Author Topic: HTL Zeus Completed  (Read 23955 times)

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Right, this started out as a small part of a side project for Goober, but grew into a full HTL job of the Zeus. I think I prefer doing capships, but that said, I'm most of the way through a HTL Valkyrie and Loki, and about halfway through a Centaur and Athena, so I'll probably be finishing those off before going back to the Arcadia. Have a look at this thread on Sectorgame for a few odd screenies. :)

Download - 3 megs

For the newbies, to install it simply extract the files using WinRAR, place the .pof file in Freespace2\mediavps\data\models, the .dds files in Freespace2\mediavps\data\maps and the .ibx file in Freespace2\mediavps\data\cache.

Piccy time!
(Please ignore the slight errors on the glowmaps. They've been fixed since. ;) )

Also, if you use"show ship" in the table entry, you should get a view like this:

However, it's entirely possible it will be a lot different and worse, because the current media VPs (specifically mv_models) have tga AND pcx versions of the old Tercoc01 map, both of which will override this set of new ones.
Note that this new set should be completely backwards compatible with all cockpits done with the old one - I just used the black space on the texture to add parts I needed for the higher detail cockpit. :)

So, DaBrain, would it be possible to make sure the new cockpit maps get into the next media VP set? Thanks. :)

Edit: Updated the newbie instructions.
Edit2: Updated download link to V1.1 (Added insignia)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 03:49:58 am by Vasudan Admiral »
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
VERY nice. Downloading now.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Damn sexy... I've always wanted this... the Valkyrie as well... thank you much.

You, sir, are the winner. :)

Offline BS403

• I'm just sitting in my Cave.
Looks great. can't wait for the Valk.
http://woogleville.myminicity.com/

Homer: Aw, twenty dollars! I wanted a peanut!
Homer's Brain: Twenty dollars can buy many peanuts.
Homer: Explain how.
Homer's Brain: Money can be exchanged for goods and services.
Homer: Woo-hoo!

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooki!

Ok, enough pesterting, this is a top notch job. I envy your dedication.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Right, this started out as a small part of a side project for Goober, but grew into a full HTL job of the Zeus. I think I prefer doing capships, but that said, I'm most of the way through a HTL Valkyrie and Loki, and about halfway through a Centaur and Athena, so I'll probably be finishing those off before going back to the Arcadia.
Very nice, but someone already did the Centaur.  Its available in the Inferno forums.  There was work being done on the Loki and Zeus, but it was just getting cockpits added.  Isn't there already an Athena?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Yes there's already the Athena up at Hades combine

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
TrashMan's Athena for starters... and then there's the Inferno stuff which I consider as HTL, despite being the basic model but with cockpits added. But then again, no harm in having different versions of the same ship...

This has my download. :) (crap, now I hope Woomeister doesn't ditch his CP'd Zeus model... :nervous:)

Whoops, someone beat me to it.
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Trashman made his own version (MKII) and the standard

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey
hi,
i take a lock in FS2, its beautiful, nice work  :yes:.

cant wait for the other models.

Mehrpack
Nobody is Perfect.
attention: this english is dangerours and terrible, runaway so fast you can!

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
IMO Trashman's could do with some improvement...
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
There are less improved HTL models... honestly... I can't even tell the Aten was touched some days.

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Outstanding stuff, VA.  Thanks for all the work.  Can't wait to see the Valkyrie!  :yes:
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
For the newbies, to install it simply extract the files using WinRAR, place the .pof file in \data\models, the .dds files in \data\maps and the .ibx file in \data\cache.
(If Karajorma or someone wise in the ways of mediaVP mod folders has a better set of instructions, let me know and I'll edit it in.)

*winces*

Freespace2\mediavps\data\* please. While FS2_Open wouldn't have problems with the other way it would crash out horribly or give you shards of death if you ever tried to run retail.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Glad peeps are liking it. :) (BTW, let me know of any bugs you find!!! If I don't know about it I can't fix it. :p )

Anyways - about the other fighters, that has to do with the side project I did for Goober. Some of you may remember Galemp's Freespace uglies from here.

Well Goob asked me to convert them to pof, but since I just don't do low poly stuff anymore (I tried! Honest!), I just had to do them up along the way. Only a few of the component fighters/bombers had been already built, so I did the rest myself. I knew about the WIP Loki, Zeus and the Athena, but the first two hadn't been mentioned for years and probably weren't going to.
I took the athena into careful consideration, but decided against using it's still relatively low detail parts because they looked out of place with the rest of the ship once it was done up.

The ships in question? Well I just checked with Goob and they're not secret, so these are they:
Comanche:

http://sectorgame.com/ti-file-dump/VasudanAdmiral/Pics/Uglies/ComanchePic1.jpg
http://sectorgame.com/ti-file-dump/VasudanAdmiral/Pics/Uglies/ComanchePic2.jpg
http://sectorgame.com/ti-file-dump/VasudanAdmiral/Pics/Uglies/ComanchePic3.jpg

Seminole:

http://sectorgame.com/ti-file-dump/VasudanAdmiral/Pics/Uglies/SeminolePic1.jpg
http://sectorgame.com/ti-file-dump/VasudanAdmiral/Pics/Uglies/SeminolePic2.jpg
http://sectorgame.com/ti-file-dump/VasudanAdmiral/Pics/Uglies/SeminolePic3.jpg

Cherokee:

http://sectorgame.com/ti-file-dump/VasudanAdmiral/Pics/Uglies/CherokeePic1.jpg
http://sectorgame.com/ti-file-dump/VasudanAdmiral/Pics/Uglies/CherokeePic2.jpg
http://sectorgame.com/ti-file-dump/VasudanAdmiral/Pics/Uglies/CherokeePic3.jpg

Yurok:

Navajo:

So - ^those are the parts I've done, and aside from the already beautifully done Myrm, Herc, Ursa and Medusa I do intend to complete the ships they came from. Kinda an unusual way to go about HTLing them I know, but it's worked out well thus far. ;)
(Take note of the Athena wing on the Seminole and the cockpit on the Navajo in particular in regards to what I meant about the sticking out too much.)

*winces*

Freespace2\mediavps\data\* please. While FS2_Open wouldn't have problems with the other way it would crash out horribly or give you shards of death if you ever tried to run retail.
Righto. I'll stick that in. I don't actually use that setup myself, since my install is already all over the place and unbelievably messy. ;)

Edit: Changed the download links over to sectorgame from sectorfiles.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 03:16:25 am by Vasudan Admiral »
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
IMO Trashman's could do with some improvement...

It can? :confused:

I got rather fed up with the missing reflects and red lights problem, even with the fixed RAR at HC, so I got around to editing the POF myself (just a simple renaming and copypaste bodge-job really). Now I'm fine with it... :D

Whoops, VA posted when I clickey'd - Man, those things are really weird... machinations. :wtf: On the Comanche, will that cockpit be used on the final HTL Loki, or will a more rounded one be used? I find the squarish one really odd... no offense intended :shaking:

I can probably find a use for those weird craft as pirate designs... :lol:
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
It's not the loki. :p
Well, not totally. The whole concept of uglies is from Star Wars. They're fighters/bombers that have been cobbled together out of pieces (wreckage, spare parts etc) of other fighters.

That cockpit there is from the Centaur - the FS1 support ship, the left gunpod is from the Myrm and the engines from the Valkyrie.
Twisted Infinities

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Can't wait for those to be finished.

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
It's not the loki. :p
Well, not totally. The whole concept of uglies is from Star Wars. They're fighters/bombers that have been cobbled together out of pieces (wreckage, spare parts etc) of other fighters.

That cockpit there is from the Centaur - the FS1 support ship, the left gunpod is from the Myrm and the engines from the Valkyrie.

I know it's not the Loki, was just curious about that odd squarish cockpit. And yep, I remember it from the Centaur. I'm liking the Seminole too - IMO it just needs a couple more... "holes"... on the Athena wing and make it a bomb-carrying interceptor? Like the SB Sha... nevermind, I don't like saying that word. And the Ursa piece is really way too oversized for the Yurok... :nervous: :shaking:

As for your Zeus, no bugs so far in Techroom, but I have yet to fly it. :)

:nervous: :yes:
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares