Author Topic: RELEASE: The Aftermath Reboot  (Read 163042 times)

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Re: RELEASE: The Aftermath Reboot
Oh yes, one important thing.

Whatever incompatibity fixes you had made when the March 2020 came out, you have to redo it again because I still used the FSO 372 in making this update.

Like I said before, Knossos and newer FSO builds doesn't work on my end, I tried it.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Yeah. When I made this in 2012 (the original before the Reboot) , I wasn't aware that there is campaign out there with the same name.

And now I get it. You developed a campaign whose name matched that of Cold Element's Aftermath, then rebooted your own campaign; that's why I got confused. I thought this was a reboot of CE's Aftermath. You should definitely add some FreeSpace Wiki coverage of your work, or get someone to help you out in the process. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Update came also with Knossos?

Knossos was last updated on 30th March when TBG was released.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
This update is new. The march update in Knossos was superceded by this latest update. I hope Knossos will make the proper update.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Playing through The Aftermath. First of all, congratulations for delivering this mod, it really added something to the variety of fan made campaigns. I'll be posting a short review once I'm done with the first campaign.  :)

In secundis, however:

Spoiler:

:lol:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
In secundis, however:

:lol:

Simple the best container of all time. :rolleyes:

For that i would destroy even more stars.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 01:30:28 pm by Novachen »
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Stumbled upon what could possibly be a bug in Galileo's Demise:

Spoiler:
I make it to the Titan's fighterbay (mostly thanks to Shivan missiles "pushing" my spacesuit up to 350m/s), though judging from the mission script I'm not supposed to. Once I'm inside the fighterbay, I sustain quite a lot of damage to the consequent collisions as the Titan jumps out.

At that point, the Nightingale jumps in and I move to its fighterbay for landing. The debriefing kind of implies that I'm one of the few survivors, yet the mission is considered a failure. It happened two times.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Known bug in 1.1.0 version of Aftermath Reboot... Please roll back to 1.0.0 and try it again :/
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline CT27

Stumbled upon what could possibly be a bug in Galileo's Demise:

Spoiler:
I make it to the Titan's fighterbay (mostly thanks to Shivan missiles "pushing" my spacesuit up to 350m/s), though judging from the mission script I'm not supposed to. Once I'm inside the fighterbay, I sustain quite a lot of damage to the consequent collisions as the Titan jumps out.

At that point, the Nightingale jumps in and I move to its fighterbay for landing. The debriefing kind of implies that I'm one of the few survivors, yet the mission is considered a failure. It happened two times.

Just to be clear, were you not able to progress to the next mission? 

Also, did you install the latest update for Reboot (posted October 23rd I believe and in the OP)?

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I do have the latest version and I can't proceed any further in the campaign, unfortunately. MitoPL says the bug may be fixed by downgrading to the previous version, however.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline CT27

I do have the latest version and I can't proceed any further in the campaign, unfortunately. MitoPL says the bug may be fixed by downgrading to the previous version, however.

I know people had this problem about not being able to progress pass "Galileo's Demise".  In fact, I had this problem too before I switched to a previous version (the version I used was actually the one even before the March update of Reboot).  However, I tried putting in the files that were in the two download updates released on October 23 and it then worked with the most current version and I was able to progress past that mission. 

The current version of Reboot on Knossos is 1.1.  The October updates (AF-Root and AF-Extra) that are in the OP of this thread are not part of Knossos at all right now.  They are separate from that and must be installed manually whether one has installed Reboot via Knossos or the manual method (and use wxlauncher for example).  I'm not a Knossos expert and can't say if or when the October 23 updates will ever get integrated into the Knossos version of this campaign. 
Just to be 100% sure I have the facts straight of your situation:  You have managed to download the October 23 recently released Reboot update files (Root and Extra) and replace the Knossos 1.1 version of those files with the newer (October 23) ones?  Basically, you used the files that were in the download section of the OP of this thread (or another way to put it would be you used all the files on https://fsnebula.org/mod/AftermathReboot with the exception of replacing those with their newer respective October 23 version)?

I apologize that I can't be more help.  Herkie's the tech guy for this campaign and I'm not a FSO/Knossos expert or FREDer (and for a number of reasons Herkie can't get on this site as much anymore).  For what it's worth I do appreciate you playing this campaign.

Also, which build are you using for this campaign?  Herkie has said he can't get this to work with all newer builds.  I was able to get it past "Galileo's Demise" with 19.0 and the October 31, 2017 nightly fwiw.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 07:44:30 pm by CT27 »

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I'm running 1.1.0 on FSO 19.0.0. Whenever a mod recommends 19.0.0 I tend to stick with it because bugs may occur with later builds - one notable example was Twisted Infinities, which was almost unplayable on anything other than 19.0.0. (Other players may have had different experiences.)

If files other than those in The Aftermath's 1.1.0 Knossos package are required to run the mod properly, I'd recommend updating the Knossos package itself and releasing 1.1.1 featuring all required files.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline CT27

I'm running 1.1.0 on FSO 19.0.0. Whenever a mod recommends 19.0.0 I tend to stick with it because bugs may occur with later builds - one notable example was Twisted Infinities, which was almost unplayable on anything other than 19.0.0. (Other players may have had different experiences.)

If files other than those in The Aftermath's 1.1.0 Knossos package are required to run the mod properly, I'd recommend updating the Knossos package itself and releasing 1.1.1 featuring all required files.

I wish I could do that, but to be honest Herkie or someone else would have to do that as I don't know how to get the newer (released October 23) files onto Knossos.  Since I can't say when or if that will happen unfortunately I'd recommend doing the 5X death skip thing.

Offline Mito [PL]

I recall that there was at least one other mission in 1.1 broken in a similar way. The 1.0.0 Knossos release was really good in the terms of lack of bugs.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Unfortunately, I don't know anything about Knossos and they have not accounted the October update yet.

I wish somebody can fix this and the TBG uodate too.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
October update is now on Knossos.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
The update now allows the campaign to progress to the next mission, but I stumbled upon another issue in the process:

Spoiler:
The freighter that comes in to rescue the player and the other space suits is eliminated by Shivan anti-capital beams mere seconds after its arrival and there's no way to reach the freighter itself before that happens. If that freighter is destroyed, the mission fails. During my second attempt, however, I finally managed to complete the mission by destroying all Shivan warships via cheats.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Mito [PL]

I have heard of a similar situation before. It looks to me like the survivability of the freighter is somehow quite a bit random; not sure why that might be a thing. Randomised positions of some ships? Maybe some AI behaviours that aren't fully repeatable between playthroughs? Does that happen every single time now?
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline CT27

I'm sorry to hear about that issue with the freighter not always surviving.  I've never ran into that issue in all the playthroughs of various versions I've done. 

MJN, I also want to thank you for the work you've done.  Thank you for getting the most recent update onto Knossos.

There is one possible issue with that though.  On the download page for The Aftermath:  Reboot (https://fsnebula.org/mod/AftermathReboot) where people can download individual files, when one downloads "Root" one just gets AF-Root.vp.  When one clicks on "Root" in Herkie's OP of this thread one gets that .vp but one also gets "AF-MissionsV2.vp".  That 'V2' file as far as I know is necessary for the now canon ending of Reboot (the original ending of Reboot was changed to this newer version with the MissionsV2 vp).
So if people want the canon ending for Reboot, you might have to download this MissionsV2 vp from the OP of the thread and put it in your folder for Reboot.

FYI, the canon ending of Reboot is that
Spoiler:
The Avenger corvette survives and is present in the ending/credits cutscene and parade of ships.