Author Topic: Mouse script  (Read 8883 times)

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
I had no idea this existed. :) I'll have to try it as an alternative to the "PPJoyMouse" solution I've been using.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Data/Scripts? So we now have a new folder? :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Been there for years...
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
The script is superb! Well done! :yes:

Is it going to be added to the MVPs?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
The script is superb! Well done! :yes:

Is it going to be added to the MVPs?

Very unlikely, mainly because it would change the control scheme pretty fundamentally and I can't think of an easy way to enable/disable it if it were integrated to the (main) MediaVP's. And there would very likely be a lot of people who would either prefer the old mouse control or be unwilling to learn the new one, which means a possibility to switch it on and off would be a must.

It works much better as a mod OR possibly an add-on to mediaVP's as far as I am concerned. Something similar to MV_AbolishAnimGlows.vp (which disables animated glowmaps) might be within possibilities, but not in the main set of VP's.

At least that is my stance. FSU team mileage may vary (although I suspect similar sentiments would be in the majority).
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
It works much better as a mod OR possibly an add-on to mediaVP's as far as I am concerned. Something similar to MV_AbolishAnimGlows.vp (which disables animated glowmaps) might be within possibilities, but not in the main set of VP's.

That seems a valid option. Obviously, it's up to the FSU team to decide. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Given what Herra has stated (that I concur with completely) and the fact that it has zero operationality in the RC of Windows7 (at least in 64 bit), it will not be added as an MVP feature for 3.6.10 when the final release goes out.

This is not to say that it will be denied entry, as it is entirely possible that if enough people dig it, it may end up in 3.6.11 or later.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
It shouldn't have anything to do with the Media VPs. It's a mod, plain and simple. It changes the control scheme; it affects gameplay and doesn't have anything to do with enhancing the audiovisual experience.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
And there is that as well.

At most, an FSU member might be kind enough to package all up into a VP, but not under the Official banner or as an official Add-on.
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
you know it can be scripted in a way that it adds new settings to the options menu, so even with the script running you can turn its features on or off as desired. also it would need to be scripted in a fairly compatible way script wise. in other words its vars shouldnt clash with other scripts that mods may use. those considerations met, i see no problem with the script being added to the vps.

on the other hand the game sorely needs an input upgrade, and this kind of mouse flight should be part of it, along with lots of other features. all this should be done engine level too.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Could somebody please explain how to install this script?

Thanks.

When I try to install the script, I get a ton of errors in setcontrolmode when I try to start a mission. what gives?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Umm. You know, if you would tell us what errors you get, we might be able to help you....
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Could not find index 'setControlMode' in type 'Base'

------------------------------------------------------------------
ADE Debug:
Name:      (null)
Name of:   (null)
Function type:   (null)
Defined on:   0
Upvalues:   0

Source:      (null)
Short source:   
Current line:   0

LUA Stack:

1: Userdata [Base]
2: String [setControlMode]

I think setcontrolmode actually isn't in the "final" build for 3.6.10?  I was told that was my problem elsewhere...

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Are you running Vista or Win 7? Because this script doesn't like that OS, even once you get it to stop having errors.

Are all of the files in the right locations?

data\tables\script_mouse-sct.tbm
data\scripts\mouse_script.cfg

¤[D+¬>

XP Pro SP3.

I think the version of 3.6.10 I have doesn't actually HAVE the setcontrolmode variable. running it in 3.6.9 doesn't cause any change whatsoever.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
No, you need a nightly made any time after 06-08-2009.

¤[D+¬>

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Also, just for future reference, don't ask the same question in multiple boards. It tends to irritate people.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

I really like what this script does and I think it would be nice to include the option of using this or a similar method of control included with Freespace Open by default.

Some people who would play Freespace are turned away because they don't have a joystick.

I know it sounds rather trivial to those of us used to having one, but many PC gamers nowadays don't have joystick. A lot of games nowadays (X3: Terran Conflict and H.A.W.X. being recent examples), include something similar to this to allow for a similar level of control using the mouse for this reason. Having an easy to use option in Freespace would help a lot of PC gamers get into the game more easily.