Author Topic: Ep. 421 "Daybreak: Part 2" Discussion (SPOILERS)  (Read 35749 times)

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Re: Ep. 421 "Daybreak: Part 2" Discussion (SPOILERS)
...the red paint centurions? They looked like they were right out of Braveheart. I loved it. It made them look even more badass than they were before. And the fact that they didn't wash it off by the end of the show shows they liked it too.

Da red wunz go fasta. :p
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
One thing that makes me angry is that in the end, it didn't matter at all if the fleet survived or not. Think about it: they didn't bring any technology to the new world, they threw it all into the sun. They didn't start again and try and continue with their lives, they just sort of stopped. They set back the human scientific understanding of the universe by tens of thousands of years. They did bring knowledge, thought, but not the means to use all of it. They have enough knowledge to survive, but that's essentially it.

If the fleet was destroyed, say at the beginning of the fourth season, it's perfectly possible that the same end result would have happened: with people on "Earth" being a technological civilization 150,000 years later.

Other than that (the last half hour or so), it was an excellent ending. It's just that the above lingers in my mind and gnaws at it.

I was half expecting Cavil to pull a really tricky stunt on everyone:
He knew where the fleet was the whole time, waited for Adama to feel secure to do an "assault" bringing the Five with him, (For him, both Hera and Ellen were chips in order to get the Five to the Colony) and at that moment wipes out the fleet. Then he tries to use "you don't have a viable breeding population to rebuild humanity" (have a bit of "By my estimates you have... what 1,800 aboard? About 200 casualties now? Sure most are in their prime... but you have a dying ship, no infrastructure, and if by some miracle you did find a planet you'd be running around wearing skins and using stone knives... so here's my deal...") as a bargaining chip for resurrection as he believes both will see the 'light of reason' and understand it's the only way to survive. It'd tie in even more strongly with what Lee wants since at that point the options would be to "go primitive" or become like the Cylons, and they saw how that wasn't a solution to the cycle.

However, probably only EJO would have been happy with wiping out everyone who didn't volunteer for the suicide mission ;)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 02:01:52 am by Ace »
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Well, I'm in the minority here I see but damn that sucked. I'm wiping everything after the reveal of Africa from space out of my memory and pretending it never happened so as not to completely spoil the best sci fi show in years. Ugh. :(

Very, very disappointing.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline newman

Only part of that statement I agree with is "best sci-fi show in years" :D
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Well, I'm in the minority here I see but damn that sucked. I'm wiping everything after the reveal of Africa from space out of my memory and pretending it never happened so as not to completely spoil the best sci fi show in years. Ugh. :(

Don't you LOVE YOUR GOD? WELL DO YOU?

That sci-fi bit, yeah, it spoils the sci-fi because it's not sci-fi.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
You know he doesn't like to be called God.

Read: The interpretations about the identity/character of the Imperious Leader hidden in the shadows is open. But of course, there's no pleasing everyone... Silly me. Silly, silly me.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
And anyone else notice a lot of holes in the story? Raptors jumped from inside Galactica and didn't tear it apart? Galactica jumped from inside the colony and didn't tear that apart or even leave a scratch? And that conviniently placed and timed nuke launch was wierd as hell too. It

You didn't see the whole side of the flight pod burst open when the Raptors jumped out?

Galactica looked like it had 'backed out' a little when it jumped. In any case the Colony was WAY to big too be seriously damaged by anything as tiny as Galactica.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Incredible.

Outstanding.

Utterly heartbreaking, and mind-bogglingly amazing.

Let's everyone raise a glass, regardless of what you thought of this end, to Battlestar Galactica; a truly great vision of science fiction that may never be repeated within our lifetime.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
Wat?

They make better Anime, on like, a daily basis.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.

Hmmm, it provided some good closure. I mean, that's what it was all about, depriving us of it would've pissed off me for one.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Wat?

They make better Anime, on like, a daily basis.

If you like anime, that is. However, there are those among us who *GASP* prefer Live Action stuff. Shows like BSG are a once-in-a-decade deal, really. Shows like BSG that actually end in a satisfying manner are even rarer.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
He said "truly great vision of science fiction".

What you prefer or don't prefer is irrelevant.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Wait, what? I prefer live action TV over Anime.
There are anime shows that reach the quality of BSG and Firefly (Cowboy Bebop springs to mind), but those are not that common either. And please remember that "a truly great vision of SF" is as subjective as it gets, so this is very much a "your mileage may vary"-deal.

Kara was the Harbinger of Humanity's demise? I think so...
One of the observations that I forgot to mention last night was that since Hera=Lucy and Lucy=Our "humanity's" Eve (our "humanity"=half Cylon) then doesn't that imply that none of the descendants of the Colonial Fleet survived long enough to exert dominance and be "The" definitive ancestors of our modern "human" race.  Which means that the Colonial strain of humanity went extinct,  which means...

Kara really was the Harbinger of Humanity's Destruction. 

Right?

:confused:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Kara was the Harbinger of Humanity's demise? I think so...
One of the observations that I forgot to mention last night was that since Hera=Lucy and Lucy=Our "humanity's" Eve (our "humanity"=half Cylon) then doesn't that imply that none of the descendants of the Colonial Fleet survived long enough to exert dominance and be "The" definitive ancestors of our modern "human" race.  Which means that the Colonial strain of humanity went extinct,  which means...

Right?

Nope.

Hera's not Lucy, she's Mitochondrial Eve. That means that everyone on Earth can trace their maternal line back to her.

Let's say Lee also had a bunch of kids, but they were all male. He wouldn't have any maternal-line descendants. It's perfectly reasonable that plenty of colonists had a lot of kids (male and female alike). But Hera is our common maternal ancestor.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
"Kara Thrace will lead the human race to its end, she is the herald of the Apocalypse, the Harbinger of death" That is what the hybrid said about her in "Razor". The human race, as defined in the show, comprises the people of the fleet. The people living on Earth today are a mixture of colonial, cylon and original Earth 2 genomes. Thus, the human race has ended. Herald of the Apocalypse, Harbinger of death....Don't know about that. But I think it could refer to the "death" of the cycle of destruction that was referenced by the "All of this has happened before..." stuff.

Offline TESLA

• 1.21 gigawatts!
I think I see Centurions out my window..

Aghhhh their back!!!!!!!!!!

Its possible their could be some terrible spin off show in a few years time "Return of the Cylons"
Maybe they were watching our progress the whole time!
Nukes on standby...

Just as a matter of curiousity, are all other Cylons now dead? As in all the Cavils, etc, and old style centurions?? Their must be some baseships still out there...........somewhere.......

In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced
to talk to God.

There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened.

I think I see Centurions out my window..

Aghhhh their back!!!!!!!!!!

Its possible their could be some terrible spin off show in a few years time "Return of the Cylons"
Maybe they were watching our progress the whole time!
Nukes on standby...

Just as a matter of curiousity, are all other Cylons now dead? As in all the Cavils, etc, and old style centurions?? Their must be some baseships still out there...........somewhere.......

I agree... I do think there are other basestars, with deceased 1-8's (except 7, and 150,000 yrs is quite a long time and I doubt the skinjobs are immortal), somewhere in a distant place.
Phasers?!?!?  We don't need no frakking phasers!

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Re: Kara was the Harbinger of Humanity's demise? I think so...

Right?

'Mitochondrial Eve' is not Lucy for frak's sake. :p

Also, those weren't Neanderthals. Those were located in Europe. :p

Also, Cottle's a grave robber.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

The fate of the Cylon Colony is certain...
I think that I can address part of your question, Tesla.

Especially after the second viewing, I'm completely confident that the Cylon Colony was knocked out of its "locked in" geosynchronous orbit by the Raptor's nukes, and it was last seen tumbling down towards the black hole.  At that point, it was absolutely imperative for the Galactica to jump, lest it get caught in its own event horizon and suffer the fate of the Cylon Colony.  

Other basestars teeming with Cavils and his ilk may be out there, but there was no hint or mention of them, so, who knows?  I didn't see any basestars there, and I doubt that they were parked on the backside of the base, where its even closer to the black hole's event horizon.  The only point that's immediately relevant is that those who could've had a direct impact on the fate of all who the Galactica guarded were present.  

Upon some reflection, I think that it might even be somewhat safe to say that "The" Cavil knew precisely where the fleet was, and if he had wanted them destroyed it would've been a matter of just giving the order--so why didn't he?  Egotism?  Sadism (he wanted them to suffer more)?  Incapability (Hera, stretched too thin)?  A combination of all three reasons?  

The incapability portion is what I'd like to think the Dispora team could really run with.  While I'm all for virtually recreating events from the established Galactica history, I strongly feel that there's a lot of room for following other (smaller) bands of Colonial survivors.  The reason why we didn't see any basestars at the Colony could be a or "the" major highlight of a campaign that's never covered within Galactica's arc, yet nevertheless has enormous consequences of what's seen on the show.

I desperately hope that the Diaspora team is ambitious enough to cover both what's seen in the series, and what's not.  In all honesty, I'm more interested in exploring what's not known, rather than what is.  

:)