Author Topic: [Request] "Remote Detonate" Assistance  (Read 12457 times)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
[Request] "Remote Detonate" Assistance
Some time ago I was pondering the Infyrno and how to make it a bit more useful (tl;dr the canon Infyrno was too little range to be useful in a "jousting" situation); I settled for an increase in range by upping the lifetime (as you can see in Walking on Ashes).

While that basically "solved" my issue with the weapon's functionality, it not a very user friendly solution - unless you are firing the missile into a formation that is in front of you and travelling in the same direction as you you will have to guess how the shot will work out.
I kinda like that in a part masochistic, part "thats how you reward skill"-way, going forward that might be limiting issue as it would impact how readily "skill shot" missiles like the Infyrno would be accepted (make them easier to use = more readily accepted).

So I was thinking, it should be possible to give the player better information as to what effect a weapon with the "remote detonate"-flag has - the engine already gives you your distance from the missile and you have the your distance from any intended target along with its speed on your HUD. While that's some of the basic information right there, howver the blast range of the weapon is of course nowhere to be found (except when you actually write it the description of the weapon, which is not accessible in mission).
(Side Bar: this wouldn't be any help with the Infyrno, the Piranha, FS_Port's Havoc or BP2's Slammer as they also spawn child weapons - which comes with a different set of issues.)

So couldn't it also be possible via scripting to highlight any ships that are currently in the blast radius of an active "remote detonate"-flag weapon?
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Re: [Request] "Remote Detonate" Assistance
Couple ideas:
-make the info about the weapon range accessable in-mission (if any player banks has them put a training msg there)
-compensate lack of info through limited heat homing
-replace remote detonate through this: https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/Weapons.tbl#.24Arm_radius:
-Scripting sounds possible but you'd have to find somebody to volunteer

Offline 0rph3u5

-make the info about the weapon range accessable in-mission (if any player banks has them put a training msg there)

As far as Pendragon is concerned I already have plans to add "Missile Stats window" as a custom HUD gauge - I just have to find time to make a final decision on where all the HUD gauges will finally go - you know, the step is on the board but I've not gotten around to it yet.

-replace remote detonate through this: https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/Weapons.tbl#.24Arm_radius:

Replacing "remote detonate" would make it less about the player controlling the weapon. - What I want is to work out another niche between homing missiles and dumbfires, esspecially at medium to long range (2500m and beyond), and using "remote detonate" seems to be good candidate to utilize here.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline 0rph3u5

An additional explaination might be neccessary:

Right now I am not working on new weapons for any Freespace-related project, but I am pinning down weapon concept for Pendragon so I have a fully compliment to balance against each other in testing. Pendragon I am aiming for more agility focused gameplay compared to FS (with high strafe and reverse speeds relative to the foward velocity as well as Glide).

So you can guess that I am actually considering weapons with which after you have fired, you then move your ship in revese and wait for it reach a point where you would want to detonate it.

==================

Offline 0rph3u5

The page-to-game transition of all my current "remote detonate"-weapons is has been completed, so a *bump* to remember that I'd really think this is a good idea.

==================

Seeing the Käfig thing, does FSO now support negative/reverse spawn or did you worked around that?

Offline 0rph3u5

$Minimum Spawn Angle is a recent addition which is what makes reverse spawning possible; EatThePath told me that is a reality since the nightlies of early June (20200609).

==================

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
These are interesting.  Looking forward to seeing them implemented / expanded.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Oh that's a nice thing~

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft
I don't know if you found a solution, but I thought it was an interesting problem and tried to solve it myself.

It required me to make a custom build of FSO to expose the explosion's radius to the Lua API, though, so it'd still depend on it being accepted and merged into the core FSO repository.

Enemy ships within the "Outer Radius" value for the weapon's explosive are highlighted in yellow (it looks white in the video but that's just because the recording isn't very high quality).
My build also exposes the "Inner Radius" value to the scripting API, so one could theoretically highlight in different colors depending on how much damage is expected, and even do a gradient.
Potato!