Author Topic: GPU recommendations for FSO  (Read 2308 times)

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
GPU recommendations for FSO
Goober suggested I post this question here.  My current GPU (8800 Ultra) seems to be on its way out, with periodic crashing and the requirement to underclock it for it to run in a stable manner.  Given that FSO is what I play most often I wanted to solicit an informed opinion on what GPU would be the most appropriate to replace it with. I have a Q9550 CPU with 8 GB of RAM installed.  I figured an nVidia Ti 560 of some sort would be the most logical replacement given the issues I have read about with Radeon boards and FSO.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: GPU recommendations for FSO
Well, not all (or even a majority of) the Radeons cause issues. It's only older models that aren't really supported by the drivers that get shafted, or ones that you can't really buy anymore. A 5k or 6k series card should definitely be OK.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline bloated

I'm dealing with some kind of issue right now with my GTX 460, I was searching for a solution when I noticed this thread.

I played FSO 2 years ago with a Radeon and it worked great and now that I've been dealing with random crashes with the 460 I'm thinking about going back to Radeon.

Offline LHN91

Currently running a Radeon 4870, it's been fairly good with FSO. Before that I ran a Geforce 9800 GT. Also worked fine with FSO. I'd probably get a radeon, but that's at least as much because I'm a bit of an AMD fanboy as it is because of relative quality, but admittedly, historically NVidia has had better openGL support.

Offline Admiral Nelson

Hmm, thanks for the inputs, guys.  I suppose I am still leaning to an nVidia 560Ti.  This 8800 Ultra has worked great for years now, so I'd hope to get something that can last as long.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
I'm still sticking to my 8800 GT (slightly overclocked) and it's running FSO (and Crysis 2 e.g.) like a charm. Gonna buy a complete new machine when the next GPU versions are out.
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

Offline Admiral Nelson

Yeah, if I wasn't worried that this board will give up the ghost entirely I'd wait too.

Offline LHN91

Would have held on to my 9800 GT too had the situation not warranted a swap (Needed a graphics card for a budget build for a friend, and the 4870 was only 50 bucks Canadian used, and was subjectively better than the 9800GT, so I kept the 4870.)

Offline AV8R

Since FSOpen is OpenGL driven (for the most part), has anyone tried using an AMD/ATI FirePro series card? I know they're more for professional use but the OpenGL driver optimizations for these cards far exceeds the "gaming" cards out there (which are more DirectX optimized). I got a FirePro V4800 from a friend who recently bought a new high-end PC (the V4800 came with it). He wanted to put some other nVidia card in the PC so I got his "cast off" (pretty nice - for a cast off).

Anyway, I soon plan build a new Intel "Sandy Bridge" processor-based gaming rig and use this FirePro V4800 as the video card. I'll let everyone know how well it works with FSOpen when I get it all together (should have it done by December).

Specs on the AMD/ATI V4800:

http://www.amd.com/us/products/workstation/graphics/ati-firepro-3d/v4800/Pages/v4800.aspx#2

Don't let FSO be your deciding factor in which graphics card you buy!
FSO is fine with any current generation card from either manufacturer, you wont regret anything past a 58xx or a 480 really.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline AV8R

Don't let FSO be your deciding factor in which graphics card you buy!
FSO is fine with any current generation card from either manufacturer, you wont regret anything past a 58xx or a 480 really.

See my post again - FSOpen was not my deciding factor, a free professional-grade video card was! ;)

Anyway, most of the video games I play are ported to, or can do, OpenGL graphics (I'm partial to older space-combat sims). That's the only reason why I mentioned it. Since I really don't have a lot of DirectX-based games an OpenGL-optimized card like this fits the bill for me (but that's my situation - YMMV).

I was really just curious to see if others have tried FSOpen with a FirePro-based video card, that's all.

I was talking to the OP.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Nohiki

• Graf von Kaffeetrinken
    • Minecraft
I got GTX 560 Ti  and i'm happy with it, just ran BF3 on Ultra without any problem, same as FSO
:::ALSO PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

Offline AV8R

I was talking to the OP.

Wow. Sorry. My bad.