Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 576447 times)

Offline rhx123

No problemo, the only reason i was using that site was for the status box really.

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
We seriously need LogBlock back, what's the status with SQL?
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
Well, once again, me and BlastYoBoots lost (within 5 min of each other) everything.  He was carrying ****-knows-what and I had just about all of my good stuff.  We were about to go spelunking, and then suddenly RANDOM OPEN LAVA at the mob grinder (fenris station).  Both of us lost full set of iron armor and diamond tools, plus all of the supplies in our inventories (a few stacks of iron and coal, a bunch of wood and some cobble, and a bunch of random other items of varying value.)

Sorry but I don't think I'll be playing any more.  I do not have any time to spend and just grind out materials because I'm usually working at home from the moment I wake up to a few hours before I fall asleep.  When buying Minecraft, most players are not aware that it's a roguelike game, where as misstep can kill 15 hours of play irreversibly.  Their mistake.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 08:07:17 pm by Dark RevenantX »

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Dont carry all of your inventory at once unless you are extra super careful. I also carry a water bucket at all times in case of lava.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Thing is, material is pretty plentiful anyway, diamond stuff is harder to replace, but then, I always use stone or iron to mine near lava for just that reason. I've even died a couple of times falling off my own tower in my base, that's no biggie, since I have my stuff back in <30 seconds, but Lava is the only real stuff you need to be wary of. The only time I take Diamond tools near Lava is when I'm obsidian farming.

I suppose like all games, dying should be considered a learning experience ;)

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
I was killed by the lava at the Fenris site.  I was just meeting there to stage an expedition out into the wilderness.  I took what I would need - which meant a full set of tools, a bunch of random functional supplies (some wood, some iron, a stack of cobble, clock/watch, coal, a couple buckets, a bunch of torches, and all the food I had left), and armor.  I was running low on spares and now I am completely out of iron and diamond in the making of my replacement armor/tools.  The rest is just REALLY ****ING ANNOYING.  Why is there a bed of open lava at the Fenris station?

The real tragedy is my friend who ran straight into out-of-the-way lava because his computer seized up, and lost literally everything he had (he's not a server regular).

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
The lava is probably a dump-zone or a mob-trap if it's been put there deliberately. I don't play on the Fenris server, but most places have lava pits etc to throw the huge quantity of dirt and gravel that comes from large mining jobs. Personally, I set up a Lava fountain to do the job, it's a lot harder to fall into. It might also have been something that was unearthed whilst the site was being levelled for construction.

That said, the server I play on doesn't have mobs except in specific areas, but on single player, I tend to use stone or iron for expedition equipment until I can get a base of operations established. A Stone pick, shovel and sword, some leather armour and a pile of cooked pork chops is usually enough to get started and it means that if you get mobbed, or fall off a high area you haven't lost too much. I seem to recall that Creeper explosions don't do damage on the Fenris server, which makes life a lot easier with regards to building a small hut in the wilderness and then ferrying stuff there later.

That said, I know how frustrating it is to lose valuable stuff by accident, the game isn't for everyone, and hunting minerals with mobs active can be a pain, especially when you are trying to build a big construction project.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
I've lost count of how much diamond I've lost already. o_o

BTW, are there any castle-like structures on pece's server? I want to build a bigger one than the one I have on Richard's server, but I don't feel like making 2 on the same server.

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
The open lava is for the piston powered cobble farm which is still a work in progress, I'll glass it over tonight to prevent this from happening again.
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I've lost count of how much diamond I've lost already. o_o

BTW, are there any castle-like structures on pece's server? I want to build a bigger one than the one I have on Richard's server, but I don't feel like making 2 on the same server.

There's a couple, but don't let that stop you, the challenge isn't building the thing, it's making it interesting ;) Besides. mine is more like a Chateau than a Castle ;)

Offline rev_posix

• Administrator
  • I have the password to your shell account...
    • Trials and Tribulations
We seriously need LogBlock back, what's the status with SQL?
Take a look at DataLog.  I'm experimenting with it and it's been really good so far.  Even ships with a php frontend for DB queries.

Latest version added rules for item blocking, chat filtering, etc, and the dev is active in the bukkit forums.
--
POSIX is fine, as is Rev or RP

"Although generally it is considered a no no to disagree with a mod since it's pretty much equivalent to kicking an unpaid janitor in the nuts while he's busy cleaning up somebody elses vomit and then telling them how bad they are at cleaning it up cause you can smell it down the hall." - Dennis, Home Improvement Moderator @ DSL Reports

"wow, some people are thick and clearly can't think for themselves - the solution is to remove warning labels from poisons."

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I got killed several times by warping back home. Changed my home point several times too. The last home point didn't kill me so far...but then again, my first warp point didn't start killing me untill a week ago. I swear, it's something with the server or minecraft, cause I never had problems before.

Wouldn't be so bad if half the time I'm killed I don't also loose my entire inventory!!! Which is even more irritating if youre warping back from a mining session and you're full.
I lost a metic s***load of stuff....
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I think it's some kind of problem with the warping code to be honet, I've seen a couple of downloadable worlds that have warned people not to use the warp codes because it can lead to you losing all your stuff.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
It's not a very consistent problem though, most people on the server have no issues with warping.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Personally, I have the issue where using /home - when it works, what with my lag issues - often loads everything except the chunk I'm in, leaving me stranded, falling into a bottomless pit and being re-positioned at ground level every few seconds. So what I did was create a private "home" warp point that was a chunk or 2 away from my actual /home point (the /home point is right in front of my main entrance; the private warp point is inside my house). So now, when I find myself falling endlessly at my /home point, with all the other chunks around me loaded, I just "/warp home" and it instantly places me in the already-loaded chunk inside my house. ;)

I second what people said about using stone tools; the only times I use a diamond pickaxe is for mining obsidian and sometimes for carving out large construction areas; all the rest of the time I use stone wherever possible, and iron for those things that need it (redstone, gold, and diamond). The major advantage of stone tools is that they're made out of fully renewable resources, and aside from building structures, stone isn't used for all that much anyway; not so for iron, gold, and diamond.

The major exception to all this would be a diamond sword while spelunking (or otherwise anytime you expect to deal with hostile mobs). The immediate benefit of increased damage, and therefore less potential damage to you, is well worth it.

IMO diamond armor is never worth it during regular gameplay, as it uses up far too many diamonds. If it protected the user from falling into lava, I'd be all over that, but since it doesn't, then it gets completely lost far too often. Also, from what I read about the way armor works, it seems that diamond armor will not reduce any more damage per attack than iron or even leather armor - it simply can endure a lot more attacks.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I will never understand how you guys keep falling into random lava pits.  The only time I've ever fallen into one is when the sandpit I was mining had one directly underneath it when I started mining.  It was the oddest thing.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I will never understand how you guys keep falling into random lava pits.

This from the person who is "Totally covered in chicken excrement", despite the fact that in Minecraft, chickens don't poop, the only thing they produce is eggs! :rolleyes:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
I will never understand how you guys keep falling into random lava pits.  The only time I've ever fallen into one is when the sandpit I was mining had one directly underneath it when I started mining.  It was the oddest thing.

The first time it happened, it was someone who diverted lava to a position directly above my head in a dead-end tunnel.  Read: murder.

The second time, I was killed by a current of water above some glass; I was pulled down faster than I could swim up and died before I could type /home.

The third time, I was walking around on the Fenris station, there was a chunk loading in front of me, I walk forward expecting it to be some more roofing or a short drop to the ground.  Nope, it was a random bed of lava jutting out in the open that I had never seen before, despite me being at the Fenris a dozen times.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I will never understand how you guys keep falling into random lava pits.

This from the person who is "Totally covered in chicken excrement", despite the fact that in Minecraft, chickens don't poop, the only thing they produce is eggs! :rolleyes:

I got that from messing around in the "chicken**** moderators" thread. ;)

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken