Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 576592 times)

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
I just logged in and someone said "the server has a terrible connection today", left, and I crashed.
I logged back in and had a huge build privelage delay; I'd destroy a block, it'd pop back and after about 20-40 seconds it would finally get destroyed and drop. I crashed a couple of times and got ported back to my start position with the couple of blocks I took out still there. I found a world hole, crashed. Found another, fell down it (I though world holes were a rendering issue, I thought I could still walk on them), crashed. Got ported back to my previous save and instantly died, dropping about 5 diamonds, half a stack of iron and over 350 mushrooms (among other miscellaneous junk) and crashed. Next login sent me home with nothing, I walked around and then got ported back to a door I'd used a moment ago, walked away, got ported back again, walked throgh another door and got ported back to that door. At which point I gave up.

Unhappy server?

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
My ISP has ****ed something up, so sorry about that.

I have no clue as to when it will be fixed, since its out of my hands completely. Hopefully today, but i just dont know. It started messing up today around 1AM on my end (GMT+1), as witnessed by pretty much all the server regulars. At first we thought it was the server derping up, but then the rest of my internets started derping out, and i can barely open pages properly...

[edit] did i mention that pingtest.net reports ping around 1500ms and jitter from 1500-3600ms? In short, my ISP ****ed up something bad on their end, and i've spent at least an hour today already on trying to get through to someone with working higher-brain functions in their call center.
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
That was me talking to you, I got kicked off a few seconds later.

@Pece : Yeah, Yoko and I have been trying on and off all evening, and the connection has been awful. I'm not sure what your ISP are doing, possibly pouring glue into the routers ;)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Right I edited the railroad from Fenris-Trashpire. It now loops and stops at both ends with a button to continue. It also stops at the catacombs, an almost 2000 metres tunnel of about 20x20. Don't randomly go wreck things there (no TNT either!) and don't throw torches all around, or I'll hide the entrance as fast as I gifted access to the server. :) WARNING: The hatch to the catacombs is one-way only, it goes down. To go up one needs a password, can walk it all the way through to either one of the not-yet-so-clear exits or /warp and /home to a waypoint. Soon there'll be a huge nether-gate, unpreceded by any previous endeavours to reach a different station than the Kastra-built one. It should offer a new nether area to harvest glowstone etc from, given that fortunately placed glowstone around the netherstation has been taken by now.

Yeah..for some reason, even my nether gate linked to the nether station...despite it beign really far away from any other nether gate...

I'll try putting a nether gate at the top of the second keep...that should be interesting.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
Not at all the point of what you're saying, but what would glue do to electronics? It doesn't conduct (unless its a really watery one), so the most it would do is jam fans, retain heat and prevent you from opening the case up again. Would a router still work with glue poured into it? Is that what they were testing out?

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
That was me talking to you, I got kicked off a few seconds later.

@Pece : Yeah, Yoko and I have been trying on and off all evening, and the connection has been awful. I'm not sure what your ISP are doing, possibly pouring glue into the routers ;)
i've been yelling at them. basically, they were having some maintenance in my area, its been finished around 6AM my time, and for some reason, something ****ed up and they've had already more than a 100 calls of the same type of problems. I expect it to be solved today, but you never know... -.-

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Not at all the point of what you're saying, but what would glue do to electronics? It doesn't conduct (unless its a really watery one), so the most it would do is jam fans, retain heat and prevent you from opening the case up again. Would a router still work with glue poured into it? Is that what they were testing out?

It's a holdover from before digital technology was widespread to be honest, pouring glue into mechanical stuff would make it jam up and run really badly, I'm just showing my age ;)

Edit: Seems to be running much better now....
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 02:52:06 am by Flipside »

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter

It's a holdover from before digital technology was widespread to be honest, pouring glue into mechanical stuff would make it jam up and run really badly, I'm just showing my age ;)

Edit: Seems to be running much better now....
let us hope so. report if anything acts up, and i'll go yell at them some more.

[edit]
this is the latest.

compared to previous 1500+ for ping a 3000+ for jitter...

Offline -Sara-

Right I edited the railroad from Fenris-Trashpire. It now loops and stops at both ends with a button to continue. It also stops at the catacombs, an almost 2000 metres tunnel of about 20x20. Don't randomly go wreck things there (no TNT either!) and don't throw torches all around, or I'll hide the entrance as fast as I gifted access to the server. :) WARNING: The hatch to the catacombs is one-way only, it goes down. To go up one needs a password, can walk it all the way through to either one of the not-yet-so-clear exits or /warp and /home to a waypoint. Soon there'll be a huge nether-gate, unpreceded by any previous endeavours to reach a different station than the Kastra-built one. It should offer a new nether area to harvest glowstone etc from, given that fortunately placed glowstone around the netherstation has been taken by now.

Yeah..for some reason, even my nether gate linked to the nether station...despite it beign really far away from any other nether gate...

I'll try putting a nether gate at the top of the second keep...that should be interesting.

8 blocks in the normal world equal only 1 block in the nether. If your keep is a whopping 800 blocks away it's a mere 100 in the nether.

Theoretically if you make a nether minecart trail in miniature of the real one facing the same way you could cross the whole map in 30 seconds. Kastra used this to make some hyperfast transportation.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I know the distances in Nether.

I still can't see how my portal linked to the exact same place....unless all overworld portals withing 500 blocks will always link to the same place.

Thwre is literally no other portal for 2-3 chunks around mine.

EDIt:
After reading a bit on the wiki, the overwolrd distannce between portal has to be 1024 blocks if you dont' want them to link to the same netherworld portal...that's just..daft.

Ah..but there is a way around it it seems...if someone were to temporarily deactivate the Netwerworld station portal, thta would force a creation of a new portal when someoen passes trough mine. then re-activate the Nether station portal.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 04:12:23 am by TrashMan »

Offline -Sara-

I know the distances in Nether.

I still can't see how my portal linked to the exact same place....unless all overworld portals withing 500 blocks will always link to the same place.

Thwre is literally no other portal for 2-3 chunks around mine.

EDIt:
After reading a bit on the wiki, the overwolrd distannce between portal has to be 1024 blocks if yo udotn' want them to link to the same netherworld portal...that's just..daft

was going to tell you that but you found out already :)

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Easiest way to deactivate a portal that I've seen so far is to put water so it flows through the portal. Just remember to have flint & steel with you to relight it when the time comes.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline -Sara-

I'm going to try using lava and water to make an on-off switch today on a portal.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I'm going to try using lava and water to make an on-off switch today on a portal.

I was contemplating that myself last night while falling asleep. :p "Y'know," I thought, "Sara should try to make a portal that you can switch on and off using water and lava." :p
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline -Sara-

You also want to give me all your diamond and gold. :P Maybe it works too...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 07:54:28 am by -Sara- »

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Can I ask who built the mob trap/grinder at the Fenris station? Would they be able to teach me how to make them/point me in the direction of a tutorial/diagram?
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Water dissapears in the Nether. how do oyu deactiveate a portal o nthe Nether side wiht it? You have to break the obsidian.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
TNT may be capable of blowing it out.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline -Sara-

Problem is if too many mobtrabs are in the world, no other spawns may occur.

Offline -Sara-

Water dissapears in the Nether. how do oyu deactiveate a portal o nthe Nether side wiht it? You have to break the obsidian.

Lava IN the portal breaks it too. As would a piston pushing a block in and out. Or a piston moving obsidian if that is possible.