Author Topic: Sol: Exodus - Has anyone seen this!?  (Read 12274 times)

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Re: Sol: Exodus - Has anyone seen this!?
The Steam forum for the game is getting hit pretty hard....   The devs are certainly getting ripped left and right.
Evidently they are looking at episodic DLC and a skirmish mode in the future.

Lots of die-hards saying it's not as good as FS2, or whatever... etc etc.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance
Actually, that made me think of something.

Why doesn't the HLP community band together and create a well-polished, well-planned, commercial game? That should at least boost the genre.

That's a nice can of worms you have there.
?

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Not enough money, time, coders, and capability to get people to agree on doing it one way so progress would be made.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?

Why doesn't the HLP community band together and create a well-polished, well-planned, commercial game? That should at least boost the genre.

I'd do it, but I'd need a team of dedicated programmers to make a custom graphics and physics engine. The community has that talent but I don't know if it has the will.

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance

I'd do it, but I'd need a team of dedicated programmers to make a custom graphics and physics engine. The community has that talent but I don't know if it has the will.

If you make enough modifications to the FS2 engine, won't it eventually be different enough to legally be a different work?

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?

If you make enough modifications to the FS2 engine, won't it eventually be different enough to legally be a different work?

It would be easier, quicker, and take less time to develop a new engine or use an open source engine under a less restrictive license. That's what you'd be doing anyway.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Liked the review, thanks.
Gives you a few things to think about this game, and others.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I disagree with the "fast" comment. I've found that most games with a speed cap/simply defined physics system either tend to "clump" together or move very slowly. The game in question, much like vanilla FS, seems to do both.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Angy Joe likes FS2...

I like Angy Joe.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
So, I got the game (what the hey, it's just ten bucks, and if it does well, it could boost the genre a bit...) and downloaded it with the third-I-guess-they're-apparently-coming-pretty-fast patch, and after some joystick tweaks, found it to be not-that-bad. Y'know, for the price and all. The devs seem to be pretty involved, post-release, which is good, and if it had multi, I'd recommend it pretty unreservedishly.

Again, that's considering that it's a 10$ game, not an AAA title, and it's just my .02$.
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

I might get this. I just got Project Freedom on Steam, but its definitely something not to write home about. Controls are way too limited and simple. Plus the game doesn't appear to run on some computers with Windows 7 x64, like my laptop for instance. Plus the voice acting and dialogue is laughable. Granted for $3 I can't complain too much, it does feature more than 8 missions, 21 if I recall. Still SOL does seem like the better budget Flight Sim.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
It's an alright game, but it never quite loses the UT3 at the heart of it, there's an arcadey shooty thing living in the core of Sol:Exodus.

The missions are interesting, but a little too close quarters to be able to regulate most of the time, it's not so much a question of identifying and meeting a threat so much as hoping you are close enough to the bad guys when they appear to reach them before they reach their target, there's little more strategy than that.

The voice acting is ok but just ok, not so bad as to be corny, but often with little emotion or investment, simply lines read from a page. The combat is fun and fulfilling, though a little more choice with regards to loadout would have been nice, and it would have been nice to see some performance damage modelling, a ship with fire pouring out of every orifice should not still be capable of hitting full speed and offloading weapons. Still, Freespace 2 ships do that as well, so I'm not complaining too loudly ;)

The hacking aspect was interesting, but could be annoying in the middle of a frantic firefight, possibly voice recognition software of some kind could come in handy there, it'd be cool just to say the letter of the choice, and not have to move your hands away from the flight surfaces.

All in all, it didn't really feel like a Space Combat Sim as is usually understood, it felt for more like exactly what it is, Unreal with spaceships and less weapons. Not terrible for the price, but less a Space Opera, and more a Space Musical.