Modding, Mission Design, and Coding > Help Wanted/Offering Help

Need a 'textcanon' GTSG Mjolnir

(1/5) > >>

Novachen:
Heyya guys,

a small request.

I stumpled in the technical database over this tech entry for the GTSG Mjolnir.

--- Quote ---Vastly tougher and deadlier than the earlier Watchdog, Cerberus, and Alastor models, the Mjolnir is a danger to any hostile fighter or bomber that comes within range. Its two beam weapons and three missile banks enable it to take on multiple bogeys simultaneously.
--- End quote ---

The Mjolnir that is in the game has actually nothing to do with it. So i am looking for a Mjolnir that offers these additional features, because i want to integrate it into my translation/upgrade for FreeSpace 2.

So the new model (or is there an already existing one?) should be also able to fulfill the same role as the Anti-captial ship sentry in the campaign, too.

To visualize my idea:

The main/front aaa beam should be able to fire on targets at the front. The rear aaa beam should be able to protect the complete back and a bit of the side of the Sentry Gun, that is the reason why it should be of top on a small tower.
And the three missile launchers should be positioned on three of the arms. Maybe the rotation speed of the arms have to be reduced, so that the launchers are able to target and to fire their missiles in time... Also this rotating segment should not be an own subsystem anymore, because i do not know what actually happens with the turrets, if you destroy it. :D Exception could be, if its "destruction" simply stop its rotation only.
That is actually the idea i had in mind after i read the technical entry... So this Mjolnir would have it's weakness if you attack it from the side, which should be fine for the first line of such sentries.

Thanks in advance to whoever is interested to make this model. :).

Nyctaeus:
The initial draft of Mjolnir was apparently something different. V provably envisioned it as complex defence system capable of both defending itself, prociding anti-fighter screen for crucial objects like installations or jump node areas and finally, to inflict tremendous damage to cruiser-sized targets and bigger.

ProtoMjolnirs were just op :P. V realized that, and made a new model to be more demanding from gameplay perspective, but forgot to write a new tech description.

As for the model itself, I guess it really existed but it was dropped before FS2 was released. To make something like that, you would actually have to design this thing from scratch. It's easy to mount AAAf, but there is no proper spot for missile lanchers because almost half of the surfaces of Mjolnir are rotating.

Colonol Dekker:
I always thought it sounded like a GOD platform from babylon 5.

Not sure what the usage would be on that model without permission, so I'd say have a play with making one using the existing model.   There's a kitbash tutorial on the modding subforum that walks you through adding submodels. 

Give it a go  :) :yes: :yes:

Novachen:

--- Quote from: Colonol Dekker on June 12, 2019, 09:58:58 am ---I always thought it sounded like a GOD platform from babylon 5.

Not sure what the usage would be on that model without permission, so I'd say have a play with making one using the existing model.   There's a kitbash tutorial on the modding subforum that walks you through adding submodels. 

Give it a go  :) :yes: :yes:

--- End quote ---

Well, i will try it. It is actually many years ago since i added submodels to an already existing model. So i was not even sure how i make that  :D

So i will read through that, i think.

Because this thing sounds interesting and not even too OP actually. Also it would work in the Retail campaign without any rebalancing, nevertheless.

But for the time being, i have changed the tech description to the model that is present in the game.

--- Quote from: Nyctaeus on June 12, 2019, 09:27:37 am ---As for the model itself, I guess it really existed but it was dropped before FS2 was released. To make something like that, you would actually have to design this thing from scratch. It's easy to mount AAAf, but there is no proper spot for missile lanchers because almost half of the surfaces of Mjolnir are rotating.

--- End quote ---

Is it not possible to have turrets on rotating submodels in FS2?
I mean, that rotating stuff could be the reason why they need only three instead five missile launchers... because due to the rotation, everything in range can be targeted and attacked.

Nightmare:

--- Quote ---Is it not possible to have turrets on rotating submodels in FS2?
--- End quote ---

It is possible.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version