Author Topic: Buy Bard's Tale 4 - Get Freespace 3?  (Read 4809 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Buy Bard's Tale 4 - Get Freespace 3?
https://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/brian-fargo-wants-to-buy-back-interplay-1202944111/

Well, I don't know how much hope there would be of the 2nd half but this is a rather interesting proposition. Apparently one of the founders of Interplay who later left the company has stated that if Bard's Tale 4 does really well he'll attempt to buy back the remains of Interplay so that he can make games from the IP they've been hoarding like a moribund dragon.

Now while I don't know much about Bard's Tale 4, I remember putting hours into the first one so this has got me a little interested in the game. If you were already interested BT4 and you're a member of any other sites which are devoted to other Interplay games, it might be worth spreading the news.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Re: Buy Bard's Tale 4 - Get Freespace 3?
I don't see how this should lead to FS3, apart from Interplays hoarded IPs changing owner. :(

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
It's a long shot. But less long than with Interplay owning the rights.

Offline Snarks

If Bard's Tale 4 is something you want, by all means buy it. But I question whether or not FS3 being produced in such a manner would be satisfying at all.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I could definitely live with a big budget TV War prequel or Silent Threat done right even if we already have those in the community. A spiritual successor rather than a conclusion to the series. :v: are pretty smart and would probably avoid trying to follow on from FS2.

Offline CT27

I'd rather have the story be continued rather than seeing something already done before.  In other words, I'd like a FS3.

Now an 'alternate history' FS (the Shivans never show up during the T-V War for example), that would be cool IMO.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
How about a FS-themed FPS?  Fending off Vasudan boarding parties, invading Vasudan colonies, being part of the team that boards the Shivan transport... just a few ideas.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Just that killing zods is like :pimp:
while killing Shivans is like :shaking:

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
How about a FS-themed FPS?  Fending off Vasudan boarding parties, invading Vasudan colonies, being part of the team that boards the Shivan transport... just a few ideas.

This would be sweet.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I could definitely live with a big budget TV War prequel or Silent Threat done right even if we already have those in the community. A spiritual successor rather than a conclusion to the series. :v: are pretty smart and would probably avoid trying to follow on from FS2.

A sequel to FS2 would be their chance to do a BSG, a prequel would be their chance to do a Blood & Chrome (with exactly the same chances of it being a good show). People always ask for prequels about the most boring parts of stories but there's a reason they're offscreen.

BSG + FS2 = Exile

This community is just too awesome.

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever

A sequel to FS2 would be their chance to do a BSG, a prequel would be their chance to do a Blood & Chrome (with exactly the same chances of it being a good show). People always ask for prequels about the most boring parts of stories but there's a reason they're offscreen.

You think the TV war would be boring?
Stuff

Trench line warfare is a particular not exciting kind of warfare to soldiers. If you want to get a good impression of that, play Frontlines. It's an excellent campaign, but doing that for 14 years would be nobody's liking.

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum

Fourteen years of back-and-forth conflict that we know ultimately concludes with a great big non-ending because the Shivans show up and wreck everything? Yeah, that'd probably be pretty boring. 

Not to mention the tech base would be more limited than what we had in FS1, which would lead to way more boring engagements--no shields, weak point defenses, no beams, and if what we saw in early FS1 is any indication, the available spaceships would be garbage by FS2 standards.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever

Fourteen years of back-and-forth conflict that we know ultimately concludes with a great big non-ending because the Shivans show up and wreck everything? Yeah, that'd probably be pretty boring. 

Not to mention the tech base would be more limited than what we had in FS1, which would lead to way more boring engagements--no shields, weak point defenses, no beams, and if what we saw in early FS1 is any indication, the available spaceships would be garbage by FS2 standards.

I suppose that's true.

It could be chance to explore some interesting plot points though; the reasons for the war, the inner workings/politics of the GTA and PVE, some greater fleshing out of the GTI and HOL. Granted that's probably going to make for a fairly short campaign, perhaps not deserving of a full game.

The ASW might be a better choice for a prequel, I think if :v: or Revival were to do another FS game, that's what I'd want.
Stuff

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Wing Commander ended with a big non-ending. I seem to remember that people enjoyed it. Just don't end the campaign with Operation Thresher.

Offline Snarks

I think there is merit to a prequel game, but the mistake would be assuming the formula that works in Freespace will work there. Most settings can work, if you play to its strengths, but that means having the freedom to build mechanics and ideas from the ground up.

Just off the top of my head, a space RTS / grand strategy type game could probably work pretty well with the Terran-Vasudan setting. Instead of controlling a single fighter, you'd control entire fleets, sending out strikecraft wings to various missions or picking what kind of technology to research. Perhaps some personel management could also be implemented. There's plenty of behind the scene damage control action happening all the time in Freespace that we never get to see.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
If they make another Freespace by some incredible miracle, it had damn well better be a first person linear scripted mission-based space shooter about humans and Vasudans fighting Shivans.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Actually, I could see a Hostile Waters/Carrier Command style game working well. You'd have fleet command but could leap into any fighter and take direct control of it.

That way the fragility of TV eta fighters wouldn't be as big of a problem.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
If they make another Freespace by some incredible miracle, it had damn well better be a first person linear scripted mission-based space shooter about humans and Vasudans fighting Shivans.
A-****ing-men.