Author Topic: Cutscene Upgrade Project  (Read 376956 times)

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Re: Cutscene Upgrade Project
Really nice! The original Bastion Dies cutscene was not one of my favourites since I felt it was a bit rushed and too bright, but I don't get the same vibes from your remake for some reason, even though the pacing and camera angles are exactly the same.

Good work on the visual effects - the background more closely resembling what we see in-game, the shockwave coming from the detonation, and the flames more clearly showing the debris being sucked into the collapsing node. I especially liked how you've made the latter more obvious, and it leaves a good final impression of the cutscene.

The Herc II that kills the second Shivan fighter seems to perform the about-turn a bit too fast (right after the pilot says "bandit down") for a heavy assault fighter, looking as though the pilot had enabled mouselook. You might want to slow down the turn a little.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
By the time I noticed that about face issue I had already done a lot of the post effects. I slowed it down some but if I changed it anymore then I'd have to redo a lot of work. So I decided to just leave it. It's pretty far away from the camera and the eye is drawn to the myrms at that point anyway.

And yeah I agree. I'm not sure what it is, but the original always felt plain. I'm very happy that my version has a little more life.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 11:41:50 pm by mjn.mixael »
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Ok, I just tried inserting these new movies for FS1 into my respective data1\data\movies and data\data\movies folders and I made sure to rename the old movies (I didn't want to overwrite them permanently), but the game would only play the old versions. Funny thing though, the new versions are mp4 files while the old versions are mve files. Is that why the new versions aren't working? If so, why are these new versions made as mp4 files instead of mve files?
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The problem is with you and not the files.

They belong in freespace2\fsport\data\movies not... whatever those filepaths are.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Rewatched upgraded hall fight on YouTube yesterday,  it took me over 20b ears to realise the Shivans personal beam cannons aren't in their heads.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
The problem is with you and not the files.

They belong in freespace2\fsport\data\movies not... whatever those filepaths are.
Even the FS1 movies belong in the FS2 folder? That’s weird.

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
It's an FS2 campaign in this case.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Uh, I think what Mjn wanted to say is that the files should go into <mod library>/FSPort/data/movies, or perhaps <mod libary>/fsport-mediavps/data/movies.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Well putting them into the FS2 folder will make sure they're always there when needed. (might conflict if you have the old FS2 intro there though)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Uh, I think what Mjn wanted to say is that the files should go into <mod library>/FSPort/data/movies, or perhaps <mod libary>/fsport-mediavps/data/movies.

this. mod library is usually named Freespace2 or FS2

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
What makes this so confusing is that I have multiple folder paths with both Data folders and Movies folders. Here's a sample of what's in my GOG folder alone:

For Freespace 1:
C: > GOG Games > Freespace > data1 > Data > movies (this is the folder path I put Mjn's FS1 cutscenes in thinking this was one of the correct folders as it contain the original Ancients1, CommandBrief, Intro and Lab)

C: > GOG Games > Freespace > data2 > data > movies (this is the folder path I put Mjn's FS1 cutscenes in thinking this was one of the correct folder as it contained the original Ancients 2 through 5, Endgame and Hallfight.

Even after putting the new cutscenes in the above folders (and renaming the old movies by adding an "a" to the end of them), the new cutscenes still would not play, the old ones played as usual instead.

For Freespace 2:
C: > GOG Games > Freespace 2 > data > movies (this is the folder path I put Mjn's FS2 cutscenes in thinking this was the correct folder)

C: > GOG Games > Freespace 2 > data2 (this doesn't have a movies folder but it has COLOSSUS.MVE, INTRO.MVE and MONO1.MVE in it)

C: > GOG Games > Freespace 2 > data3 (this doesn't have a movies folder but it has the original bastion.ogg, endpart1.ogg, endpart2a.ogg, endpart2b.ogg, mono2.ogg, mono3.ogg and mono4.ogg foles here. I placed Mjn's BASTION.MVE, ENDPART1.MVE, ENDPART2A.MVE, ENDPART2B, MONO2.MVE, MONO3.MVE and MONO4.MVE in this folder)

Yeah, this sh!t is thouroughly confusing. :doubt:

The Order of the Stick

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The data1-data3 folders represent CDs 1-3 for the original installation media.  You're modifying the actual game installation, which is fine (within reason) but that is best used for the old launching method with retail or wxLauncher.  For Knossos, you'll need to find the Knossos folder and then find the FSPort mod folder.

My advice is to wait for the next FSPort release, which will happen very shortly after the next MediaVPs release.  It will contain all the latest updates, including the new cutscenes.  You can install through Knossos and not have to worry about copying files into the right folder.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
My advice is to wait for the next FSPort release, which will happen very shortly after the next MediaVPs release.  It will contain all the latest updates, including the new cutscenes.  You can install through Knossos and not have to worry about copying files into the right folder.

Oh, thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster! This is good news. Any word on roughly when the next release will be?

The Order of the Stick

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
"...very shortly after the next MediaVPs release"

It depends on the FSU.  It was previously planned for end of June, but it got pushed back due to more models being added.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Makin' that new Ravana look menacing...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 11:54:42 pm by mjn.mixael »

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
It's unfortunate that video compression makes the nebula look more pixelated than it actually is. Do you think this would be a problem in FSO?
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It's unfortunate that video compression makes the nebula look more pixelated than it actually is. Do you think this would be a problem in FSO?

Oof. I hadn't watched the Youtube upload until just now. The version in FSO will be much better. You can download it from the first post of this thread if you'd like to see for yourself.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Woot, my favorite Bosch monologue is finally done! And that new Ravana looks as menacing as it needs to be here, cable nodules and all. :D

The Order of the Stick

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I really wasn't going to post any more WIP pics in this thread because I'm pretty tired of the uninformed nitpicks, but I just had to post this one from the Colossus cutscene. It's a celebration of how far FSU has come for sure.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Damn, now that is nice. Very well done indeed, Mjn.

The Order of the Stick