Pluto over the past month.

Remember, sometimes you just gotta take life one day at a time, small acts of self-care are Far better then nothing.

Yeah Pluto TV has lots of stuff, if you like old B&W shows, I believe there is an abundance of them on it.
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline SL1

Remember, sometimes you just gotta take life one day at a time, small acts of self-care are Far better then nothing.

Unfortunately, I'm better at self-hate than self-care.

I had a phlebotomist decide that she missed her calling as a miner, searching for a deep vein after overpenetrating the first one.

I passed out immediately following the draw, and I've been sick enough since that I had to call out from work.  Oh, and it was immediately apparent that the sample was QNS, so I have to go get restuck tomorrow.  :doubt: