Author Topic: Sol: Exodus - Has anyone seen this!?  (Read 12268 times)

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Re: Sol: Exodus - Has anyone seen this!?
There is one thing that could save this game....   built in modding support.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance
Yep, FSO is at least one hundred times better than this.

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
Yep, FSO is at least one hundred times better than this.

Its that bad, huh...
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

Crappy graphics.
Crappy sound.
Crappy physics.
Crappy storyline.
Crappy universe.
Freelancer looking controls (joypad or joystick or not).
Cockpits AND a HUD, cockpits are bad on their own, REDUNDANT cockpits piss me off even more.
...Yea. Not interested
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Cockpits AND a HUD, cockpits are bad on their own, REDUNDANT cockpits piss me off even more.

I know you're entitled to your own opinion, but I feel that your opinion is misguided on this accord. With respect toeverything else,

...Yea. Not interested

...I completely agree.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Mikes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzaGImcs_4Y lol... this is painful to watch...

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Capital ships seem to have a lot of destructable parts....
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
Its not THAT bad... But then again I have not yet played the game, I liked the HUD though (The missile lock parts), even the missile particle effects, It would be nice to see those in Freespace..

EDIT: Spelling corrections.. :P
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 03:22:58 am by Crybertrance »
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

Offline newman

I'm fairly certain it was more than possible to come up with a freelancer trailer that would have permanently put me off that game. As it happens, yes it'd dumbed down flight mechanics a trained ape could master taking place in ridiculously wrong scaled systems, but that game was ridiculously fun to play and had a pretty cool universe and storyline to boot.
If we were bombarded with new titles from this genre every now and then I'd probably be onboard with most people here, writing it off in advance. Since that genre is all but dead, I'm going to give this one a benefit of the doubt.
But I fear the end result will be something like this; game comes out, does badly (these trailers certainly aren't helping matters), everyone concludes this genre isn't profitable and they move on to making some piss poor Crysis clone. That's assuming they stay afloat.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Generally, when peoepl are enamoured wiht a title - and antoher possible contender pops up, the reaction are usually one of hte two:
- hope and excietment
- hate and resenmnet (as it could jeopardize ones beloved title status)

I know I had a reaction of the second type when I first heard of FS. Was a X-Wing fan back then.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I still need to force myself to install Basilisk II so that I can put Mac OS 7 on as an emulator... then I can play X-Wing again!

I'm still an X-Wing fan, by the way.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline JGZinv

Evidently the game has only 8 missions... the devs are already taking flak and being defensive about it, claiming they never
said it was going to be "all that." They did the best they could with a super small team to make a highly polished title.
Basically it amounts to an Xbox Live arcade game.

In the comments... http://kotaku.com/5878483/space-combat-sim-sol-exodus-launches-on-steam-january-25

Offline JGZinv

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance
Actually, that made me think of something.

Why doesn't the HLP community band together and create a well-polished, well-planned, commercial game? That should at least boost the genre.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Actually, that made me think of something.

Why doesn't the HLP community band together and create a well-polished, well-planned, commercial game? That should at least boost the genre.

That's a nice can of worms you have there.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Yes, that would be such a good idea x.x;;;;;;;;;;;;
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

I just played though 4 missions.
I really want to like this game, but it feels very unpolished, controls are not tight enough to make you feel powerful, and in control.

-The keyboard mapping is disappointing.

-The targeting system is terrible(half the time I'm trying to find the target ship).

The radar is a disappointment, it does not help you navigate enemies.

-You have to be very precise to make quick kills, most of the time it seems as if the main guns are missing, when they should be hitting .

-Collision detection is weak, kinda feels like your playing lazertag.

-I like the idea of hacking capital ships, it adds a deeper element, but I find it takes you out of combat.

-Graphics are pretty good though and smooth for the most part.

-Only 10$ Bucks, its still fun. I hope these guys at seamless keep working on evolving this I.P. Im still glad I bought the game, I feel the need to encourage this genre any way I can.

Offline Mikes

oh god ... this is so bad it hurts... really really hurts LOL.

... why did I have to buy it, damn you space sim withdrawl dawn you!

I couldn't even make it past the 2nd mission... just couldn't... from the utterly braindead AI, valium inspired gameplay to mission design that repeatedly spawns 2-4 new enemy fighters to attack the transport you have to protect everytime you kill the old wave... to the hilariously unusable 2d "top down" radar (in a 3d game lol)... to the utter blandness and triviality of the combat itself...  oh sheez...  that Half Life 2 space combat mod I used to play was more polished and had 10 times better gameplay than this POS. LOL.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 12:09:57 pm by Mikes »

<3 the original Freespace radar ;x

Ridiculously short campaign and lacklustre sound. Combat is really weird too, reticle is all but useless for me. I was better off trying to judge tracers, which is another can of beans. Not even sure why they bothered with those missiles really. Also, there's a bit in one of the missions where you need to shoot out some ship's engines, there's not much feedback of them being destroyed. All in all I feel like it should be taken back in and given another work-over, there's potential but the design choices aren't letting it shine.