Author Topic: Crackling sound  (Read 3634 times)

My sound is always crackling while playing fs2.
I searched through the whole cross-platform forum and tried all solutions for sound problems posted but nothing seems to work.
OS is Ubuntu 7.10, I've got openal installed correctly and I'm using the latest binarys from the cross platform forum link.
I've been playing other games using openal lately and I've not experienced any whatsoever problem.
The problem seems to be alike somehow, but in my case it is just crackling like ALWAYS.
Most times its not really bad but simply annoying, but once in a while its unplayable, making screeching noises.
Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Offline Shade

Might be sound driver related. Would you perchance be using an integrated Realtek AC97 for audio? Those have been known to cause crackling with outdated drivers. In fact, if you were on Windows, I could say with 100% certainty that this was the problem, but I haven't heard of it happening on Linux before. Still, might nonetheless be worth checking if you have the most up to date drivers.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Last resort, you could buy another sound card.

Offline ni1s

I'm also getting this, and I have a SB Live! 5.1 (emu10k1) card.
When playing I use oss emulation(set in ~/.openalrc), as ALSA doesn't work for some reason.
And yeah, I too only see this in fs2_open.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Try the fix listed here, if you haven't already: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,38645.msg863192.html#msg863192

That thread is MVE playback specific, but the option can make a different either way.  It fixes most shuddering/crackling of the audio under Linux.  The problem has more to do with OpenAL version and/or the back-end in use rather than the code/date on our side, which is why it really depends on your system as to whether or not this change is even needed.

Great, the linked post helped   :D
Thank you very much.
I've read about the problem, but I thought I also read about it being fixed since 3.6.9
Well whatever it helped, thanks again.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
A friend of mine fired up 7.10 recently and it's been giving him sound issues too, not just in Freespace but in everything.  Could be partly Ubuntu related.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
I'm using 7.10 as well, without any problems, so I doubt it's just a generic Ubuntu issue.

I'm using 7.10 and it's ok. Do you have openAL installed (as in from the official repositories)?