Author Topic: .5 fps with Opengl  (Read 8420 times)

I'll try to ask my lecturers at school about this issue. He has multiple screens, and teaches us OpenGL, so I think he may know about this issue.

Thanks I appreciate that.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Even if you are not SLI'ing the cards, the fact that you have two different families of rads may be the issue. Mixing 6xxx & 7xxx series cards together may work well or not at all but anything other than an 8xxx with the same is asking for problems. Why? Unified Shader Pool and Processing, as well as DX 10 capability. My recommendation: Pick one of them and buy a second one of it.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Would any 8 series card work... could I for example save some money and go with an 8600GT to go with my 8800GTS?... or do I need another 8800GTS? (which I really dont want to do, because they are a horrible deal right now)

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
No, any card with the same chipset should work. What GTS do you have?
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

No, any card with the same chipset should work. What GTS do you have?

Right Now I have:
BFG Tech BFGR88640GTSOC2E GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143092

I bought this to replace my 7600GT...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130085 (Cant go wrong with $60 even if it dose not work)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 05:07:23 pm by x[bodyshot] »

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Yeah. That's a G80 so it should work with the 8600. I think that the newer ones will also.

UPDATE:
I got the 8600GT (I LOVE living near the newegg warehouse  :D). After I installed it, I ran opengl viewer and IT WORKED!, 2200 FPS on the opengl test. so that is good, and I can live with it.

HOWEVER:
Something odd, the opengl viewer was using the 8600GT for rendering and I could not even select the 8800GTS as an option (just like with the 7600GT, only in this case opengl at least works)

This makes me think one of two things:
1) The bottom PCI slot on my mobo has priority because that is where the 7600 and 8600 both were plugged in (I cant put my 8800 there because the card is a BEAST and my Antec case is TINY, stupid wires)

2) The 8800 cant do opengl (I don't have the faintest clue why not)

Regardless, Thanks for everyones help, now I can play without having to disable one of my graphics cards and have all my icon placements RESET.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Glad we could help. That'll be 500$ (j/k)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam

2) The 8800 cant do opengl (I don't have the faintest clue why not)

It can, you disabled the 7600 and ran FSOpen on the 8800, remember?  ;)

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
He means that he can't get it to work.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
So the first (top) slot has the 8800GTS, the second (middle) slot is empty, and the 7600GT then 8600GT are in the third (bottom) slot? Try seating the secondary card into the white slot and the primary card into either blue slot. If I'm right, that should fix the "priority" issue. Also check in the BIOS--there should be a graphics option, based on what to try to initiate first. On single-PCI Express-slot boards, it's usually PCI and PCI Express--for you, it may have individual slots. The top is 1, middle is 2, bottom is 3. 1 & 3 have 16 lanes, 2 has 8 lanes.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.