Author Topic: Heard a bunch of sirens in the area  (Read 12283 times)

Re: Heard a bunch of sirens in the area
These threads are basically just trolling at this stage, you're only making them to spoil for a fight.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Actually it's his life.

I have lost long friendships over merely not opposing Israel, it seems this weird little strip of land brings out the worst in everyone. But then again the Holy Order of Social Justice does seem to have a weird hard-on for the religion of submission, maybe it's more that everyone is going along with Islam except the people Islam wants to wholesale rape/murder. Can I ask the people who are fuming at me right now, why do you have such a love affair with this ****ing death cult? You have no problem attacking Christianity for the insanity it is. Is it like the pro-life people who if you press them on the issue it turns out they just want to punish people who had sex outside a context they approve of? Are you just trying to destroy the dominant power in the world in hopes you can replace it with some sort of Utopia and you feel so hopelessly outgunned that you think you need to side with literally anyone who opposes it for any reason? Do you ever take a step back and ask yourself if you've fallen into a faulty line of reasoning? What are you fighting for? what is the world heading for? it doesn't look like anything good.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
To Bobboau: someone has taken exception to the phrase "****ing death cult" as being highly inflammatory.  Try not to be so... er... succinct, I guess.

To Phantom Hoover: kindly do not accuse someone who has posted about a tragic incident directly affecting his family and his neighborhood as "trolling".

To everyone: please keep in mind that everyone has strong, even passionate feelings about things being discussed in the thread.  You might want to reread what you write before you post it.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
and no one took exception with me describing Christianity as "insanity"? hmmm... weird.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
To Bobboau: someone has taken exception to the phrase "****ing death cult" as being highly inflammatory.  Try not to be so... er... succinct, I guess.

Oh **** off, Goober.  Take your own advice sometime.

and no one took exception with me describing Christianity as "insanity"? hmmm... weird.

If you call someone a "stupid mother****er" and then in the next breath call someone else "a little slow" which one do you think is going to get mentioned in a report?  Reports have a limited character count.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Well, this thread degenerated quickly.

For the record, I don't think Sandwich making a political point, however he chooses to do so, is at all off base for GenDisc.  The rest of this thread could be discarded quite readily, however.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Well, this thread degenerated quickly.

For the record, I don't think Sandwich making a political point, however he chooses to do so, is at all off base for GenDisc.  The rest of this thread could be discarded quite readily, however.

It's not.  Sandwich can make whatever political point he wants.  The specific exception I took was that it looked (and still looks) for all the world like he was using a recent tragedy to score political points.

To you. That is your opinion. It is not universally shared. Get over yourself already.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
It's not a universally shared opinion that the Earth is round, either. :doubt:  Sandwich made his position abundantly clear with his follow up post.  The perception remains unchanged.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
except by all the people challenging it.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Now let's look at the other side of the coin. What has Israel done to "deserve" these types of actions? Built houses on disputed territory?

The fact that you believe this is the only thing Israel has done to the Palestinians is the exact reason why this sort of thing keeps happening.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
except by all the people challenging it.
...And they changed Scotty's perception without him knowing how...?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

It's not a universally shared opinion that the Earth is round, either. :doubt:  Sandwich made his position abundantly clear with his follow up post.  The perception remains unchanged.

Nice false equivalence there. You are the first person to accuse of politicization. Several people have stated that they do not perceive such. Yet you persist in insisting that your viewpoint is a fact and an absolute. This is not so. Just because you think it does not make it true. In contrast, the flat earth is prima facie absurd given that the Earth was known to be spherical even in Columbus' day (The idea that it was flat vs round earth geography at stake in Christopher's mission is an urban legend. The debate was what size of spheroid it was, though why I don't know, because...), and the circumference had been fairly accurately calculated some centuries before that.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
I don't know why I bothered.  Predictable HLP is predictable. 

BTW, Joshua I wasn't referring to you in the Berlin thread, I was referring to PH.
I like to stare at the sun.

Now let's look at the other side of the coin. What has Israel done to "deserve" these types of actions? Built houses on disputed territory? Don't try to come up with some sort of moral equivalency between carrying out acts of murder and constructing houses on disputed lands. And yet that's exactly the comparison the UN recently condemned us for, which may very well have given the driver of the truck some misguided sense of justification for his actions in the world's eyes, in addition to the support and encouragement towards acts of violence he received his entire life through the Palestinian media and education system.

The building houses on disputed territory, as recently supported by Netanyahu's government (which is the crucial difference that made the vote go that way) is symbolical of a far bigger problem: That the Palestinians on the west bank don't have self determination. The Area C settlements  in the west bank are inhabited in part by Palestinians but they don't get to vote in the proceedings there, and the situation is similar in Eastern Jerusalem. Israel maintains the infrastructure in these regions but it does not give the Palestinians access to that same infrastructure. The problem that the UN has condemned is one of Israel treating the areas it occupies as areas it owns without giving a significant portion of the people that live inside those areas the right to make decisions about that, or even just basic human rights.

Putting more of Israel's civilians inside the territory it occupies gives it a mandate to increase IMF presence. It means that it has to expand the infrastructure to support these houses, which in turn means that Palestinian houses are demolished to make way, Palestinian civilians are expelled from their homes and that the Palestinian government is denied access to natural resources (water). Israel has the power to detain anyone in these areas indefinitely and without trail, and it frequently uses this with the stated cause of protecting the civilians it has moved or did not bar from moving into these territories from protestors (or they just shoot the protestors). When the Israel government commits to building more houses it commits to doing this even more, indicating that it is not committed to peace. It's so much more then just a bunch of bricks.

The issue is not whether or not these things are somehow morally equivalent. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Quote from: Klaustrophobia
BTW, Joshua I wasn't referring to you in the Berlin thread, I was referring to PH.
Phantom Hoover's post was a direct response to mine, they have not done anything I haven't there.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 05:53:05 am by -Joshua- »

Offline Luis Dias

This thread is ****, and Sandwhich is responsible for 0% of that ****tiness. It's incredible to me that people who have no dog in the fight whatsoever, like Scotty say, can be the one to respond in such an emotionally charged manner against someone who *does* live this **** every day. Check your ****ing privilege, Scotty. Armchair opinionating about foreign struggles while condemning people who live it everyday is really ****ing ****ty.

I might agree or disagree with the politics. It matters not. You can say so without completely disrespecting people and their experiences.

But then again the Holy Order of Social Justice does seem to have a weird hard-on for the religion of submission, maybe it's more that everyone is going along with Islam except the people Islam wants to wholesale rape/murder. Can I ask the people who are fuming at me right now, why do you have such a love affair with this ****ing death cult? You have no problem attacking Christianity for the insanity it is. Is it like the pro-life people who if you press them on the issue it turns out they just want to punish people who had sex outside a context they approve of? Are you just trying to destroy the dominant power in the world in hopes you can replace it with some sort of Utopia and you feel so hopelessly outgunned that you think you need to side with literally anyone who opposes it for any reason? Do you ever take a step back and ask yourself if you've fallen into a faulty line of reasoning? What are you fighting for? what is the world heading for? it doesn't look like anything good.

As a member of the Holy Order of Social Justice, a position that shall only be taken away over my dead and organ-harvested body, I have absolutely no idea why you went from the notion of refugees having the right to be protected or everyone having equal rights or my contributions to Israel discussions in the past as a sign that I or anyone who has argued similar things has a love affair with a death cult, like I am thrilled at the prospect of terror attacks. This is not a with us or against us game.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Holy Order of Social Justice
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

There are an awful lot of people here who have apparently never read a Sandwich GenDisc thread before.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
What I expected was another Sandwich thread about how evil the Palestinians are, what I got was all the mods and admins yelling at each other. Not expecting that.