Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 576971 times)

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
What's with someone changing Fenris station and knocking out the mob grinder without any announcement at all? And the locked chests? If Qaz or RHX or so decided, fine, my appologies for ranting. But I get a distinct feel that again a non-mod person (won't name them until I can confirm it) is voicing their own thoughts and labeling them as if it's the entire server's thoughts. It's getting a bit tiring if it's who I think it is, talk a bit about you do it or post a message up front. The station improved, but the grinder, unmarked passworded chests and other chests being now unlabled is unnerfing. Adding a hatch, extra layer which doesn't change the buildings purpose/function I understand but it's been a few times that someone randomly had a streak of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, seemingly forgot to take their lithium tablets and went all "but it's not alligned" closing off walls or corners which were there for a reason (easy access etc). Fenris station isn't the only thing that got suddenly rearranged.

Again, sorry if it's a mod decision, then it's up to them, but it's not been the first time someone, anyone, changes a public used venue because they think something is valid or a good reason with a lot of people who also use the venue being hampered by such changes.

Me and Kyad did this. The locked chests are due to the rampant theft at the Fenris station, and the "expansion" just seems long overdue. If you want to get into the chests, and use the supplies ONLY for the Fenris, contact me or Kyad for the password. The vast majority of the material in those chests came from my personal stores. Check the Fenris thread for more.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline -Sara-

Please announce a link to the Fenris thread here in advance next time. :) It'd ease up things. Have restored the grinder for now due to great demand. It's up to a mod if they prefer it shut down again. It seems the main argument is it reduces mob spawning elsewhere.

In meanwhile may soon set up the 'armoury/storehouse' as I planned for a while, a stuff with large food supplies and shared resources to reduce the presure on Fenris station for filling this role.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 01:07:00 pm by -Sara- »
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Update!

If you people want color and decals, then it may be added later. If you want them now, you may blame notch for making wool collecting such a pain.

EDIT: that last screenshot didnt look so good, heres a new one!
EDIT2: for accuracy
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 07:25:25 pm by KyadCK »
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline -Sara-

Wool and dye was shipped to the Trashman chests long ago by me and some others after the griever kept ruining and taking things weeks ago. Previously a lot of glass, things like gunpowder and bone and stuff like redstone went missing, after which it was shipped about. It should still be there.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Hey Rhx/qaz, what's the latest with the dynmap working? I'd love to be able to chat with people... *sniffle*
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Sara, you better check those chests. Last time I checked, there really wasn't that much wool in there.
I really don't want to lock the storage, s I want people to use it, but may the vault might be a better place for items you don't want nabbed.

Also, regarding my wall.. Some people have been asking questions, so here's a quick summary:

- just because something is inside the wall perimiter, it isn't mine. People are free to build anywhere. In fact, I encourage people to build within my walls - I even give them materials to do so. They can build on either side of the wall as they wish...Technicly, they can even use the wall as one side of their house/structure

- the dirt outline for the wall has been in place for a while. If you look a bit back in this topic, you'll see me announcing it two times and asking for feedback/problems. I received no complants until now. I tried to move the wall as far away from others peoples holdings. If anyone has a problem with where the wall is going, give me a yell. I'll see if I can re-route it. Can't give any guaraantees, as people have been building everywhere lately, and I see structure popping out that I dont' recall were there. Or maybe it's just my faulty memory :P

- if you find the wall blocking your path, feel free to dig beneath or make a gate trough it. I was planing to make a few gates aynway, but due to the way I build it and some time constraints, I kept pushing it back. I will make well-marked some passages within the nest few days.

- a two-way railway will go on top of the wall (If i manage to gather enough iron). The wall should connect the town with the lava falls, BF's domes, sandwiches place, the chinese temple and few more places whose creators I can't recall ATM. I'm sorry this takes so long, but I have been having less time for MC and have been helping some other people out and working a bit on the Fenris...and the kingdom really is a BIG project. Bigger than Fenris.. and I'm just one guy.

- lastly, some people have complaining it blocks their view of the hill/mountain/trees/lake. I don't want to sound cynical, but...so? Every structure built blocks something. And MC is full of trees and lakes and valleys. Infinately so. There is only one great wall. There are hunderds of valleys and lakes.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Instead of a bunch of protected chests, how about a password-protected door to a bedrock room with the valuables in open chests?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
People can leave doors open accidentally, besides, you can lag-click through doors and open chests.
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline achtung

• ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Sara, you better check those chests. Last time I checked, there really wasn't that much wool in there.
I really don't want to lock the storage, s I want people to use it, but may the vault might be a better place for items you don't want nabbed.

Also, regarding my wall.. Some people have been asking questions, so here's a quick summary:

- just because something is inside the wall perimiter, it isn't mine. People are free to build anywhere. In fact, I encourage people to build within my walls - I even give them materials to do so. They can build on either side of the wall as they wish...Technicly, they can even use the wall as one side of their house/structure

- the dirt outline for the wall has been in place for a while. If you look a bit back in this topic, you'll see me announcing it two times and asking for feedback/problems. I received no complants until now. I tried to move the wall as far away from others peoples holdings. If anyone has a problem with where the wall is going, give me a yell. I'll see if I can re-route it. Can't give any guaraantees, as people have been building everywhere lately, and I see structure popping out that I dont' recall were there. Or maybe it's just my faulty memory :P

- if you find the wall blocking your path, feel free to dig beneath or make a gate trough it. I was planing to make a few gates aynway, but due to the way I build it and some time constraints, I kept pushing it back. I will make well-marked some passages within the nest few days.

- a two-way railway will go on top of the wall (If i manage to gather enough iron). The wall should connect the town with the lava falls, BF's domes, sandwiches place, the chinese temple and few more places whose creators I can't recall ATM. I'm sorry this takes so long, but I have been having less time for MC and have been helping some other people out and working a bit on the Fenris...and the kingdom really is a BIG project. Bigger than Fenris.. and I'm just one guy.

- lastly, some people have complaining it blocks their view of the hill/mountain/trees/lake. I don't want to sound cynical, but...so? Every structure built blocks something. And MC is full of trees and lakes and valleys. Infinately so. There is only one great wall. There are hunderds of valleys and lakes.

-Just because you can build a wall, doesn't mean everyone wants to be within it.

-Nobody notices a dirt outline up in the air. I was lucky to notice it when you started trying to run around town.

-I shouldn't have to worry about a senseless wall blocking my path. What if I want to build at a point you've ran your wall through?

-You can build a railway without building the wall.

-So? You do understand that you are playing with other people on this server, and you have to respect the wishes of others. Everyone is perfectly fine with you building within your "kingdom" to the west of town, or maybe even southward. Your walls stretch from the surface to the highest point you can get them, and they are hideous. They're pockmarked because of the method you use to make them.

Your wall is pointless, ugly, and uncreative. Stop trying to defend a bad idea because we've let you run with it for this long.
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
3 gates built into the wall. More on their way.

-Just because you can build a wall, doesn't mean everyone wants to be within it.

Well, I might not want to be next to anything you built. Deal with it.

-Nobody notices a dirt outline up in the air. I was lucky to notice it when you started trying to run around town.

Then you're blind. It's very clear and very visible.

-I shouldn't have to worry about a senseless wall blocking my path. What if I want to build at a point you've ran your wall through?

What if I want to build where your house is?

-You can build a railway without building the wall.

2 for the price of 1.

-So? You do understand that you are playing with other people on this server, and you have to respect the wishes of others. Everyone is perfectly fine with you building within your "kingdom" to the west of town, or maybe even southward. Your walls stretch from the surface to the highest point you can get them, and they are hideous. They're pockmarked because of the method you use to make them.

Lava+water is perfectly valid method of building - just as much as cobblestone generators, which everyone seems to use.
Also, the server is practicly infinite when it comes to area. There's no lack of places to build.

Your wall is pointless, ugly, and uncreative. Stop trying to defend a bad idea because we've let you run with it for this long.

You face is pointelss, ugly and uncreative.
Plenty of people seem to like it. I spent month working on it, and now you suddenly decide you don't like it and it has to go??

Respectfully Sir, go f*** yourself with a chainsword.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 10:27:44 am by TrashMan »
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
quit gettin' mad at video games

also sad when I can't help build the fenris because the one weekend I was home and able to play, I realize all of the equipment got locked up. :(

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
I was never a big fan of it, but I thought that was just me.
Apparently not.
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Guys, calm down, (a) as Sizzler says, it's a game, and (b) Personal attacks are only going to get you into trouble.

Also, shouldn't this discussion be taking place in the Fenris specific thread?

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Nope. As far as I can tell it's not about the Fenris but rather Trashman's castle walls.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
So we should have a wall thread. :P
Or not.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Nope. As far as I can tell it's not about the Fenris but rather Trashman's castle walls.

I'm talking about that part above regarding resources/organisation for doing the actual building.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Maaaaaaybe, this thread is kinda crowded. Instead of just Minecraft Beta we should perhaps have separate sever threads and then another thread for general Minecraft. 

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
Crowded thread best thread!
Also, I built a pretty neat cart-station thing for material transportation

Offline achtung

• ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
snip

-This isn't "next to." I'm perfectly fine with trashmania being near my leaning tower, and within view of my house. You are trying to encapsulate a large part of the server behind your walls.

-It's very clear and very visible if I'm looking in the sky for 1x1 dirt line, which sometimes passes along the tops of, and behind, hills.. Which I don't go around doing. I also had no idea what those lines were until you were encroaching on town with them.

-My house serves a purpose beyond just existing. I use it to store items, and build things. It is not grossly oversized. The places I make cover a very small portion of the map, your walls cover huge swaths.

-Your wall has an indirect cost placed on everyone else. Your walls don't seem to run in any sane direction for a rail (aka no direct destinations). It's funny how I've only heard about your rail now that the purpose/value of your wall is being brought into question.

-You're absolutely correct; the server is practically infinite! Now go build your walls into that infinite space, AWAY from everyone else's stuff. :) There's a huge area to the south of trashmania with practically nothing there.

-Thanks for the petty insult. Hope you feel better about yourself.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 07:29:46 pm by Swantz »

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Maaaaaaybe, this thread is kinda crowded. Instead of just Minecraft Beta we should perhaps have separate sever threads and then another thread for general Minecraft. 

It might be a good idea, but I'll see how the Admin feel about 3 threads on more or less the same subject. It's one of those awkward situations where it's too small for a subforum, but a bit too big for a thread ;)