Author Topic: Nintendo Switch is a thing  (Read 1511 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Nintendo Switch is a thing
So Ninty has been at work on a new Console.

That is actually looking surprisingly good. Rumour says that it's going to be sold for 299 USD, which is probably the sweet spot for new consoles right now.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Luis Dias

Re: Nintendo Switch is a thing
It does look incredibly good! This is the correct answer to the Wii U debacle.

Nintendo always tries to go deeper, I love that about them.

Offline Thisisaverylongusername

• This is fine.
Oh wow. I'd buy it if it turns out as good as it looks in the ad.
If the opposite of pro is con, then is the opposite of progress Congress?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Splatoon Update/Sequal? New Mario? Porta-Console Pokemon RPG on my TV? Yeah, I'm in.

My concern is HDD space, though. I like to download all my games. I only have a few leftover Wii discs. I've bought everything on WiiU/3DS digitally. (All games always on my 3DS for maximum portability, and I'm just too damn lazy to change discs on Wii U when I want to switch games.) So yeah... that just may not be possible on the Switch which would make me sad. I don't want to carry around a bunch of cartridges.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

If it's indeed like what's shown in the ad, this is a definite buy for me. It looks like it's everything I'd ever wish for in a console-handheld combination. The Skyrim gameplay, does that mean that they're bringing the title to the platform or does it suggest PC streaming, like the Nvidia Shield?

The only way I could think of making it better if it has a fully vanilla Windows (7) OS behind it for all my modding needs, a full PC-Console-Handheld combination.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It's Nintendo. There is absolutely no way that PC Streaming is a thing for this. Nintendo is in more of a closed ecosystem than Apple could ever dream to be.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Wii U DU Over! Looks like they're getting it right so far. Something like this is probably the only thing that can tempt me to get a dedicated piece of gaming hardware at this point. Here's hoping it isn't hamstrung by horrible inexplicable obviously bad decisions!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Heh, and I've still never managed to get around to picking up either a Wii U or 3DS.  Depending on how backwards compatibility is handled, I might be able to just skip the former at this point.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
This looks good...

My only major concern at this stage is the with the controllers/mobile units handling... While the option to de-couple the controller and use the screen seperately solves a good chuck of the useability problems with WiiU controller for off-TV-screen play, how resistant the mechanism is to wear or break will have to be determined.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."