Author Topic: RPM files for Fedora 16/17?  (Read 3206 times)

Offline adratgg

• "You lit HOW MANY Magnesium Sticks on fire?!"
RPM files for Fedora 16/17?
Hey guys,  I'm new to Linux, especially Fedora, and i noticed you all have .deb files for installation in pretty much everything BUT Fedora. Can anyone make an RPM file i can use to install fs2_open on here instead of having to compile everything myself?
in fraternità,

Adratgg

aka sgt lulz on SCP-Foundation.net

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Re: RPM files for Fedora 16/17?
The only project for which we currently have .deb files available is wxLauncher, and we're currently fixing those files to meet Debian's specifications. The Linux fs2_open download tarball on the FSO release threads just has an FSO binary that might work on some systems (I don't know what the requirements are), but I think it's generally recommended that Linux users either build using the source tarball found on official FSO release threads or build directly from trunk.

What specifically are you having to build yourself? Have you installed the development libraries mentioned in the wiki using yum?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 02:15:31 pm by jg18 »

Offline adratgg

• "You lit HOW MANY Magnesium Sticks on fire?!"
Code: [Select]
freespace2/freespace.cpp:5213:53: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
freespace2/freespace.cpp:5218:38: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
freespace2/freespace.cpp: In function ‘void game_leave_state(int, int)’:
freespace2/freespace.cpp:5564:90: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
freespace2/freespace.cpp:5763:91: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
freespace2/freespace.cpp: In function ‘void game_spew_pof_info()’:
freespace2/freespace.cpp:6883:70: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
freespace2/freespace.cpp:6891:62: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
freespace2/freespace.cpp:6891:62: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
freespace2/freespace.cpp:6905:21: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
freespace2/freespace.cpp:6908:24: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
freespace2/freespace.cpp:6922:29: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
freespace2/freespace.cpp:6945:95: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
freespace2/freespace.cpp: At global scope:
freespace2/freespace.cpp:6960:1: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
freespace2/freespace.cpp:6960:1: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
freespace2/freespace.cpp: In function ‘int game_main(char*)’:
freespace2/freespace.cpp:7056:52: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
freespace2/freespace.cpp:7059:49: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
freespace2/freespace.cpp:7068:48: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
freespace2/freespace.cpp:7090:32: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
freespace2/freespace.cpp: In function ‘void game_feature_disabled_popup()’:
freespace2/freespace.cpp:7951:48: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
freespace2/freespace.cpp:7951:134: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
freespace2/freespace.cpp: In function ‘void game_format_time(fix, char*)’:
freespace2/freespace.cpp:7973:36: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
freespace2/freespace.cpp:7983:31: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
freespace2/freespace.cpp:7986:36: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
freespace2/freespace.cpp: In function ‘int game_do_cd_check_specific(char*, int)’:
freespace2/freespace.cpp:8422:39: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
freespace2/freespace.cpp:8422:81: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
freespace2/freespace.cpp: In function ‘int detect_lang()’:
freespace2/freespace.cpp:8468:57: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
freespace2/freespace.cpp:8473:41: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
freespace2/freespace.cpp: In function ‘void verify_ships_tbl()’:
freespace2/freespace.cpp:8529:42: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
freespace2/freespace.cpp:8529:42: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
freespace2/freespace.cpp:8555:1: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
freespace2/freespace.cpp:8555:1: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
freespace2/freespace.cpp: In function ‘void dcf_shipspew()’:
freespace2/freespace.cpp:8558:42: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
freespace2/freespace.cpp:8558:42: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
freespace2/freespace.cpp:8565:31: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
freespace2/freespace.cpp: In function ‘void verify_weapons_tbl()’:
freespace2/freespace.cpp:8591:44: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
freespace2/freespace.cpp:8591:44: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
freespace2/freespace.cpp:8617:1: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
freespace2/freespace.cpp:8617:1: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
freespace2/freespace.cpp: In function ‘void dcf_wepspew()’:
freespace2/freespace.cpp:8620:44: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
freespace2/freespace.cpp:8620:44: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
freespace2/freespace.cpp:8627:31: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
  CXX    levelpaging.o
freespace2/levelpaging.cpp: In function ‘void level_page_in()’:
freespace2/levelpaging.cpp:38:44: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
freespace2/levelpaging.cpp:41:46: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
freespace2/levelpaging.cpp:43:54: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
  CXXLD  fs2_open_r
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/brett/src/fs2_open/code'
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/brett/src/fs2_open'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/brett/src/fs2_open'

here are some of  the countless warnings and errors I got when i tried to compiled it, and yes, i did download all of those dev libraries. This help any? :/ all of the warnings are pretty much the same type; 'depreceated conversion from string contstant to 'char''
in fraternità,

Adratgg

aka sgt lulz on SCP-Foundation.net

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
I'm not an FSO dev and am not that familiar with the codebase, but I'll take a look. Hopefully an Linux FSO coder can chime in with their opinion at some point.

Are you building from trunk, or from a source tarball? If from trunk, could you type

Code: [Select]
svn up
at the prompt while you're at your fs2_open root-level source directory, to make sure your local copy of the source is up-to-date? After doing that, could you try compiling again?

EDIT: You may have better luck with building from a source tarball, since those have been tested to ensure that they compile. AFAIK, SCP doesn't guarantee that trunk will always be compilable on every platform. The latest release candidate thread (RC6) is here. Look for "Source Code Export".
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 02:32:12 pm by jg18 »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
here are some of  the countless warnings and errors I got when i tried to compiled it, and yes, i did download all of those dev libraries. This help any? :/ all of the warnings are pretty much the same type; 'depreceated conversion from string contstant to 'char''

All I see are nonfatal warnings. Are there actual fatal errors?

And yes, we know our string handling is not exactly safe. Blame the fact that this is a C engine with C++ embellishments for that.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
yeah - compiling on linux gives you heaps and heaps of warning currently (it is on my list of things to fix) - however as long as you don't get any errors during the compile it should run just fine.

edit: creating RPMs (& .debs) for FSO is also something on my "todo" list - I was hoping that I could get this done after 3.6.14 is out - but I'm not making any promises :)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Just fyi, after compiling the binary should be in the code subfolder named 'fs2_open', or maybe fs2_open_r, I forget.  Move it out of there before running 'make clean' or it'll delete that binary too.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

It's actually pretty ... variable.

SVN: fs2_open_INF_r, fs2_open_INF_d
RC6: fs2_open_3.6.14, fs2_open_3.6.14_DEBUG

Also, if you're trying to build 3.6.12, you'll need to specify -ldl in LDFLAGS and deal with the libpng 1.4 to 1.5 bump.