Author Topic: No Man's Sky  (Read 29309 times)

So yeah it turns out that despite vague promises that you would be able to meet other players, you can't, at least in the current state of the game. This has of course pushed the fanbase straight back into the upper dramasphere.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline kode

• The Swedish Chef
  • The Swede
    • http://theswe.de
Yes, SE is actually fun.

No vague promises about the multiplayer though, just way too vague denials of multiplayer being a thing.
Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.
- Ambrose Bierce
<Redfang> You're almost like Stryke 9 or an0n
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
- Aldous Huxley
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Yeah... Sean Murray could have done a metric crapton better handling the questions pertaining to multiplayer
Vagueness leads to interpretation leads to assumptions leads to people taking the piss on your carefully constructed creation

Course, the gaming community on both sides of attack and defense of Sean Murray could do for a little toning down.

I'm on the cusp of buying this game, but it seems like there's some ironing out and more research required before I do. I expected a 3D Starbound with the goal of needing to meet up with people as per Sean Murray's descriptions of how meeting players goes

Now it's currently just Starbound LITE. But hey! Base building is apparently going to be a thing eventually. That is, if it doesn't completely destroy the servers in the process

I was excited about this three years ago. Not so much anymore, but still considering it as I wait for the kinks to be unkinked
"No"

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
I would have been a lot more interested in this game without the AAA pricetag, when Space Engine is free. I realize the comparison is ridiculous, but still. Definitely a "I'll wait for a sale" thing. But still, I do like the style that I've seen so far.

I would have been a lot more interested in this game without the AAA pricetag, when Space Engine is free. I realize the comparison is ridiculous, but still. Definitely a "I'll wait for a sale" thing. But still, I do like the style that I've seen so far.

I believe they're comparing it to "Space Engineers" which is more of a game than "Space Engine" and does have a pricetag. But I agree that $60 is a bit much for my palate.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
The last game I paid $60 for was a N64 cartridge.  Unless you count total spent on songs in Rocksmith.

Now I wish I had my old N64 to go back and play that game again.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline kode

• The Swedish Chef
  • The Swede
    • http://theswe.de
Turns out they bungled the pc port. Wait for the patches and enjoy the internet outrage for now.
Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.
- Ambrose Bierce
<Redfang> You're almost like Stryke 9 or an0n
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
- Aldous Huxley
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft
So very true
The steam page salt is real. So very real
"No"

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Whose bright idea was it to make you press and hold for every single interaction in the game? I'm one of the lucky ones not having any real technical problems with the game, but all these little UI problems add up to one big clunky mess.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
That's a Destiny thing, a ****load of the UI is basically a Destiny tribute album.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I've heard all (most) of the problems being experienced are from people using nVidia cards.  nVidia is releasing a driver update for NMS (can't remember when, check /r/gaming or /r/pcmasterrace on reddit, that's probably where I heard about it.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I've heard all (most) of the problems being experienced are from people using nVidia cards.  nVidia is releasing a driver update for NMS (can't remember when, check /r/gaming or /r/pcmasterrace on reddit, that's probably where I heard about it.

Which is really weird considering that NMS is apparently an OpenGL game.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Ah, alright, I went and checked my reddit history, it was /r/Games, sorry.

Quote from: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/4xer7l/totalbiscuitjohn_bain_on_no_mans_sky_pc_port_this/d6f1a0o
There's a pattern here - the steam reviews.

People with AMD - game is great, don't know what people are talking about with stuttering etc.

People with Nvidia - game stutters and crashes full of problems game is ****.

Fully expect Nvidia to push a driver update in the next couple of days - they're usually pretty quick when there's an obvious issue.

(obviously this doesn't fix issues with porting controls etc, but there's a definite divide inexperience)

Edit: A lot of people are responding with their own experiences, some confirm my suggestion, others flow against it.

As I've said in another comment, I merely noticed a correlation in the reviews on steam and found it noteworthy. There are definitely positive reviews on there, and it seems to be a real 'yay or nay' thing, either the game runs great or it falls over. That strongly correlated with card manufacturers at the time of my posting my initial observation.

The patch afterwards may have affected things for some, who knows. I suppose only time will tell what the cause of people's issues are.

They also apparently compiled it with SSE4.1 enabled, which means that those great optimists of the world who tried to run the game on 5 year old AMD CPUs have been left very disappointed.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft
That's a Destiny thing, a ****load of the UI is basically a Destiny tribute album.

This kinda makes me laugh given the part where Sean Murray told people not to expect Destiny and if they were, to play that instead because it's a great game
"No"

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Honestly, I'm rather enjoying this game. I only found it recently, so my hype level never skyrocketed like some folk.

I love exploration games. I don't mind a grind focused on exploration and then upgrades. I find the game rather relaxing! I also so much prefer games that are not online multiplayer. The only online game I play regularly is Splatoon and that hardly even counts because it's multiplayer is basically single player with humans instead of bad AI. (No voice chat, no advanced matchmaking, etc... just click play, get thrown on a random team and fight.)

Yeah many of the planets feel samey, but every once in a while you find a true gem of a world and it's just fantastic. Scenic vistas, weirdly interesting flora & fauna... just super relaxing to pander around looking for the resources I need to get some upgrade. I love it. There's also this article which some people are claiming was a paid review, but whatever. It sums up many of my thoughts on the game.

Oh, and my kids are just in AWE at being able to fly around the universe. Can't really beat the fun that comes from my kids getting really into watching me play the game.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

There's nothing wrong with a single-player game, there's plenty wrong with repeatedly saying there'll be multiplayer and then silently removing it.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I don't know that that's necessarily what happened. I kinda browsed the old interviews and never saw anything that was truly specific that multiplayer would be actual p2p style like an MMO. I could have missed it though.

Sure, he never promised extensive multiplayer. But he did say, outright, that if you and another player ended up in the same place on the same planet you'd both be able to see each other, something which has been shown to be completely untrue.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I'd be interested in reading that interview and seeing what else he said then.

Most conclusive thing I could find was this article that included links.

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/no-mans-sky-multiplayer-controversy-explained-server-issues-crushing-online-features-550145
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 04:46:12 pm by mjn.mixael »