Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 576205 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Go ahead and split it up whatever you want; I already did that to create the Fenris thread to begin with, and don't particularly feel like doing it again. :p
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
:lol: I'll do it tomorrow, it's a bit early in the morning right now ;)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
What timezone are you in?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
GMT, it's about 4am here.

Insomnia, it's a ***** :(

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
GMT, it's about 4am here.

Insomnia, it's a ***** :(
insomnia or minecraft? :p
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
A bit of both. I can't sleep, so I play Minecraft, meaning I don't sleep. Rinse and repeat ;)

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
A bit of both. I can't sleep, so I play Minecraft, meaning I don't sleep. Rinse and repeat ;)
xD
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

-This isn't "next to." I'm perfectly fine with trashmania being near my leaning tower, and within view of my house. You are trying to encapsulate a large part of the server behind your walls.

The wall stops near your tower. I'm not even sure if it's within viewing distance - IIRC, it's 2 chucnks out.
So no fear your leaning tower getting encapulated.

-It's very clear and very visible if I'm looking in the sky for 1x1 dirt line, which sometimes passes along the tops of, and behind, hills.. Which I don't go around doing. I also had no idea what those lines were until you were encroaching on town with them.

2 lines actually.. but yes, visible enough. Even moreso when I keep telling people about it - both on the forums and in the game.
If you had no idea what they were, then it's your own fault for not paying any attention and not caring.

-My house serves a purpose beyond just existing. I use it to store items, and build things. It is not grossly oversized. The places I make cover a very small portion of the map, your walls cover huge swaths.

So what? The server is a hunderd times bigger. The wall itself is thin, so if you're talking volume, it's a like 2x Fenris. And how much space does all you make combined take? How many building you have? You cna't live in all of them. By that logic, everyone should only be allowed 1 house and nothing but railroads shoudl exist. Because everyything else is "just existing".

-Your wall has an indirect cost placed on everyone else. Your walls don't seem to run in any sane direction for a rail (aka no direct destinations). It's funny how I've only heard about your rail now that the purpose/value of your wall is being brought into question.

Oh, I've been planing the rail for a long time...as soon as I notices it's thick enough to take a two-way railline. Ask Sara if you don't belive me.

And it doesn't go in a straight line, but it does make a large half circle (and I plan to connect the half circle ends with a undergroudn rail, thus making a full circle)

-You're absolutely correct; the server is practically infinite! Now go build your walls into that infinite space, AWAY from everyone else's stuff. :) There's a huge area to the south of trashmania with practically nothing there.

When I stated Trashmania, there was nothing near i t(except Bf's doem and sandwichs place). So yes, I did go out to build, but thing caught up with me.
And FYI, I did also go explore beyond the 10K point, and found a nice place, but the game becase unstable. Either way, I already invested a crapton of time and effort into this.

If you want privacy, there is always the option for you to move....

-Thanks for the petty insult. Hope you feel better about yourself.

I do actually.. If you insist to insult me and my work, I won't hold back.
Why don't you go and tell the Chinese that their Great Wall was ugly and crap while your'e at it?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline crizza

Think you're the one over reacting Trashman...and the one starting to get personal, if I'm not mistaken...

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Why don't you go and tell the Chinese that their Great Wall was ugly and crap while your'e at it?

Let's compare.

Your wall:

Great Wall:

One is oversized and hideous, the other is smaller, and flows naturally with its environment. I find the Great Wall quite acceptable.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Because curves are ez-pz in Minecraft. :P
I think the wall would be better off as a square with straight edges on all four sides, trying to mimick the Wall of China in Minecraft would probably lead to the wall looking rather atrocious.

Offline -Sara-

Been stuck in that loop for years. :P  :no: No goody!

I think the wall would be better off as a square with straight edges on all four sides, trying to mimick the Wall of China in Minecraft would probably lead to the wall looking rather atrocious.

Or.. you adapt to or choose the landscape so that the hills are less steep, like the Chinese. Point is, some people find it visual polution, like dropping 500 windmills in one of the Swiss Alps valleys. It's not nice to be told something is unwelcome while you're proud of it as Trash is now, but unfortunately the server is shared with many and some settlement/compensation approach is usually required.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline achtung

• ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
like dropping 500 windmills in one of the Swiss Alps valleys

Windmills serve a realistic purpose though. :)
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)

Or.. you adapt to or choose the landscape so that the hills are less steep, like the Chinese. Point is, some people find it visual polution, like dropping 500 windmills in one of the Swiss Alps valleys. It's not nice to be told something is unwelcome while you're proud of it as Trash is now, but unfortunately the server is shared with many and some settlement/compensation approach is usually required.

Of course, the server will probably have to be rebooted following 1.8 and 1.9s releases, anyway
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Mura

• Shadow lurker
The wall is indeed a big bother, me and iaz were traveling FAR for privacy and stuff to not build around where it was already built (somewhere around the x:4000) mark and then we found this huuuuge stupid wall in the way, we didn't break through cuz that would have been griefing, we had to walk a lot to find a way around, at least make it on pilars instead of a gigantic WALL that doesn't let things pass.
Signed, me

Offline -Sara-

Of course, the server will probably have to be rebooted following 1.8 and 1.9s releases, anyway

No, newly discovered land will spawn according to 1.8 code while already discovered land stays the same. Perhaps the mods can remove the discovered land way out from where people have built. Say, a 5000 x 5000 space around x0 , z0. If Notch'd force a reboot he'd cut his sales, people may quit MC if they got to start all over.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
To be fair he didn't say Notch was forcing a reboot.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)

No, newly discovered land will spawn according to 1.8 code while already discovered land stays the same. Perhaps the mods can remove the discovered land way out from where people have built. Say, a 5000 x 5000 space around x0 , z0. If Notch'd force a reboot he'd cut his sales, people may quit MC if they got to start all over.

I very much doubt it, it's not the first time we've had to reboot our maps entirely.

He's re-written the chunk generation code again, and iirc, he has explicitly stated that old maps will not be compatible with the new ones. I believe he's left contingencies where you can use old maps, but get none of the new features. Facepunch's minecraft section is always a good place to ask, though.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline achtung

• ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
If we get 512 height in 1.8, I'm fine with old maps being broken.

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
If we get 512 height in 1.8, I'm fine with old maps being broken.

We get the ability to easily mod it to such, at least, although he warns that the chunk generator might have some interesting results with a height it was never programmed for.

<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp