Author Topic: RELEASE: wxLauncher 0.10.1 beta [Updated 2015/09/26]  (Read 670846 times)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: RELEASE: wxLauncher 0.9.1 public alpha [Updated 2012/07/13]
Antipodes builds, Trunk builds, BP builds, RC builds... all with different flags and requirements. It's a good thing wxL is super awesome with profiles and stuff. What was that old launcher? 5.5dontuseitanymore I think it was.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
You mean 5.5worksjustfineifitaintbrokendontfixit ?
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Part of my problem with wxLauncher is that it is huge on screen and dosnt look that good for it.  personally bringing it closer to the look of 5.5 would be a great thumbs up from me.

[attachment deleted by a basterd]
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Wait.. why does the window size matter for something that helps launch a fullscreen game? Wat.

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
With the new 3.6.16RC1 the launcher does not differentiate between the regular and debug version in the selection screen for the FS exe. or the fred exe.  It shows up correctly in the command line but not in the selection screen.
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Wait.. why does the window size matter for something that helps launch a fullscreen game? Wat.
its kind of irrational I know, but I just dont like how big it is
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Yarn

With the Windows launcher, any mods and command-line switches set for the game are also used when FRED is launched. This isn't the case with wxLauncher, so anyone who wants to use FRED but can't use the Windows launcher has to enter the switches manually in a shortcut or at the command line. Is it possible to fix this?
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
With the Windows launcher, any mods and command-line switches set for the game are also used when FRED is launched. This isn't the case with wxLauncher, so anyone who wants to use FRED but can't use the Windows launcher has to enter the switches manually in a shortcut or at the command line. Is it possible to fix this?

Hmm? With wxL you can launch FRED from the launcher. It definitely keeps the command lines that way.

Offline Yarn

Hmm? With wxL you can launch FRED from the launcher. It definitely keeps the command lines that way.
WxLauncher didn't have a field for FRED, so I assumed that it didn't support launching FRED. I searched the manual a few minutes ago and found out how to make it launch FRED.

Why is FRED execution disabled by default, anyway?
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter

That's news to me.. but if that is the case it should definitely be changed. What a great way to encourage people not to FRED.. :(

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:

That's news to me.. but if that is the case it should definitely be changed. What a great way to encourage people not to FRED.. :(
Mostly because it was a ninja feature by me (at the request of a particular FREDer) and it just never was promoted to a proper feature.  However, the current thought process is that in a effort to reduce clutter and confusion in the interface (which we do get complaints about) the FRED launch button along with other future modding tools are hidden by default.  The current method of editing a config file to enable it however will go once I have time to write a proper interface for it.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline Luis Dias

its kind of irrational I know, but I just dont like how big it is

I do. It has the correct size for the amount of information within each of its windows.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
That's not worth much if it has too much information within each of its windows, though.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Luis Dias

It doesn't. Each tab has the correct amount of information without it being crammed like the old one (which *was* crammed). Also I don't get this criticism at all. The last adjective I'd remember to call wxlauncher was "BIG".

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Given that I can't even get wxLauncher to be fully visible on my netbook (which can run FS2_Open), it's too big. When bits of the UI are not even visible in a resolution FS2_Open can actually run, then it's way too big.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Luis Dias

The windows box is 655x715 pixels. I'd guess your netbook screen is a 1024x600 pixels (which is a crime in itself). Well, if considering netbooks is a thing that should be done, then I see your point. I also see where one could cull 150 pixels (counting with the bar pixels...), although that would be detrimental to everyone else that would experience an app that is way smaller than it could be given their screens with 1024 pixel height (and usually with nineteen hundred pixels in horizontal). A funny thing about wxlauncher is that it has a resize corner, but then it doesn't resize at all :D.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Hahaha wtf. "Is not!" "Is too!"

:welcome:
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Luis Dias

dafuq red. If it's a problem for people then I agree with Kara, although personally and egotistically I don't like the idea of a smaller wxlauncher.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Hahaha wtf. "Is not!" "Is too!"

:welcome:

I lol'd.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

I'm thinking a landscape layout would solve the issue without further compressing the launcher's contents. I doubt that anyone plays FS on a portrait resolution - and then still, they can at least drag the window left-to-right to see everything.

Alternatively, an extra tab. Redistributing advanced settings. The other three tabs could probably shrink a little without becoming cramped.

Or (third option), from Advanced Settings, remove the Flag Sets (unless anyone would miss it?) and shrink the checkbox list. This would probably be the easiest option, if also the least desirable from a design/functionality point of view.

Anyway, just tossing ideas around.