Author Topic: [WIP] GTD Nuadha  (Read 35092 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
No, that's the point. It shouldn't be a child subobject of detail0, it should be part of the main detail0 mesh, otherwise you can have rendering issues where you'll be able to see through the whole ship (though not always).
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
Okay then. So I would just add it and position it then.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
Update: It's been several days since the last update and I've mostly been working on new concepts for the way my turrets are designed. Here is one possible iteration.

[attachment deleted by ninja]

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
Update here with a proposed VLS system and little bit more detailed turret. Would VLS systems count as a turret?

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
Yes, the VLS systems would indeed count as a turret. The UEFg Narayana and UED Solaris from Blue Planet have plenty of them, if you want an example to go off.

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
Thanks. So what do you think of the turret designs now?

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
I think I liked them better before the new turret design. The raised thingy on the back looks...strange. Unless you're intending to move the barrels onto the raised thingy?

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
That was not my intention. I just really need to improve my modeling overall until I become (hopefully) as good as Esarai or Dagger... Maybe someday.

In the mean time, do you any specific recommendations as to what I could do about the turrets?

I thought about making it similar to an IRL battleships big guns and then adding some greebling to make it more detailed.

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Personally, I think your current turret design is alright.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
That was not my intention. I just really need to improve my modeling overall until I become (hopefully) as good as Esarai or Dagger... Maybe someday.

In the mean time, do you any specific recommendations as to what I could do about the turrets?

I thought about making it similar to an IRL battleships big guns and then adding some greebling to make it more detailed.

Hmm, okay. I'm not really sure to recommend at the moment, so go ahead with the IRL battleship thing, and let's see how it goes!

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
The model is looking great  :yes:. I'll just say that you need to think more on the overall shape rather than individual details. For example, the back looks a bit odd because it seems that the ship just stops and then someone glued the thrusters. As an example, look into Hades' Hemera or Aesaar's Erebus for two different approach on that. And don't get fooled by the details and eyecandy, the overall shape is very important. So concentrate on the flow and shapes, then add detail. But always keep in mind the overall shape and flow, so it won't look as if a tone of cables was just straped to the surface of your vessel for no reason. The only way to get good at this is to see other peoples work and think on the way the used shapes, skipping the details.

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
The model is looking great  :yes:. I'll just say that you need to think more on the overall shape rather than individual details. For example, the back looks a bit odd because it seems that the ship just stops and then someone glued the thrusters. As an example, look into Hades' Hemera or Aesaar's Erebus for two different approach on that. And don't get fooled by the details and eyecandy, the overall shape is very important. So concentrate on the flow and shapes, then add detail. But always keep in mind the overall shape and flow, so it won't look as if a tone of cables was just straped to the surface of your vessel for no reason. The only way to get good at this is to see other peoples work and think on the way the used shapes, skipping the details.

I think I understand what you're getting at. Expect big update in future.

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
Thanks for the comment, Dagger. I was going to go ahead and edit my post with something more in-detail, but you ninja'd me. Ugh, I can't think lately in regards to giving advice/criticism.   :blah:

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
So I think this might be a bit better than the original aft end. Thoughts?

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
Way better!!  :yes:

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
Splendid!  :yes:

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
So I got some public opinion (Some personal friends and classmates) on my turrets. After some collaboration, I have a new base design that can be worked on. Thoughts?

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline Husker

Overall, it's freaking awesome. Can't wait to see this in a campaign.

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
I'm guessing I can keep this turret then?

Now I have some questions regarding textures, should I put the UV maps from the hull and turrets all into one texture (and if so, how)?

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
For a capship like this, you'll probably need multiple textures, covering different sections, and so, multiple UVmaps. I think you'd be well advised to just make a separate UVmap for the turrets.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial