Author Topic: Model Rotation  (Read 3483 times)

Offline Fozzy

• Wokka wokka wokka!
  • Wanabe A Mighty Modder
    • Fozzy's Myspace
I was wondering if it was possable to get a submodel to rotate along ia given axis for 70 degree then stop.

then continualy rotate along a diffrent axis.

(like when a saterlite launches into space)
The Terran VolksWagen Project - Lol
"that was a little too close, we gota wait fifteen mins to change our shorts" = (snipes, FS2)
I can whoop your ass with my LOGITECH

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
This could probably be done by having two submodels (one very small or hidden or something?).

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Hmm... Should be... only problematic part may (or may not) be the continuous rotation. That is it is possible to use scripts as animation triggers (and sexps as script triggers..)
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Hmm... Should be... only problematic part may (or may not) be the continuous rotation. That is it is possible to use scripts as animation triggers (and sexps as script triggers..)

Hmmn, so sexps can be used for script triggers? Is that how the SC Lamia does its thing? (arms come together when it fires, supposidely . . .). If someone made say the Andromeda Ascendant which has so-called "Battle-foils" which open up before combat, they could trigger/script them to open (and stay open) and later to close and stay closed? On a related note, how would presets work? Ie if the above was possible, would the ship always start the mission in closed position? Or could the FREDer specify that they be either open or closed before the mission commences?

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack

Hmmn, so sexps can be used for script triggers? Is that how the SC Lamia does its thing? (arms come together when it fires, supposidely . . .). If someone made say the Andromeda Ascendant which has so-called "Battle-foils" which open up before combat, they could trigger/script them to open (and stay open) and later to close and stay closed? On a related note, how would presets work? Ie if the above was possible, would the ship always start the mission in closed position? Or could the FREDer specify that they be either open or closed before the mission commences?

See script-eval; not sure how the Lamia does its thing; yes, if it just needed rotation and not translation; you would encode the values in the scripts (or make the scripts read another file); not necessarily; not from FRED, but you could make a separate file with mission/ship names and a script to read it that would let FREDders set the foil positions.
-C

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
is that axem's ship? i think he just used the built in submodel animation, and some math to determine the proper rotations.

ive done script based animations for control sticks, and turrets, but i perfer to use table based animation whenever possible. you can stack table based animations as well. nukemod should have a rather complex animation for the rumrunner's fighter bay doors.

i only use script based animation, for complex animations which are linked to some script accessible value.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
True, there's also a triggerAnimation function you can use as well.
-C

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
if yet to finish a ship that has really complicated animations. but i do have models in the pipeline (which unfortunately is clogged :D ) that will make extensive use of animations, some of which will be scripted.

my main problem with the table based animations is the forced requirement that they be two way. gatling turrets would be easy if i could specify a one way animation. also the linked animation type was never further developed, so i do value linked animations with scripting.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Hmmn, forgotten about this whole animation thing. I might try making a ship which is basically a little fighter transport, with doors that open to release the fighters. Once I get to that point I might try to see if I can't get the darn thing animated. To have the doors open and close that is. Actually, come to think of it, the ship I'm thinking of working on is a renegadelegion ship, little fighter carrier with 6 fighters each with its own door and some holding arms. I wonder if I could instead of having a hangar, basically have each fighter docked to some arm inside the ship. then instead of exiting a hangar, the doors would open, the fighter would undock and then fly out. Of course, that might lead to all kinds of crashing into things. But who knows.

There's something vaguely similar in TBP when in Raider wars they tried to emulate a cargofrieghter carrier. Where the cargo opens up to release a fighter each. But instead of opening, the cargo pods just exploded and the fighters were there instead. Obviously, a little different.