Author Topic: Halo IV  (Read 9444 times)

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Not to mention that it was a DirectX 10 title with, at best, DirectX 8 graphics.

yeah, parts of it literally looked like hand drawn sketches.  the first time i got to one of these areas i spent about 15 minutes trying to troubleshoot before i realized the textures were just THAT bad.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
QTEs are not in and of themselves bad game design.  The problem with QTEs is that for the longest time they were used terribly by designers for bad and/or repetetive purposes.  Hell, ST:R has QTEs in it in a couple places (Engage afterburners to shake off the Shivan, pilot!).

That said, I haven't played it, so I can't say whether the QTEs are actually used intelligently.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
QTEs are not in and of themselves bad game design.  The problem with QTEs is that for the longest time they were used terribly by designers for bad and/or repetetive purposes.  Hell, ST:R has QTEs in it in a couple places (Engage afterburners to shake off the Shivan, pilot!).

That said, I haven't played it, so I can't say whether the QTEs are actually used intelligently.

"Press X to kiss wife"

"No"

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Brother is borrowing this from a friend today, so hopefully I'll get to play through over the weekend/next week.  Really looking forward to finally getting hands on.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I've heard incredibly good press about the singleplayer campaign, far better than I ever would have expected.  The only game I played in the series was the original, and I probably won't play this, but it's good to hear that 343 Studios were able to successfully take over the reins from Bungie.

Offline crizza

Well...got it since yesterday...played two missions and got to say...I'm curios of whats to happen next.
Today, I plucked into windows live and nearly threw my controller into the TV...
gold membership for multiplayer? Are they nuts?!
Wheres the fun of it?
And I still figured out how to start a proper flood game...I want to be swarmed, not run around, find nothing and end the game...Tomorrow I'm taking my gear to a friends house and we'll play 2on2...let's see how that turns out...

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Um, all multiplayer games on X-Box Live require Gold membership to work, unless there's a free multi weekend.  It's been like that since the 360 was released.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
gold membership for multiplayer? Are they nuts?!

Where have you been?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline crizza

One reason why I thought about buying the ps3 back in the days...well, since I'm a lore player I never wanted to play online, just stumbled across this when I went to Halo Waypoint for the Terminals.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
So it arrived in the post yesterday, so far its been pretty great.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Finished campaign. It was better than I expected, and actually had some good emotion. I have a touch of hope for 343's handling of the new series.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Played through the campaign in one sitting earlier today.

Aside from getting really ****ing tired of using the goddamn Light Rifle, I thought it was a pretty excellent story.

Not so great was finding out you need Live Gold in order to do Spartan Ops.  Was hoping it was available to non-Gold members.  Ah well.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Played through the campaign in one sitting earlier today.

Aside from getting really ****ing tired of using the goddamn Light Rifle, I thought it was a pretty excellent story.

Not so great was finding out you need Live Gold in order to do Spartan Ops.  Was hoping it was available to non-Gold members.  Ah well.

Well that's depressing. I hadn't checked yet.

Did you find any of the terminals? They actually add a lot to the story compared to previous ones.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft
The last Halo PC launch was Halo 2 Vista and it was a textbook example of terrible console port. It had terrible sales (mainly because it was launched 2 years and a half later, all the people already interested were playing it on XBL, and Vista was suffering huge bad press). Nothing of that ever encouraged M$ to keep on developing stuff for PC alongside of their shiny flagship console.

Am I the only person that liked Halo 2 Vista? I've never noticed any bugs from crappy porting and the controls were fine. Only reason I didn't play it continuously is because multiplayer was dead within weeks of release. I still play the campaign every so often and find it very enjoyable though.

The only real flaw was just making it vista exclusive, since not many people had it, and those that did were warning everyone away from it (I hated vista too, but H2V made up for it somewhat).
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 09:17:58 am by Grimper »
When Australia burned.

Together since the world began, the madman and the lover.

"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n

Am I the only person that liked Halo 2 Vista? I've never noticed any bugs from crappy porting and the controls were fine.

Nah, I bought it and enjoyed it too. I'd really like to play 3 and ODST as well, but I hate the thought of using a gamepad to shoot. I'll probably do it anyway when I can find a good 360 for super cheap.

Offline crizza

The thing with gold membership for spartan ops sucks, yeah, but since you got 14 days for free, I played the first two episodes and did some of the challenges.
I like the game.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Oh and the sound is absolutely stellar.  I love listening to the sound of UNSC weaponry firing.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Beskargam

• We'z got a nob to lead us boys, wadaful.
Finished the campaign. Was excellent. love the suppressor weapon. The emotional impact from the game was very good. I liked the ending a lot, even if it made me sad. the music was not up to par with the previous titles. but the sound fx were absolutely amazing. the pacing was decent. the game play I think was good? I am undecided about parts of it. I am not sure if it lacked diversity or not. I felt like i was using the same strategy for most of the game. lightrifle the floating sentinel-like things, use suppressor on crawlers and knights. Mixed it up a little bit, but mostly felt the exact same. I played on normal, so I look forward to going back and upping the difficulty and seeing what changed. If I hadn't read the books, I would have no idea what the covenant were doing in this game. there is really no in-game explanation for them being on requiem at all. I miss johnson a lot.

Spoiler:
While the narrative and slow cracking of john as the silent protagonist worked beautifully, there was very little development of any secondary characters. Lasky and Palmer barely had any development at all, so hoping that changes with spartan ops. I was also hoping for more of an "OH ****E its the chief" moment when he met up with the rest of the humans. I like the new uniforms/armor of the UNSC. I think. undecided. also the mammoth. that was stupid. I understand the point of a spotter, but what is the point of not being able to aim and shoot by yourself without one, when you can clearly see the object you are want to shoot, and can probably read it on sensors or something. and why did the flying covenant scarab not finish off the mammoth after slagging its tires? that didn't make sense to me. while I'm on the subject of other ploty things. mantis. why. and what. imo a mech does not fit in line with the halo verse. its a bigger target. put shields on a tank. it was fun, but kinda ridiculous. lastly the death star trenchrun. what. it made sense, but was dumb. I dont get why the master chief is now a master pilot.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
So I'm tempted to get the Collector's Edition, whose main attraction is the addition of Forward Unto Dawn. Worth it?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I managed to find three terminals on my first playthrough.

In order, as near as I can make of it:
Spoiler:
Palmer has a grand total of fifteen minutes of actual screen time (if that) and barely more than that in mission giving your orders.  She really doesn't have time to be developed as a character.  Lasky got the lion's share of his character development in the live action Forward Unto Dawn webseries.

The Lich didn't slag the tires, it disabled the gun, and the Mammoth backed the **** up to avoid getting toasted ther est of the way.  Or possibly the Lich couldn't destroy the Mammoth, just disable it.  Think Plasma Pistol, but "**** you" size.

I personally liked the Mantis.  It's Mjolnir armor XXXL size.

John is good at everything related to combat.  Seriously, that's why he exists.  He can drive scorpions, warthogs, mongeese, ghosts, wraiths, specters, choppers, prowlers, revenants, and can pilot falcons, hornets, banshees, longswords (end of Halo:CE), and obviously Broadswords.