Hosted Projects - Standalone > Diaspora 3rd Party Missions, Mods & Campaigns

Am I doomed?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Deora11:
May as well post in this thread, since the title is roughly the same.

I'm on/off during the conversion of 3 battlestars, and one thing keeps bogging me down during play testing stages......the load times.

Whilst it takes roughly 3 seconds to load the Sobek into the editor, which we all know has 277150 Polys on its Detail0; my current conversion of the Skinfaxi, which is sitting at 96824 polys, takes 44 seconds to load, whilst the 1/3 completed Hesperides take 19 seconds, which is currently at 36138 polys.

My question is what influences load times in terms of geometry, textures, cache files etc. And how does the Sobek load so quickly in comparison?

I'm am far from an expert modeller, honestly just starting out, however these battlestars have helped me through the learning process a lot, and I'd like to see them through.

(Just as a side note, I was able to obtain permission to convert these battlestars.  :D )

karajorma:
Interesting. I wouldn't mind taking a look at them in that case.

As for the loading times, is this every time you add a ship? Cause old builds of FS2_Open needed to build cache models before they could start being used. The Sobek already has one of those included in the VP file. Yours would need to generate them the first time you try to use them. After that, load times should improve.

What happens if you try a newer build?

Deora11:
Wow.

Running Diaspora on 3.7.4 reduced load times to just a few seconds. I was running it on the original Build 1 Diaspora and the load times were huge (I haven't obtained the 1.1 patch yet (laziness)). The game itself wasn't producing cache files for either ship, now it is.

Seems my problem was with builds. Stress has now subsided. Conversions can proceed with happyness. :)

karajorma:
Good luck with that. Keep us informed of any progress you make.

AdmiralRalwood:

--- Quote from: Deora11 on September 27, 2016, 06:40:15 am ---Running Diaspora on 3.7.4 reduced load times to just a few seconds.
[...]
The game itself wasn't producing cache files for either ship, now it is.

--- End quote ---
Wait... are you saying 3.7.4 is generating cache files? Because, uh... 3.7.4 doesn't have any code for reading or writing them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version