Author Topic: RELEASE: wxLauncher 0.10.1 beta [Updated 2015/09/26]  (Read 670868 times)

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
Re: RELEASE: wxLauncher 0.9.1 public alpha [Updated 2012/07/13]
Until there is a .deb package i will continue not installing it on the system and i'll keep using it from a folder in my home directory.
Okay. .debs are being worked on.
Thank you :)

i also find the separation of logs and actually useful **** for debugging from the main executable's location.
This does not parse.  Please elaborate.
derp. i meant to say that i dislike the fact that fso stores stuff like pilots, logs and such into .fs2_open instead of in the directory where the executable and the rest of the important stuff is.
Yes, that does make sense if the game is installed into /usr/games or whatever, which isnt user-writeable. I havent seen anyone say that they installed the game like that on linux so far, and if memory serves, the proper "tutorial" on the wiki is basically "save into whichever folder you want(which, for most people is /home/<username>/whatever ), plonk the exec there, have fun with launching the game"

also, i do not know if its been requested already, but a box for manual resolution entry in the launcher would be swell :)

i might investigate into ways of installing it like that (other than the manual file-nudgery) and see how fso behaves. but that comes later.
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
i also find the separation of logs and actually useful **** for debugging from the main executable's location.
derp. i meant to say that i dislike the fact that fso stores stuff like pilots, logs and such into .fs2_open instead of in the directory where the executable and the rest of the important stuff is.
Yes, that does make sense if the game is installed into /usr/games or whatever, which isnt user-writeable. I havent seen anyone say that they installed the game like that on linux so far, and if memory serves, the proper "tutorial" on the wiki is basically "save into whichever folder you want(which, for most people is /home/<username>/whatever ), plonk the exec there, have fun with launching the game"
Not that what FSO does has any bearing on what FSO does, but nevertheless we will (at some point) be doing a "portable" mode for wxLauncher because it has been requested by several people.

I should note however, where you install FSO has no bearing on where wxLauncher should be installed.  We don't suggest installing wxLauncher in the same directory as FSO.  Instead wxLauncher should be installed as a separate application.

also, i do not know if its been requested already, but a box for manual resolution entry in the launcher would be swell :)
No it has not been requested.  But I don't see us adding that feature either because the resolutions that we list are requested from the video hardware/software.  If a resolution is not in the list then it is probably not a resolution that you want to use anyway.

Having said that, you can probably edit profile or set your resolution manually on the custom flags.  The flag is -res <width>x<height> IIRC and it will override the resolution set by wxLauncher via the other mechanism.

i might investigate into ways of installing it like that (other than the manual file-nudgery) and see how fso behaves. but that comes later.
Okay, well let us know how it goes.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
No it has not been requested.  But I don't see us adding that feature either because the resolutions that we list are requested from the video hardware/software.  If a resolution is not in the list then it is probably not a resolution that you want to use anyway.

At least one boneheaded version of the nVidia Linux drivers has a very minimal set of supported resolutions (i.e. 7) which doesn't include my standard res for a 16:10 window (1440x900) - in fact the only widescreen res was fullscreen  :nono:

Having said that, you can probably edit profile or set your resolution manually on the custom flags.  The flag is -res <width>x<height> IIRC and it will override the resolution set by wxLauncher via the other mechanism.

If you manually edit the profile file will the next change you make to the profile overwrite your change? 

Thanks for the tip about the -res flag, I'll have to try it out.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
If you manually edit the profile file will the next change you make to the profile overwrite your change? 
I don't remember the details, but I don't think we will overwrite what is in the internal pro?????.ini file unless you touch the corresponding control.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
Not that what FSO does has any bearing on what FSO does, but nevertheless we will (at some point) be doing a "portable" mode for wxLauncher because it has been requested by several people.

I should note however, where you install FSO has no bearing on where wxLauncher should be installed.  We don't suggest installing wxLauncher in the same directory as FSO.  Instead wxLauncher should be installed as a separate application.

of course, i wasnt implying i installed it in the same folder as FSO, just a wish to keep it all contained within a single folder. no worries there as i know nothing will change there on the FSO side.

At least one boneheaded version of the nVidia Linux drivers has a very minimal set of supported resolutions (i.e. 7) which doesn't include my standard res for a 16:10 window (1440x900) - in fact the only widescreen res was fullscreen  :nono:
oh its even better on my end. i'm running a dual-screen setup. twinview of course, you know how many resolutions i have? One., 3200x1080, because 1920x1080 + 1280x1024
I had to define an additional metamode just to keep applications from fullscreening to both monitors, and then i always lose the secondary monitor for the time the fullscreen app is running, due to the way the metamode is set up. I havent found a solution yet, but i also havent searched that much for it either.

those suggesting nouveau/gallium will be shot dead.

Thanks for the tip about the -res flag, I'll have to try it out.
thank you for that. i always forget about that flag -.- (mighty useful when trying to run windowed)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 10:36:45 pm by pecenipicek »
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
The launcher only reads from the profile files on startup. It won't notice any changes you make to the files while the launcher is running. It only looks for profile changes made in the launcher through the controls, and the only points where it would save those changes to the file is on profile switch, profile creation, and launcher exit. If the "Automatically save profiles" checkbox is checked, then any changes will be automatically saved; if it's not checked, then a pop-up dialog will appear asking if you want to save changes, if there are any.

The global profile (global.ini) which includes things like the most recently retrieved highlights (if any), the last used profile, etc. is always saved on launcher exit. Thus, any changes to global.ini while the launcher is running will be overwritten when the launcher exits.

Hope that clarifies things.

EDIT: Correction.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 10:59:40 pm by jg18 »

What a fantastic program! As a linux user, thank you very much for working on this. I can't believe how beautiful it looks on my system.

Just one question: Is it possible to compile the launcher so that it looks for the resources directory by relative pathing, rather than absolute? It's a pain having to recompile it if I just want to change where I'm storing it...
Thank you.

The short answer is no. There is no way to do that at this time, however I don't really understand the reason for the question.  How/why does the resources directory need to be changed from the directory in /usr?

Mostly because I'd like to install the program in my home directory, where it will be preserved if I reformat the operating system. If I compile it to be in /usr, I have to reinstall the launcher every time I upgrade my OS. I was able to change the install directory, but now the launcher fails if I try to give it to someone else with a different username, and they have to recompile it.

It's really a very small issue, and nothing that a quick recompile can't solve. Thanks again for writing this awesome program.

Re: [Updated 2011/08/25] RELEASE: wxLauncher 0.8.0 public alpha (OS X 0.8.1)
[Thread necro'ing; sry]

The 0.8.0 sources refuse to "Make" on ArchLinux.

Code: [Select]
File "scripts/onlinehelpmaker.py", line 17
    print "ERROR: Unable to import markdown the markup parser."
                                                                                                    ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/helpmaker] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/helpmaker.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Any ideas?
I've got the required dependancies installed and the sources cmake without errors.

To my fellow Archers out there, I found a solution to this problem.  If you're like me you have both python and python2 installed.  As stated the build will only work with python2, but the cmake files are looking for python 3.  Edit CMakeCache.txt and replace /usr/bin/python with /usr/bin/python2.  After that the build worked great

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Noted a possible bug, but it could just be my side. When using text-to-speech on the Windows-only launchers, the drop-down list shows the correct order. However, when I use the wxLauncher's text-to-speech drop-down list and select the one I want, it plays another voice instead. I believe the drop-down list's voice name is shifted down, but it may in fact be random.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
To my fellow Archers out there, I found a solution to this problem.  If you're like me you have both python and python2 installed.  As stated the build will only work with python2, but the cmake files are looking for python 3.  Edit CMakeCache.txt and replace /usr/bin/python with /usr/bin/python2.  After that the build worked great

You can select which Python executable to use by typing
-D PYTHON_EXECUTABLE=<name of python 2 command>
as part of the arguments to CMake.

Noted a possible bug, but it could just be my side. When using text-to-speech on the Windows-only launchers, the drop-down list shows the correct order. However, when I use the wxLauncher's text-to-speech drop-down list and select the one I want, it plays another voice instead. I believe the drop-down list's voice name is shifted down, but it may in fact be random.

I'll need to look into this and get back to you. Thanks for reporting it.

EDIT: This issue has been confirmed and fixed in trunk. Thanks again for reporting it.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 05:13:35 pm by jg18 »

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Awesome! Thanks for the confirmation.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Hey,
I'm currently on makeing the files (profile + mod.ini with all the [launcher]/[skin]-lines) required for an easy set up of TBP with the wxLauncher ...

Is there an easy solution for installing a new profile without sending the users running through their files? (took me a while to find the profile file myself)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I'll talk you through what Diaspora does.

1)  I created a profile

[main]
name=Diaspora
filename=pro00099.ini
initialized=1
[lighting]
preset=BaselineRecommended
[network]
ip=
port=0
speed=None
type=None
[speech]
inbriefings=0
ingame=0
inmulti=0
intechroom=0
voice=0
volume=100
[tc]
currentbinary=fs2_open_Diaspora_R1.exe
currentmod=(No mod)
currentmodline=
flags=-post_process -soft_particles -fxaa -cache_bitmaps -snd_preload -ship_choice_3d -weapon_choice_3d -warp_flash
folder=C:\\Games\\Diaspora
[video]
depth=32
height=768
texturefilter=Trilinear
width=1024

2) I have the installer alter the profile's "folder" option to reflect where the user has chosen to install to.
3) I call the launcher twice to install the profile and to make the profile the default.

wxLauncher\bin\wxlauncher.exe --add-profile --profile=Diaspora --file=[profile filename]
wxLauncher\bin\wxlauncher.exe --select-profile --profile=Diaspora (you set that name in the profile itself)

To do all that requires that you have the latest version of wxLauncher (0.9.2), which is the version Diaspora uses and isn't publicly released as yet. But if you chat with Iss or jg18 I'm sure they'll help you.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
One recommendation about the profile Karajorma posted: I'd recommend leaving the "height" and "width" entries out, so that the launcher will auto-detect the player's native resolution, which is assumed to be the highest resolution that their display supports.

Beyond that, I'll need to look at this more carefully after I've had some more sleep. :)

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
wxLauncher\bin\wxlauncher.exe --select-profile --profile=Diaspora (you set that name in the profile itself)
Actually profiles's is recorded into wxLauncher's database using the name you specify on add. The name in the profile template is ignored.

To do all that requires that you have the latest version of wxLauncher (0.9.2), which is the version Diaspora uses and isn't publicly released as yet. But if you chat with Iss or jg18 I'm sure they'll help you.
Yes, we will have lots of questions.

Q: Should joystick calibration work on Linux? I can't seem to find the button. (Diaspora launcher)

[attachment removed and sold on the black market]

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I was pretty tired yesterday ... seems that came through in my post...

2) I have the installer alter the profile's "folder" option to reflect where the user has chosen to install to.

How?

Yes, we will have lots of questions.

I'll contine working on this on the weekend ... I'll send a PM your way once I'm back on it...
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Q: Should joystick calibration work on Linux? I can't seem to find the button. (Diaspora launcher)
No.  It is intentionally disabled on Linux and OS X because as far (as I can tell) there is no way to calibrate joysticks with SDL.  Now, I honestly doubt this is the actual case, but I have yet to find any documentation on how to do it.

@0rph3u5: Sounds like a plan. I should be around on #scp most of the weekend and am on in the evenings Mountain Time.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

How?

That was the tricky part. Fortunately the installer I used (Inno setup) had a feature built in allowing it to alter ini files. I had to set up a tiny bit of pascal code to alter things to the format that the profile uses but it wasn't too hard in the end.

How things work depends on what installer program you use.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Psst, the Windows installer download link is broken!